Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Everson Griffen moving to LB

They are going to bring back the 4-6 like Singletary and Frazier played under in Chicago.

Rock and Roll baby!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1106467
    Maybe means we'll see some 3-4 packages?
    Seems most likely...

Allen - Guion - Ballard

Greenway - Brinkley - EJ - Griffen (strictly as a pass rusher)
    It's nothing more than giving a team some extra looks, since Allen won't move around from this DE spot and they can simply put a TE to that side and not worry about him as much ....Really wished we traded for Peppers over Allen. He makes our predictable Defense...even more predictable. inch:

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1106472
    Seems most likely...

Allen - Guion - Ballard

It's nothing more than giving a team some extra looks, since Allen won't move around from this DE spot and they can simply put a TE to that side and not worry about him as much ....Really wished we traded for Peppers over Allen. He makes our predictable Defense...even more predictable. inch:
    If anything I would think Allen comes out, or plays WOLB in the 3-4 package.

Allen's forte is definitely not run stopping, and the 3-4 really relies on three big DL to clog up the holes and let the 4 quicker LB's do their thing.

If we were doing a 3-4, I see:

Allen Greenway EJ Griffen
    Ballard....Guion/Ayodele...KW

Ballard isn't really big enough to be a 3-4 LDE and taking on 2-3 guys at once. Put KW there, Ayodele in th emiddle then Guion/Ballard at RDE.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

risky move IMO. If he gets hurt we're screwed at depth for DE. And he's looked pretty good there this year.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1106449
    i see it more of him getting used to playing standing up gives us versitility in D play calling by having him start at the DE spot but fade into the secondary and have the knowledge to play at a high level while in coverage.
    Bingo.

It isn't unusual to see Jared Allen drop back in coverage as well.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1106475
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1106472
    Seems most likely...

Allen - Guion - Ballard

If anything I would think Allen comes out, or plays WOLB in the 3-4 package.

Allen's forte is definitely not run stopping, and the 3-4 really relies on three big DL to clog up the holes and let the 4 quicker LB's do their thing.

If we were doing a 3-4, I see:

Allen Greenway EJ Griffen
    Ballard....Guion/Ayodele...KW

Ballard isn't really big enough to be a 3-4 LDE and taking on 2-3 guys at once. Put KW there, Ayodele in th emiddle then Guion/Ballard at RDE.
    How is he not big enough to play LDE but big enough to play DT?
    You understand that most 3-4 DE are smaller than DTs right? They also wouldn't play Griffen and Allen at both OLB spots. If they did, who would cover.
    Neither can line up and stay with a TE. They won't take allen off the field. and I believe this would be used in clear passing down anyway.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Freakout" #1106480
    Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1106449
    i see it more of him getting used to playing standing up gives us versitility in D play calling by having him start at the DE spot but fade into the secondary and have the knowledge to play at a high level while in coverage.
    Bingo.

It isn't unusual to see Jared Allen drop back in coverage as well.
    it IS unusual to see Pat Williams back in coverage, which happened more than a few times.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

After watching the game last night, a shortage of depth at LB isn't the issue.

My guess, ole bleed here has hit the nail on the head.

It isn't like Leslie hasn't ran a 3-4 package out there ever.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

The loss of Leber is made all the more frustrating by the fact that, in the end, the Rams were able to sign him for relatively little money. Some of the guys the Vikings let walk (Sidney Rice, Ray Edwards) could not have realistically been re-signed given the large amounts of dough thrown at them, but Leber was not in that category. If Erin Henderson develops then the loss of Leber won’t look like such a mistake, but we’re a long way from knowing for certain whether Henderson will ever become a worthy starter.
    Jasper Brinkley Injury Leaves Vikings Scrambling at Linebacker
    I can hear it now, "our defense sucks cause we don't have Leber" comments all season.

On a side note, how much flexibility does cats like Ballard and Griff bring to the table. Wow.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Most of the Vikings' starters will get the night off in Thursday's preseason finale at the Metrodome. A few of them, such as right guard Anthony Herrera, may see a series or two for some final fine tuning. And some backups, such as running back Toby Gerhart, also will sit or see limited reps.

Then there's Everson Griffen, who will have two plates (linebacker and defensive end) that will be full.

"He's going to probably play 50 percent at end and 50 percent at linebacker," defensive coordinator Fred Pugac said. "He's going to be playing a lot of football on Thursday."

Griffen will be a busy man on Thursday

For the life of me I just can't fathom how talented this kid must be if they are going to ask him to try this.

Amazing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast