Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Expanded playoffs

With the NFLPA showing no inclination to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games, a more viable alternative will be to expand the postseason.

On Tuesday, Commissioner Roger Goodell said it could happen by 2015.

Full article here: Expanded playoffs could be coming as soon as 2015 | ProFootballTalk
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I'm all for 8 team playoffs.

Get rid of the first-round bye
    Remove the automatic home game for division winners. Top-four teams in the conference should get a home game, then re-seed.

Ultimately, this is about entertainment. If there's an extra two playoff games, I'm a happy guy. I'm not worried about dilluting the playoff field. If there's a couple crappy wild card games, then so be it. But think back to a couple years ago when the 7-9 Seahawks beat the Saints? you never know what can happen.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I'm all for 8 team playoffs.

Get rid of the first-round bye
    Remove the automatic home game for division winners. Top-four teams in the conference should get a home game, then re-seed.
    I would like this: eight teams in each conference go to the post season. Division winners get an automatic home game rather than top seed bye. Divisions have to mean something, and that is a home field advantage come the playoffs. I could care less if a team had a better record as a wild card; they are still an at-large entry.

The top seeded division winner would play the lowest seeded at large, .... The chance of the low seed eliminating a top seed is low, but it provides an opportunity for another game, and all teams in the playoffs play games every week. I do not like bye weeks.

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    If a Wildcard team can have a home game in the playoffs, divisions mean NOTHING. It ticks me off when this happens, so we either need to rid ourselves of these stupid conferences that at times make no sense (SF and St Louis in the same conference at almost 2,000 miles apart? REALLY?), or make them mean something throughout the playoffs.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    I think the expansion would be to 14 teams, not 16. So I'm guessing it would just mean one additional wildcard team, so three games per conference in the first round, with one team getting a bye.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    If a Wildcard team can have a home game in the playoffs, divisions mean NOTHING. It ticks me off when this happens, so we either need to rid ourselves of these stupid conferences that at times make no sense (SF and St Louis in the same conference at almost 2,000 miles apart? REALLY?), or make them mean something throughout the playoffs.
    SF/STL is hardly the onlygap. Try Dallas in the NFCE with Philly, NY and Washington.

You don't re-organize divisions because you take away rivalries.

However, if we're playing that game, logically, if you go by geographic location, the NFC would have Dallas and Carolina switching divisions, Carolina is a newer expansion team, with no long-standing rivalries to take into account, Dallas is obviously in the south, not East. Hell, they're more west than East.

If we're talking re-alignment, doing what the NHL is doing would be best IMO, separate East and West. Reduces general travel costs.

Eastern Conference

The Northeastern Conference
    NYG
    NYJ
    BAL
    NE
    WAS

Rusty East
    PHI
    PIT
    CIN
    BUF
    DET

The Retired South
    TB
    MIA
    ATL
    CAR
    TEN

*Jacksonville and Cleveland owners get bought out and fold*

Western Conference

The Northwest
    Minnesota
    Chicago
    Green Bay
    Indianapolis
    St. Louis

Far West
    DEN
    SD
    SEA
    SF
    OAK

Border South
    HOU
    DAL
    NO
    ARI
    STL

Now, you've got three divisions, give the three division winners #1, #2 and #3 seeds respectively

#1 - Division Winner #1
    #2 - Division Winner #2
    #3 - Division Winner #3

#4 - #7 Wild cards

You have four wild card positions, which allows a good team a real good chance at making the playoffs if they're unfortunate to be stuck in a division with one of the truly elite teams (think 16-0 Patriots, or 15-1 Steelers, etc.)

Playoffs would be:

#1 - Bye
    #2 v. #7
    #3 v. #6
    #4 v. #5

Second round: Re-seed
    #1 v. #4
    #2 v. #3

Semi-Final
    Superbowl

For scheduling a 16 game season, every division has five teams, play each division team 2 times giving 8 games

Inter-division play, same as existing, Play the team in every division in your conference that finished in the same spot as you (eg. #2 team in the division plays the #2 team in every other division) This takes care of two more games, up to 10 now.

Play One AFC division once, 5 more games (15 games)
    Last game is up to the schedule-makers. This brings inter-divisional rivalries into play again.

Think manning-bowl, or Brady v.s Peyton, Cowboys vs. 49ers, etc. Gives the opportunity for some old rivalries to be replayed.
    Last edited by i_bleed_purple; 10-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.