Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Everson Griffen

  1. #11
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Only a yutz would believe that a LDE would have the same production that a RDE would. Especially considering that the only stat anyone really tracks for a RDE is sacks.

    I would, however, love to have JA get the pressures and tackles that a good LDE does. Anyone remember when we had one called Ray Edwards that led the league one year and was in the top 5 the rest in those categories?

    Been saying it for years......Get me a true NT/UT that can play the 1 tech and a LDE who can stop the run first and then pressure (not sack) the QB second and the scheme we are trying to run will look like it supposed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Would Reggie White agree with that statement?
    Deacon Jones and Gino Marchetti along with Reggie White were the picks at end for the 75th Anniversary All-Time NFL Team and they were all LDE's

  2. #12
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Deacon Jones and Gino Marchetti along with Reggie White were the picks at end for the 75th Anniversary All-Time NFL Team and they were all LDE's
    OK, OK, I know that there is a player or two out there for every circumstance, but you know what I mean.

    Generally a LDE isn't considered a "Sack Artist" in a 4-3 base defense. He is a run stopper first, pass rusher second. A RDE is the exact opposite. Pass rusher first and foremost, run stopper second.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #13
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    OK, OK, I know that there is a player or two out there for every circumstance, but you know what I mean.

    Generally a LDE isn't considered a "Sack Artist" in a 4-3 base defense. He is a run stopper first, pass rusher second. A RDE is the exact opposite. Pass rusher first and foremost, run stopper second.
    The primary reason for that has nothing to do with the scheme but everything to do with the fact most QB's are right handed and rushing their blind side is the best place for your best rusher most times. Coupled with most DE's being right handed and it being more natural to rush from that side.

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The primary reason for that has nothing to do with the scheme but everything to do with the fact most QB's are right handed and rushing their blind side is the best place for your best rusher most times. Coupled with most DE's being right handed and it being more natural to rush from that side.
    Excellent point, however, the scheme is basically designed for the norm and not the exception. In this case a right handed QB.

    If we faced a team in our division that had a left handed QB, I suspect we would have move our RDE's to the LDE's spot and the LDE's to the RDE's spot.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #15
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Excellent point, however, the scheme is basically designed for the norm and not the exception. In this case a right handed QB.

    If we faced a team in our division that had a left handed QB, I suspect we would have move our RDE's to the LDE's spot and the LDE's to the RDE's spot.
    Swap the players playing RDE & LDE all season long for the sake of 2 games?

    I don't think so.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Swap the players playing RDE & LDE all season long for the sake of 2 games?

    I don't think so.
    Nope, not what I said.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937
    Doesn't matter. The Griffen as LB experiment is over.

    Training Camp Notebook - Monday, Aug 13th | The Vikings Blog - KFAN Sports Radio FM 100.3 - The Fan

    The Everson Griffen at LB experiment has ended:
    Heading into Training Camp, the Vikings were hoping to move defensive end Everson Griffen into a hybrid DE/LB role. Based on what they've seen in camp and how Griffen looked in preseason game number one, the Vikings have opted to abandon this mission and have moved Griffen back to defensive end for the foreseeable future.
    "We saw enough of [Griffen] at linebacker where we feel that [defensive end] is going to be better for him," Frazier said. "We talked to him Sunday night when we got back and he agrees that it's better to be able to focus on that position."
    Griffen will still work in as a linebacker in third down situations but most of his snaps will come from the defensive line. Griffen also left Monday's practice after dinging his knee in team drills.
    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  8. #18
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,216
    Vikings end Griffen linebacker experiment

    Vikings end Griffen linebacker experiment | StarTribune.com

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #19
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Vikings end Griffen linebacker experiment

    Vikings end Griffen linebacker experiment | StarTribune.com
    This was the obvious conclusion to this experiment. Wish our coaching staff had the wherewithal to try Robison at LB and move Griffen to starting DE... but they do not.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  10. #20
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6
    Actually, I would like to see that. BRob is a talented guy, but that transition is still tough.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •