Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Europe Style: Aaron Hosack

Yeah ill have to agree i like Hoag or Hosack alot better than mcmullin, i still cant believe that trade. Watch Baskett turn into a gem with philly :sad: .

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    who's our #5??

we've got koren, TWill, Taylor and MRob, thats only 4 and you say hosack should replace McMullen at #6 then who is our #5 guy? am i forgetting someone?
    Other Vikings WR's:

Jason Carter
    Ryan Hoag
    Christopher Jones
    Kelvin Kight
    Barrick Nealy
    Jimmy Redmond
    Kyle Smith
    yes but none of them have actually made the team yet. most of them will be cut before preseason. the Krob, Mrob, Twill and Ttay are a given, they will make the team as long as they don't do something stupid or get injured.

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I think Hosack and Hoag should be our starting receivers! :grin:
    Yeah, your right!! Who cares about winning football games!! Bench that scrub Robinson!! LOL :lol: :wink:
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

yukon is offline Training Camp

"ejmat" wrote:
    I like Hosack's style of play. I know he's a WR but to be honest he reminds me of a Jeremy Shockey. That may sound strange but he does. His size and build. I think he would be awesome in the redzone. He's big and has good hands.

Hoag also has potential. I like what I saw last year in pre-season and I think he works well with Brad Johnson. I was surprised he didn't make the team last year.
    At this point all they need is a chance
    Come on, isn't it about time for the NFL Draft?

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i think with his size.. he's a good 5th for now and a future answer for marcus robinson's retirement

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

"singersp" wrote:
    "crazyB" wrote:
    he seem's to be doing very well do you think they will put him on the practice team or could he even make the main team?..
    i think he has done too well to just let him go.
    He'll at least make the practice squad.
    I think he's spent too much time on the practice squad, and is no longer eligible.

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Sat, May. 27, 2006

[size=18px]EUROPE STYLE[/size]

Former Gophers receiver Aaron Hosack is taking a different path toward his dream of playing in the NFL. He is a star on a team playing in NFL Europe's biggest game, and he wants to use what he's learned to make the Vikings' roster.

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

In this country, young boys grow up dreaming about playing in the Super Bowl, not the World Bowl, but Aaron Hosack isn't complaining.

6-5 ? You got to like that. Beef him up and put at TE? THoughts?

The Vikings' globetrotting wide receiver, whose Frankfurt Galaxy face the Amsterdam Admirals today in World Bowl XIV, has enjoyed every minute of his NFL Europe vacation.

"It's been fun so far," Hosack said this week from Düsseldorf, Germany, site of the title game. "This is the path that I've chosen to take in this dream I'm chasing right now. This is where I've come, and I've made the most of my opportunities, so it's really good to be here."

This has been a good spring for Hosack, a former University of Minnesota wide receiver, who caught 36 passes during the 10-game regular season for 473 yards and four touchdowns.

Those first two figures were good enough to rank third in the league and garner All-NFL Europe honors for Hosack, who might have boosted his NFL stock in the process.

"I would like to think that I have," he said. "I came here last year and only played in four games and then got injured. I wanted to come back and show everybody I could bounce back from an injury. I feel like I've put 10 pretty good games together. I've learned a lot to apply to the NFL when I get back to a team in training camp, which as of right now is the Minnesota Vikings."

A right shoulder injury forced Hosack to spend all of last season on the Vikings' reserve/non-football injury list after 13 weeks on the practice squad in 2004.

Cleared to play in January, he has proved himself in NFL Europe, but he's not sure where he fits in with the Vikings, who have a new coach in Brad Childress and a veteran receiving corps led by Koren Robinson, Troy Williamson and Travis Taylor.

"I haven't paid much attention to who they've been signing or anything like that," Hosack said. "I don't know too much about coach Childress' offense other than it's a West Coast style of offense. If I'm one of the pieces he wants to fit into that, it would be great. If not, hopefully some other teams will want to take a try on me."

Frankfurt coach Mike Jones was an NFL wide receiver from 1983-85 with the Vikings and for three seasons (1986-87, 1989) with New Orleans. He said Hosack has the right stuff to follow in the footsteps of former NFL Europe receivers such as Kansas City's Dante Hall, Atlanta's Brian Finneran and the Vikings' Marcus Robinson, the 1998 NFL Europe offensive most valuable player for the World Bowl-champion Rhein Fire.

"He definitely can," Jones said. "He has the size (6-5, 210 pounds) you want in a guy at that position, and I think the biggest asset in his game is his hands. He catches the ball as well as any receiver I've had in this league. He's a guy who can run the intermediate routes and get deep, too."

Even so, at 24, the clock is ticking for Hosack, who hasn't set any personal deadlines but knows he won't have too many more opportunities to make an NFL roster.

"I'm a realist," he said. "I'm not going to be one of those guys who's 28 years old still trying to chase a dream and get on an active roster. I'm passionate about football, but you've got to get on with life pretty soon."

Hosack wasn't the only Vikings player to spend his spring in Europe. Offensive tackle Sean Bubin started all 10 games for the Hamburg Sea Devils, and cornerback Ronyell Whitaker had a stellar season for Rhein, tying for second in the league with four interceptions and returning two for touchdowns.

"He's probably the best cornerback in this league, I would say," Hosack said of Whitaker, his fellow All-NFL Europe selection. "We played them twice, and we were cautious about throwing his way because we knew what he could do. I like that guy a lot. I didn't meet him until we got over here, and I have a lot of respect for that kid."

Generally speaking, Hosack said he has been impressed with the caliber of talent in NFL Europe, which is filled with young, borderline players like himself who are trying to take their games to the next level.

"Once I leave here after the World Bowl, I'll go back to Minnesota and get my physicals," he said. "It's up to the coaches whether they want to keep me there to practice or anything like that. I'm just eager to get there and show the coaches I'm ready to hit the ground running."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

EUROPE STYLE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Sounds like he could be a younger, cheaper replacement for Marcus Robinson...he's got the height and the hands, if he's got the hops too, Marcus may have some serious competition!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

he's a fighta, if he keeps goin, hell make the team!!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

He'll be a bargain compared to Mrob - and if his skills are close and he's younger, I think you'll see why he has a good shot at making the team.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast