Prophet Guest

Even in the preseason, still the same old Steelers

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/623538.html
    Even in the preseason, still the same old Steelers
    The Vikings take on the NFL's defending champions tonight, and they anticipate a strong test of their preparation and a hard-nosed edge to the game.
    Mark Craig, Star Tribune
    Last update: August 19, 2006 – 12:37 AM

Vikings Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper spent enough time with Pittsburgh Steelers starting cornerback Ike Taylor this offseason to reinforce his desire to obtain what Taylor and his teammates already own: a Super Bowl championship ring.
    "I've been going to Tom Shaw's speed camp in Orlando for four seasons," Sharper said. "This year, I was there with Ike and [Steelers backup defensive backs] Ricardo Colclough and Bryant McFadden. They were bragging about their rings, and, yeah, you're a bit jealous that they have one and you don't."

Tonight, Sharper will get an even larger dose of black-and-gold-clad braggarts when the Vikings visit Heinz Field in the Steelers' first home appearance since beating Seattle 21-10 in Super Bowl XL in February.

"Does it mean more to play them [in the preseason]? I think so," Sharper said. "You know Pittsburgh has a team that is expected to vie for another championship. It will be a good gauge of our team."

The Steelers suffered few key departures from their championship team. Three starters -- receiver Antwaan Randle El, defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen and free safety Chris Hope -- left via free agency, and running back Jerome Bettis retired. Their key offseason addition was signing Redskins free agent Ryan Clark as the starting free safety.

Per normal preseason preparation, the Vikings spent only a small portion of Thursday's practice and Friday's walkthrough on a game plan for the Steelers. NFL teams use only their most basic schemes in the preseason, choosing to hide tendencies while evaluating player ability.

Where the Vikings will benefit most tonight is facing a 3-4 defense, a physical offensive line and top-notch talent such as Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward at receiver and first-team All-Pro Troy Polamalu at strong safety. It's also the Vikings' first game since Childress excused top receiver Koren Robinson from team functions after Tuesday's late-night arrest for drunken driving and fleeing police.

"Any time you're playing the world champs, that gives you a good barometer of where you're at, whether it's one quarter, two quarters, three quarters, whatever," Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "We'll get a good read on it [tonight]."

Not everyone in Mankato felt that way Thursday. Tight end Jermaine Wiggins, who picked up a Super Bowl championship ring as a member of the 2001 New England Patriots, said tonight is preseason business as usual.

"I see them all the same in the preseason," he said. "It doesn't mean anything who you play. Preseason is used to try to help find an identity and do the things you practiced all through training camp. Indianapolis went 0-5 last year and then won 13 in a row, so what's that say?"

Childress, whose expertise is on offense, said he likes to see how his offenses react to a defense that uses three down linemen and four linebackers, as opposed to the more traditional 4-3 alignment. The NFC North has no 3-4 teams, but the Vikings will face at least two of them: New England on Oct. 30 and the New York Jets on Dec. 17.

"You have a whole different thought process [against the 3-4]," Childress said. "It creates a different dilemma."

Childress also has tried to instill toughness through a physical training camp. Now it's time to visit one of the league's toughest venues and play a team that has been known for its toughness since the early 1970s.

"Pittsburgh, by its nature, is a physical, hard-nosed football team," Childress said. "They run a hard-nosed camp. That's what they pride themselves on. Run the ball, stop the run. You better be ready for that. ... I doubt it will be an aerial circus."

Childress paused and then summed it up as best he could: "You're playing against the world champions."

Mark Craig • [email protected]

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Even in the preseason, still the same old Steelers

it's just preseaon, don't get hurt.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

There's a nice article in the MSNBC web page on the game tonigfht but what I really found enjoyable was a slide show of famous touchdown celebrations.
    Go to http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14412459/ and about half way down on the left side there is a Slide Show entitled "Celebrating The Good Times."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    that would be nice :rollseyes:
    We're bringing purple back.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"I've been going to Tom Shaw's speed camp in Orlando for four seasons," Sharper said. "This year, I was there with Ike and [Steelers backup defensive backs] Ricardo Colclough and Bryant McFadden. They were bragging about their rings, and, yeah, you're a bit jealous that they have one and you don't."
    Then go get one Darren!!!!!

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    No kidding. I'm excited to see them play, but I would rather the games they play mean something.
    -Sno