Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54
  1. #11
    b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    176

    Ev Griff 5yr/42 mil

    Love that we locked up this guy. Excelled in limited action, so I'm expecting either 10+ sacks or one of the top in the league in pressures and hurries. I'm very optimistic about us next year
    None

  2. #12
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910
    I'm not a griffen fan. I think he is talented but he is an under achiever. Did so in college and I never forgave him about it. Way, way, way too much money. None of the DEs are proven however. So Johnson wanting more is just as crazy. I hope I am wrong. I really how we address Raji with the DT position, The Jasper signing might mean we don't have Mack on our radar.

  3. #13
    VikingsFan1234 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I'm not a griffen fan. I think he is talented but he is an under achiever. Did so in college and I never forgave him about it. Way, way, way too much money. None of the DEs are proven however. So Johnson wanting more is just as crazy. I hope I am wrong. I really how we address Raji with the DT position, The Jasper signing might mean we don't have Mack on our radar.
    Jasper is not going to be a starter, he will just be a backup so Mack is still on the Vikings radar

  4. #14
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingsFan1234 View Post
    Jasper is not going to be a starter, he will just be a backup so Mack is still on the Vikings radar
    Exactly. If Brinkley was brought in to start, I would start comparing Zimmer to Childress.

  5. #15
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308
    Jasper is for depth and is great against the run.

    Griffen with only $20m guaranteed is a good deal. I think that we may still be going after Michael Johnson though. Zimmer loves to load up on defensive line depth because he likes to get constant front-four pressure. I don't think it makes us going after him hard, but I would not doubt we are still interested.

    I hope that Raji, Joseph and Verner are all guys we are still looking at and I think that Zimmer has already shown that he is ready to be aggressive.

    I don't see how the Jasper signing affects Mack in the slightest. Mack is an OLB that is great in coverage and against the run. Jasper is a MLB. They do not play close to the same style or position. Mack is certainly on the radar. Might not be higher than any of the QBs, but certainly on the radar regardless.

    Jas[er and Cole might actually be enough at MLB if Cole makes a solid second-year improvement he seems capable of making. Though Mosely, Borland and Jones could all be on the radar in the first three rounds of the draft as well.

  6. #16
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I'm not a griffen fan. I think he is talented but he is an under achiever. Did so in college and I never forgave him about it. Way, way, way too much money. None of the DEs are proven however. So Johnson wanting more is just as crazy. I hope I am wrong. I really how we address Raji with the DT position, The Jasper signing might mean we don't have Mack on our radar.
    Mack's being talked about as a potential #1 overall player, at very least, him and Clowney are the choice for #1 defender off the board. It's not a given he'll be there at 8, we can't put all our eggs in that basket, and trading up in this draft is just a waste.

  7. #17
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Jasper is for depth and is great against the run.

    Griffen with only $20m guaranteed is a good deal. I think that we may still be going after Michael Johnson though. Zimmer loves to load up on defensive line depth because he likes to get constant front-four pressure. I don't think it makes us going after him hard, but I would not doubt we are still interested.

    I hope that Raji, Joseph and Verner are all guys we are still looking at and I think that Zimmer has already shown that he is ready to be aggressive.

    I don't see how the Jasper signing affects Mack in the slightest. Mack is an OLB that is great in coverage and against the run. Jasper is a MLB. They do not play close to the same style or position. Mack is certainly on the radar. Might not be higher than any of the QBs, but certainly on the radar regardless.

    Jas[er and Cole might actually be enough at MLB if Cole makes a solid second-year improvement he seems capable of making. Though Mosely, Borland and Jones could all be on the radar in the first three rounds of the draft as well.
    How is giving 20 million in guarrenteed money to a guy that has done next to nothing (except 1 3 sack game) a good deal. Why are we in love with "potential" on this board. Last year it was Wright was gonna set the world on fire because of how he looked the year before (didn't happen). At what point do we stop thinking every under performing guy is gonna be the next big thing. It doesn't work that way for us.We over payed.

  8. #18
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,551

    Ev Griff 5yr/42 mil

    Far from a guy that done next to nothing...a good signing IMHO

    According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Griffen has been on the field for roughly 1,400 total snaps since 2012, or roughly 58 percent of Minnesota's total defensive snaps. Of those snaps, 900 have come rushing the passer.

    Everson Griffen's Disruption Numbers, 2012-13
    Sacks hits Hurries Total FF
    2012 8 12 23 43 1
    2013 6 7 39 52 1
    Total 14 19 62 95 2
    Source: Pro Football Focus

    Last season, Griffen provided 52 total quarterback disruptions, including seven quarterback hits and 39 hurries. His 52 disruptions ranked 18th overall among 4-3 defensive ends, and ninth among 4-3 defensive with less than 500 pass-rushing snaps. (On a side note: 27 of his pressures came from the left side, 25 from the right).

    The year prior, Griffen tallied 43 disruptions, with a career-high eight sacks. He finished as one of just three 4-3 defensive ends to register at least 43 disruptions on less than 400 pass-rushing snaps. (Again, his split was almost even: 21 from the left, 22 from the right.)

    Overall since 2012, Griffen has 95 disruptions, 13.5 sacks, 19 quarterback hits and two forced fumbles. His disruption-to-snap rate is better than 10-to-1, which is comparable to Jared Allen's pass-rushing production over the last two seasons.
    Last edited by MaxVike; 03-10-2014 at 12:14 PM.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  9. #19
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I'm not a griffen fan. I think he is talented but he is an under achiever. Did so in college and I never forgave him about it. Way, way, way too much money. None of the DEs are proven however. So Johnson wanting more is just as crazy. I hope I am wrong. I really how we address Raji with the DT position, The Jasper signing might mean we don't have Mack on our radar.
    Unfortunately, it looks like the price for defense has gone up, and the extra cap money will go to those players. Whether Griffen is worth it or not, that is going to be the price teams will have to pay for the position.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  10. #20
    Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    82
    I really don't think Zimmer will have too much of a problem keepin a fire lit under his backside. Griffen is a freakishly talented player. I think Zimmer has big plans for his athleticism. Good signing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •