Thread: FA Question

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

FA Question

Ok, I understand what a FA is... It's a player than can sign a contract with any club.

A "Unrestricted Free Agent" is a player with four years or more of NFL experience who can sign with their own team or any other team in the NFL. If they leave their previous team the team that signs them can do so without having to award the previous team compensation.

A "Restricted Free Agent" is a players with three years of NFL experience. Like an unrestricted free agent they are free to negotiate with any team however the current team has the right to match any offer and if they do so they retain the rights to the player. Failure to meet the offer means the player is awarded to the new team but the new team must give the old team compensation in the form of draft picks.

Now, I've read that the Eagles have asked for two first round draft picks for McNabb but he is neither a FA, UFA, or RFA (at least not that I can find.) If the Vikings decide they want him, I understand that the Eagles want as much as they can get but the Vikings are free to negoiotate payment aren't they. For instance, they could offer a first round pick this year and a 2nd round pick next year could they not, and if the Eagles accepted that it would be OK. Am I right?

Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

briannord is offline Rookie

Re: FA Question

Yeah in a trade the two teams can decide any terms they want.
    Although these terms have to be looked over by the league to make sure they are acceptable.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If we give them anything it should be a case of slimfast for the coach and three cans of chunky soup.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    If we give them anything it should be a case of slimfast for the coach and three cans of chunky soup.
    If that is what you are saying McNabb is worth then none of us are worth the air we're breathing.

Remeber the Iggles are asking for 2 firsts. Which means in the NFL language, "Lets over-price him by so much that people think we want to still keep him, so they might offer us that little bit more."

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    If that is what you are saying McNabb is worth then none of us are worth the air we're breathing.

Remeber the Iggles are asking for 2 firsts. Which means in the NFL language, "Lets over-price him by so much that people think we want to still keep him, so they might offer us that little bit more."

So what are you willing to give up to get him? Would you give even a first days pick for a QB who has not played a full season since 2004? He is not worth a pick, maybe a player trade.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

All I can say is I hope this staff (Not just the Chiller) learned a lesson last year with respect to thier buggeling job of getting KH.

The way I remember it:

a.
    The coaching staff still wanted something better than what we had on the bench to backup TJ.
    b.
    The staff originally asked for KH.
    c.
    The Iggles made a counter offer.
    d.
    This went on right up until just before the last pre-season game.
    e.
    We finally gave them what the originally asked us to give.
    f.
    We not only got screwed by the Iggles but our front office pukes as well.

In my book the front office staff sucks pretty much huge donkey dicks when it comes to QB selection.

Cutler, Clemens, Johnson, Garcia all could have been had if the price was met, offered or player picked.

What do we have, BB, KH, and "Futureboy" who has by the way, progressed, but isn't anywere ready to run the team next year.

Lets hope Bryzcheapski, Spielman and the rest of the front office pukes do a better job of getting any QB in here in time to compete for the job, learn the playbook and be effectively consistent when he runs it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg