Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Eyes, not hands, Williamson's main problem

[size=18px]Eyes, not hands, Williamson's main problem[/size]

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

MANKATO - Nameless faces and odd numbers darted all over the practice field this weekend. Most of them will never sniff the Vikings' final roster, but amid the anonymity stood one high-profile player who continued his seemingly endless game of catch-up.

Sidelined for much of the offseason by a skin infection, receiver Troy Williamson spent the early days of training camp working on basic -- and we mean basic -- fundamentals. By the time his fellow veterans took the field Monday afternoon, Williamson already had absorbed three days of instruction -- at times separated from the rest of the team -- on, yes, looking the ball into his hands and accelerating quicker in his pass routes.

"I thought he took some nice steps from the individual coaching he was able to get," coach Brad Childress said. "It was nice to be able to get [him] to that small of a group."

The No. 7 overall pick in the 2005 draft, Williamson was heralded for his 4.3-second time in the 40-yard dash, but his receiving skills were considered underdeveloped after playing in a run-oriented offense at South Carolina. He looked every bit the raw talent in 2005, catching 24 passes in 14 games while displaying erratic hands and finding his way into former coach Mike Tice's doghouse.

Childress wiped the slate clean and targeted him as a likely starter alongside Koren Robinson, but the infection slowed Williamson's progress and necessitated the early call to Mankato.

"I'm glad I was here," said Williamson, who worked with the first team during Monday afternoon's first full-squad practice. "I feel great now, no problems with my health, and I'm just trying to get back into the football side of things."

According to Williamson, coaches have traced some of his inconsistency not to poor hands but to his eye-hand coordination. Indeed, several Star Tribune photographs taken last season showed Williamson looking in one direction and the ball traveling in another.

"Everything is with my eyes, pretty much," he said. "I know that if I can get my eyes on the ball, I can just let my hands do the work. It will all work out."

If that skill develops into second-nature, the theory goes, Williamson will be free to focus on his primary asset: speed. While the Vikings still hope to use Williamson as a vertical threat, their installation of the West Coast offense places a greater priority on short and intermediate routes.

Speed still has a major impact on that part of the game because defenders might give a fast receiver just a little more room to make cuts for fear of getting beat deep. But in order for defenders to do so, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said, Williamson must accelerate quicker into those cuts.

"We've got to get him to improve," Bevell said. "We've got to get him out on the field. The biggest thing we preach to him every day is that we want his speed to show up on the field. We know that he has that time on paper, but we want to see that speed carry onto the field."

That project's uncertain timetable has left the Vikings adding veterans this summer to a receiving corps that bid farewell to the reliable Nate Burleson in free agency. Robinson seems certain to claim one starter's spot, but Williamson will compete for the other spot against a deep, if not star-studded, group that includes incumbents Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson.

The Vikings traded for Philadelphia receiver Billy McMullen in May and also have signed veterans Kevin Kasper and Dez White. It seems unlikely that more than five receivers will make the final roster, and typically the No. 5 receiver is a younger player.

"We wanted great competition there," Bevell said. "It will give them opportunities to make other guys better."

The directive applies to no one better than Williamson, who suggested he is ready to break free from his protective shell.

"I feel like I have put in a lot of hard work," he said. "And good things come out of hard work. I know what to expect now and what I needed to work on, so everything is coming along."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Eyes, not hands, Williamson's main problem

I do recall Jake Reed going thru eye problems, and folks thought he had stone hands.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Williamson, we're handing you tha reigns, dont let us down
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Hopefully this is a small problem and he can get it fixed.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

If he remembers where he should be, and where the ball should be, I think he'll be fine. Then hopefully he can use that much-lauded speed of his to stretch the field.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Williamson will be fine im sure. Im not worrying about it much. He should make a huge improvement this year and hopefully be a solid starter and then become a great one.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Williamson working on basic fundamentals
    Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:17:37 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Troy Williamson spent the early days of training camp working on very basic fundamentals. By the time his fellow veterans took the field Monday afternoon, July 31, Williamson already had absorbed three days of instruction, at times separated from the rest of the team, on, yes, looking the ball into his hands and accelerating quicker in his pass routes. "I thought he took some nice steps from the individual coaching he was able to get," head coach Brad Childress said. "It was nice to be able to get (him) to that small of a group." Childress wiped the slate clean and targeted him as a likely starter alongside WR Koren Robinson, but an infection slowed Williamson's progress and necessitated the early call to training camp. According to Williamson, coaches have traced some of his inconsistency not to poor hands but to his eye-hand coordination. "Everything is with my eyes, pretty much," he said. "I know that if I can get my eyes on the ball, I can just let my hands do the work. It will all work out."

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Hey, that is part of the game; basics, basics, basics. If Williamson is willing to work that hard with the basic skills on the daily, just think of what type of WR he will be in a few years!! Just relax Troy and go with the flow. Don't press, it will come to you.

WisconsinSucks is offline Asst. Coach

Anyone else notice last season that Troy was horrible correcting his route to the ball on long bombs?

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

How do you get to the NFL level without knowing the basics? This kid better turn it up this year he could be on the short bus heading home. I realy hope this isnt Tice's biggest draft blunder. Good luct T-Will, unfortunatly I think you are going to need it.
    I.B.O.T. #213

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast