Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    trust me, don't go into who does what with marrdro. He likes to think he is the authority of behind the scenes football knowledge.

We've gone down that road many times before.
    Authority! Hope he's not the type who answers every single post in every thread and critiques posts ,especially those he agrees with !

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    that guy was a joker.
    Yeah he had a great sense of humor but he was also right on the money with his analysis of Chilly, TJ and the TOA.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Authority! Hope he's not the type who answers every single post in every thread and critiques posts ,especially those he agrees with !
    Nah, he's Favre's #1 fan and tries to hide it behind an elaborate network of "discussion points".

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    One other thing, since you keep bringing it up and seem to base a lot of your opinions on it.

My memory tells me that Frazier wanted McNabb from the beginning. Yes the staff may have entertained other guys like Orton, Thigpen and even Hasselback, but I think Frazier was always locked on to McNabb. The statement where Frazier said he was ready to start the season with Webb or Ponder was just that, a statement. One that was made when his choices included Webb, Ponder and Bhomar. When McNabb became a real option for him, he was brought in to be a starter. I doubt Frazier's opinion of Webb and Ponder ever changed from the time of his statement to the signing of McNabb.

If McNabb goes down to injury (god forbid), I'm sure Leslie will have the same statement...We are prepared to go with Webb or Ponder as our starter, that is why they are on the team.
    All good points, however, I don't think I remember hearing Dnabb out of Leslies mouth as an option until after we heard about Orton and Thygpen. I don't remember Hass being mentioned by anyone other than a few rubes that didn't have any quotes from either Leslie or the staff.

Atleast for me, I'm going with the thought that a new HC, with a pretty talented team, was ready for that team to try it with a rookie QB (his words). How that changed, I assume, happened because the owner worrying about selling tickets instead of keeping out of the coaching business.

Traditionally a new coach usually has a year or two of a grace period with the fans and he should spend that time worrying about developing a QB instead of bucking an owner who wants to run a team by listening to fans.

In the end, I am 100% convinced that this team would have won atleast 1 more game with Ponder under center. Rationale is based on how well we did against teams in the first half as a bench mark for how talented this team is.

All Ponder would have had to do was make 5 to 10 throws that Dnabb failed to make and 1 more win would have been achievable IMHO. I bet the coaches are thinking the same thing not only now, but after drafting young Ponder, and before they landed a FA QB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I am an authority on nothing. Just a yutz with a keyboard who likes to talk football.

Our good friend I_bleed on the other hand, struggles with that a bit as he often times gets confused when it comes to following the discussion point.

Watch how many times I have to ask him "Where the hell did you get that from" or "I didn't say that"......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    That one guy UffDaVikes was out in front of both of you. Too bad he isn't around any more.
    I struck Uffda from all spreadsheets of importance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I struck Uffda from all spreadsheets of importance.
    OK that one made me chuckle my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Problem is we wont find out now. If Ponder goes in and struggles it will be because he's a rookie on a bad team. He'll still be our supposed QB of the future next year.
    Two things....

1. This isn't a bad team. We have basically kicked teams asses, that most said we couldn't in the first half. You don't do that without talent. If the QB could have made a couple plays here and there we could have won each game. Again, can't do that without talent.

2. Dalton is on a worse team. You can still see what the potential is. Newton isn't on a team just overflowing with talent either and you can see the potential there as well.

Said it before and I'll say it many time more, if the kid has it, we will know. That doesn't mean he won't make mistakes or look bad at times. All players do (just look at the Noodle last year and Dnabb the last 2 years) but atleast with a youngster out there learning you know he will eventually get better. A old seasoned vet won't. He is what he is.

Worse part of all of this is, our players know it as well. Pretty soon, if the coaches don't do it, we will see them start to ask for Ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Because Joe Webb is better right now. I've been saying this since week 1.

Someday people will learn to listen to what I'm saying, rather than arguing that Childress is a good coach or spending $20M+ on Favre was a good idea for the team.

Someday.
    LOL, you crack me up. Remind me about your thoughts on Bevell.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Two things....

1. This isn't a bad team. We have basically kicked teams asses, that most said we couldn't in the first half. You don't do that without talent. If the QB could have made a couple plays here and there we could have one each game. Again, can't do that without talent.

2. Dalton is on a worse team. You can still see what the potential is. Newton isn't on a team just overflowing with talent either and you can see the potential there as well.

Said it before and I'll say it many time more, if the kid has it, we will know. That doesn't mean he won't make mistakes or look bad at times. All players do (just look at the Noodle last year and Dnabb the last 2 years) but atleast with a youngster out there learning you know he will eventually get better. A old seasoned vet won't. He is what he is.

Worse part of all of this is, our players know it as well. Pretty soon, if the coaches don't do it, we will see them start to ask for Ponder.
    The problem isn't the core talent, it is the depth of talent on the roster my friend. We have been getting dominant play from a few of our superstars and that has given the team a boost. But eventually too many teams have found spots in the roster that are vulnerable and they have taken advantage of those weaknesses and we cannot stop it.

The good thing is we have been very healthy this year with no significant losses on the roster to speak of. If we lose 3 or so key players we in no way have the depth to pull up a guy and maintain even what we have. Injuries are going to determine how we finish the season. If we stay healthy and other divisional teams have key injuries anything can happen. If we get beat up with injuries then we are dead in the water.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast