Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: ESPN ranks Vikings d-line as the best in the NFL.

"erik5032" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I'm a happy Vikes fan but i think if you are talking Dlines, I would have to go with the Pats or Chargers as # 1. Perharps we got more points because we are feilding a 4-3 versus a 3-4.

Either way I have us as the top 4-3 Dline and the Third best line overall..
    The Chargers as #1? Is that the same Chargers D-Line that gave up 296 rushing yards to AD?
    Facts in itself prove we have the best dline... how many seasons do u think it will take to become #1? i think after this year we will have the #1 run offense.
    We had the #1 run offense last year, and we've had the #1 Run Defense the past two years...

Why would you put the Patriots or Chargers over a D-line that has been #1 in stopping the run the past two seasons... and got the best available FA in Jared Allen to beef up the line... How could ANY D-line be better than that?

Honestly, I'd love to hear your reasoning, kevoncox.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

ABout time we got some props for our team, especially the defensive line. Our LB/DB core aint nothing to be shy about either.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Really the thing that it doesn’t mention, in great detail, is how dangerous those three guys make Edwards and our LB core.
    Our LB’s did a decent job last year when they blitzed the problem was we had to blitz them often to put pressure on the QB.
    With Allen, and the Williams Towers devastating OL’s
    the LB’s will have a hayday on receivers, rb’s and the occasional QB.
    When we do blitz Greenway or someone they should be able to get to the QB quickly with the pressure coming from the rest of the line.
    And Edwards who is an average DE with decent speed should have plenty of looks at the QB as well.
    I mean some people try to downgrade what that move did for our defense as a whole.
    But honestly it was a huge move and it made the defense all around exponentially better.
    On paper, we still haven't seen anything. Childress loves to stop the run, so he might not let allen run free like he did in KC, forcing Allen to stay in his lane and making it harder to get pressure on the QB. But yeah they should be awesome.
    First of all, since when in Childress our defensive coordinator?
    Secondly, what make you think he "ran free" in KC?
    Thirdly, just because you stayin your gap doesn't not mean you cannot rush the passer...
    Good points.
    1.Generally when I say Childress I mean coaching staff, don't get all Marrdro on me.
    2.The 15 1/2 sacks tells me that he was rushing the QB a lot, but from what I hear he played good run D too, so yeah that may not have been the best choice of words. What I meant was that the Vikings may not use him the same way KC did.
    3.True, just saying sometimes when a player is moved into a new defense they are asked to different things. I don't think it is an accident that this team is so good at the run. A lot of that comes from a coaching philosophy of forcing the other team to beat you with the pass.
    As Denny Green would say "If you want to crown em then crown their asses".

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I'm a happy Vikes fan but i think if you are talking Dlines, I would have to go with the Pats or Chargers as # 1. Perharps we got more points because we are feilding a 4-3 versus a 3-4.

The Chargers as #1? Is that the same Chargers D-Line that gave up 296 rushing yards to AD?
    Facts in itself prove we have the best dline... how many seasons do u think it will take to become #1? i think after this year we will have the #1 run offense.
    We had the #1 run offense last year, and we've had the #1 Run Defense the past two years...

Why would you put the Patriots or Chargers over a D-line that has been #1 in stopping the run the past two seasons... and got the best available FA in Jared Allen to beef up the line... How could ANY D-line be better than that?

My reasons for placing the Chargers and Pats ahead of us.

1) Their 3 players are as good as our ALL PRO trio. However, we have a 4th that isn't as good (yet?)
    2) Our line has yet to play a down together. Their own has. Kevin and Pat dissappear sometimes. As much as I love them, I can say that it rare that they are both playing insipired football at all times. When they are we are unstoppable.
    3) Just the rosters.
    Chargers - All three of these guys are amazing. They do their jobs extremely well. They stop the run and enamble the LB Corps to flock to the ball. The best 3-4 group in all of football.
    Igor Olshansky A
    Jamal Williams A+
    Luis Castillo A
    Overal = 96.6

Pats - Injuries are the real reasons this team isn't as high as the Chargers in my book. Seymorcan't stay healthy. How else do you think thier old arse Lbs make so many plays? Instinct? LOL.
    Warren - Underrated but as good as Castillio and Co from the Chargers. A-
    Wilfolk - The most dominanting force at Dl in the league. He simply destroys run schemes. A+
    Seymour - Amazing DLineman. Might be the best in the league. However, he is always hurt. A
    Overall = 95

Vikes - They are at a disadvantage in my book because their unit is 4 players and to me you have to take the average of the group.

Allen - A+
    Kevin - A
    Pat - A
    Edwards - B+
    overall = 94.5

It's just my opinion. I think we can be exceptional but I think these units have already proven they are great.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

1) Their 3 players are as good as our ALL PRO trio. However, we have a 4th that isn't as good (yet?)
    2) Our line has yet to play a down together. Their own has. Kevin and Pat dissappear sometimes. As much as I love them, I can say that it rare that they are both playing insipired football at all times. When they are we are unstoppable.
    3) Just the rosters.
    Chargers - All three of these guys are amazing. They do their jobs extremely well. They stop the run and enamble the LB Corps to flock to the ball. The best 3-4 group in all of football.
    Igor Olshansky A
    Jamal Williams A+
    Luis Castillo A
    Overal = 96.6

Pats - Injuries are the real reasons this team isn't as high as the Chargers in my book. Seymorcan't stay healthy. How else do you think thier old arse Lbs make so many plays? Instinct? LOL.
    Wilfolk - The most dominanting force at Dl in the league. He simply destroys run schemes. A+
    Seymour - Amazing DLineman. Might be the best in the league. However, he is always hurt. A
    Overall = 95

Vikes - They are at a disadvantage in my book because their unit is 4 players and to me you have to take the average of the group.

Allen - A+
    Kevin - A
    Pat - A
    Edwards - B+
    overall = 94.5

It's just my opinion. I think we can be exceptional but I think these units have already proven they are great.
    Bad reasoning IMO. The biggest priority for a DL in the 3-4 is to suck up defenders. Both the Pats and Chargers have stellar LBs as well. Discrediting us because we run a 4-3 is also a bit ridiculous. When it comes to making big plays, our DL is the best. They have a major positive impact and make plays on their own.

Anways, we are debating 2.1 points total, so I do see where you're coming from. I just don't agree.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=46278.msg804209#msg804209 date=1216236099]

3) Just the rosters.
    Igor Olshansky A
    Jamal Williams A+
    Luis Castillo A
    Overal = 96.6

Overall = 95

Allen - A+
    Kevin - A
    Pat - A
    Edwards - B+
    overall = 94.5

Bad reasoning IMO. The biggest priority for a DL in the 3-4 is to suck up defenders. Both the Pats and Chargers have stellar LBs as well. Discrediting us because we run a 4-3 is also a bit ridiculous. When it comes to making big plays, our DL is the best. They have a major positive impact and make plays on their own.

Anways, we are debating 2.1 points total, so I do see where you're coming from. I just don't agree.
    [/quote]

I think the 2 defenses i listed do that extremely well and still make plays all over the field.
    I'm not discrediting our Dline, I simiply think that these the Chargs, and Pats do not have an obvious weaklink on the DLine like we do in Edwards(Not that it hink he is that bad of a player. I think he has a couple Pro Bowls in him).

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I think the 2 defenses i listed do that extremely well and still make plays all over the field.
    I'm not discrediting our Dline, I simiply think that these the Chargs, and Pats do not have an obvious weaklink on the DLine like we do in Edwards(Not that it hink he is that bad of a player. I think he has a couple Pro Bowls in him).
    Your analysis is leaving me scratching my head...

The Pats had were 10th in stopping the run in 2007 and 5th in 2006....

The Chargers were 16th in stopping the run in 2007 and 7th in 2006....

The Vikings were 1st in stopping the run in 2007 and 1st in 2006....

And we got Jared Allen.

I just can't agree with you at all on this point. The Chargers and Patriots haven't improved their D-lines that much, while we took the best D-line in football and made it better.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    [quote author=C Mac D link=topic=46278.msg804214#msg804214 date=1216236388]

3) Just the rosters.
    Igor Olshansky A
    Jamal Williams A+
    Luis Castillo A
    Overal = 96.6

Overall = 95

Allen - A+
    Kevin - A
    Pat - A
    Edwards - B+
    overall = 94.5

[/quote]

[/quote]

No way.
    So you are saying that our DL would be better with just JA, Pat, and Kevin?
    How does the addition of Edwards make them worse?

I don't see an obvious weak link anywhere on our DL.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=erik5032 link=topic=46278.msg804228#msg804228 date=1216238002]

3) Just the rosters.
    Igor Olshansky A
    Jamal Williams A+
    Luis Castillo A
    Overal = 96.6

Overall = 95

Allen - A+
    Kevin - A
    Pat - A
    Edwards - B+
    overall = 94.5

[/quote]

[/quote]

No way.

[/quote]

No we can't run the 3-4 with our current group (Allen is too small, K. Williams might be too slow)
    I am simply saying that when the term Dline is used it is the entire Dline.

I think the other teams' 3 are better than our combined 4.
    I am calling edwards the weak point on the line so far. He will be good but he has to develop. I think he needs a few more pass rush moves and strenght( which he may have added in the offseason i hear.) However we are hoping he improves. These other teams units are already superior and have played together.

Also, we ahve 2 players facing serious strikes in Edwards and Allen. None of these other Dlines have players facing suspension( maybe Wilfok, if he doesn't get his temper under wraps. Damn MIA)

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=C Mac D link=topic=46278.msg804231#msg804231 date=1216238272]
    [quote author=erik5032 link=topic=46278.msg804228#msg804228 date=1216238002]

3) Just the rosters.
    Igor Olshansky A
    Jamal Williams A+
    Luis Castillo A
    Overal = 96.6

Overall = 95

Allen - A+
    Kevin - A
    Pat - A
    Edwards - B+
    overall = 94.5

[/quote]

[/quote]

No way.

[/quote]

No we can't run the 3-4 with our current group (Allen is too small, K. Williams might be too slow)
    I am simply saying that when the term Dline is used it is the entire Dline.

I think the other teams' 3 are better than our combined 4.
    I am calling edwards the weak point on the line so far. He will be good but he has to develop. I think he needs a few more pass rush moves and strenght( which he may have added in the offseason i hear.) However we are hoping he improves. These other teams units are already superior and have played together.

Also, we ahve 2 players facing serious strikes in Edwards and Allen. None of these other Dlines have players facing suspension( maybe Wilfok, if he doesn't get his temper under wraps. gol 'darnit MIA)

[/quote]

I completely disagree.
    The Pats?
    How did their DL do against the Giants again?
    And how did ours do?
    And that was without Allen, and with a sick Udeze.

Our DL outperformed them both in rushing D last year, and we have added the NFL sack leader.
    The only thing that you can hold on to is that they haven't played together.
    But that is a pretty minor mark against them.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast