6. Browns
    7. Lions
    8. Cowboys
    9. Chargers
    10. Steelers

27. Oakland
    28. Vikings
    29. Tennessee

I'm not gonna say i told yall so.. however, I thought we could of used an upgrade like a DJ Hackett in addition to BB.. and although, we'll see... it looks like Espn's Keith Kidd from Scout's Inc. seems to think so as well....

here's what they had to say about the Vikes..

Even with the offseason signing of Bernard Berrian, the Vikings are in need of a true No. 1. If Sidney Rice continues to develop, however, the Vikings could have two complementary receivers starting opposite each other in 2008. Berrian, with his explosive vertical speed, is exactly what the team needed for attacking downfield. The key will be his ability to get on the same page as QB Tarvaris Jackson. Rice is a tall, athletic receiver who fits in well at the 'X' position in the Vikings' West Coast offense and has deceptive speed with natural cutting ability. Bobby Wade is an effective slot receiver who can find open short and intermediate areas, while Robert Ferguson is an experienced player who fits nicely as the fourth receiver.

I guess, i'll be eating BIG crow if AA (who i really like) or one of the other guys pans out... but we'll only see.. i strongly believe this is one of our biggest weaknesses on offense...

When assessing our running game, ESPN ranks us #2 next to the Chargers..

The Vikings had the No. 1 run offense in the NFL in 2007, and had RB Adrian Peterson not missed two games due to injury, he would have won the rushing title as a rookie. Although you could make an argument for Peterson being the best back in the game today, he does not possess Tomlinson's versatility. This also is not to take away from Peterson, but he has the good fortune of running behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL -- a line backup RB Chester Taylor gained 1,216 yards running behind in 2006. Peterson is going to be a superstar and eventually take the throne from LT, but as of this moment, the 1-2 punch of Peterson and Taylor is still just No. 2.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: ESPN rates top receiving Cores in NFL

Absurd. We belong in the 15-20 range. How is Berrian not a true #1 when thats exactly what he was in Chicago?

Also, they take credit away from Peterson because of a fine line. Taylor is a fine, starting back, not a backup. However they don't take credit away from the Chragers with the loss of Turner. The ADCT 1-2 punch is far superior to LT. It's stupid to think otherwise.

"I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

I can't see the rest of the list, but I already question putting us behind the Raiders.
    The only guy they have is Javon Walker, who has injury problems and also tends to get beaten up when walking down the street.
    I like our guys, even if we don't have a true star like Moss, TO, or Edwards.

As for the running game ranking, anything other than #1 is ridiculous.
    I understand that some people like LT more than AD.
    Fine.
    But in terms of the best running game - as a team - it's not even close.
    The Vikings ran almost 40 yards/game more than the Chargers last year while averaging 5.3 yards/carry compared with 4.2 yards/carry for the Chargers.
    Of course, it's not last year.
    So what's happened since then?
    The Chargers lost their #2 back and Pro Bowl fullback.
    The Vikes lost Richardson and replaced him with Tapeh.
    Again, I like our guys.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Overlord" wrote:
    I can't see the rest of the list, but I already question putting us behind the Raiders.
    The only guy they have is Javon Walker, who has injury problems and also tends to get beaten up when walking down the street.
    I like our guys, even if we don't have a true star like Moss, TO, or Edwards.

As for the running game ranking, anything other than #1 is ridiculous.
    I understand that some people like LT more than AD.
    Fine.
    But in terms of the best running game - as a team - it's not even close.
    The Vikings ran almost 40 yards/game more than the Chargers last year while averaging 5.3 yards/carry compared with 4.2 yards/carry for the Chargers.
    Of course, it's not last year.
    So what's happened since then?
    The Chargers lost their #2 back and Pro Bowl fullback.
    The Vikes lost Richardson and replaced him with Tapeh.
    Again, I like our guys.
    I agree with you.. the only thing that might be a point of contention is jacksonville.. .they should be right up there with us... IMO...

as far as receivers... maybe not 28th.. but still in need of an upgrade.. unless AA and SR step it up a little this year!!!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I wish ESPN would rank all their pointless Preseason Rankings.... based on pointlessness...

[size=5pt]I know... I'm grasping at straws...[/size]
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    Absurd. We belong in the 15-20 range. How is Berrian not a true #1 when thats exactly what he was in Chicago?

Also, they take credit away from Peterson because of a fine line. Taylor is a fine, starting back, not a backup. However they don't take credit away from the Chragers with the loss of Turner. The ADCT 1-2 punch is far superior to LT. It's stupid to think otherwise.

Yeah I agree on the rushing portion, they did loose a fine RB, we got 2 yet they still rank us below the chargers? I don't think that their offensive line or blocking TE's are on our level.

Although I can't say Berrian was a #1 WR, I do know he was there best. I think that he was upset he was not the clear cut #1, either way I expect him to be able to get open and make an impact for our team.

As far as the WR rankings I think 28 is a little low but given the overall production and youth its understandable from a numbers point of view. However I think Rice is a #1 WR in the making and will eventually fill that role nicely. Given a Healthy season I can see Rice with 10 TD's. Allison is another guy who could make a vast impact but how much time will he see with Wade on the team? I think the future is bright with our young WR's, granted there is still be bumps in the road we will continue to develop the position.

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

Come on guys. We have a #1 who has never had a 1000 yard receiving year, a #2 who is ALL potential so far, and a decent 3. We're not world beaters here and this article really seems to have ignited your guys' homer alert.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"litlharsh" wrote:
    Come on guys. We have a #1 who has never had a 1000 yard receiving year, a #2 who is ALL potential so far, and a decent 3. We're not world beaters here and this article really seems to have ignited your guys' homer alert.
    Thats a little harsh. :P

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"litlharsh" wrote:
    I don't think there is anyone here claiming world beaters at WR but the potential is there, all we have to do is execute and get our recognition.

Berrian was off a few yards from a 1000 yards on a bad offense, I think he can get 50 more. Rice is a weapon and has the ability to score and outcompete a DB. With these two at helm the future is bright and with time things will only get better with the QB continuety.

"litlharsh" wrote:
    True.
    But I don't think anybody is saying we have the best receiving corp. in the league.
    It's just hard to see us as 27th, especially when the only team I can see directly above us (because I can't read the article) is the Raiders.
    I took a quick look team-by-team though, and I do have a tough time saying we're any better than 20th.

We'll see how the season unfolds though.
    I like B-Twice and Rice on the outside.
    I like Wade in the slot.
    I also like our guys 4-6 with Allison and Johnson.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast