Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

ESPN the Mag - Picks and Quotes

ESPN the Magazine released their picks, as well as 4 of their experts picks in the most recent issue.

ESPN the Mag picks: Vikings over the Colts in Superbowl XL

Steve Young Picked:
    AFC: Ravens, Colts, Patriots, Broncos (Bills, Chargers as WC teams)
    NFC: Vikings, Falcons, Cowboys, Seahawks (Eagles, Saints as WC Teams)
    Colts over Vikings in SBXL

Mark Schlereth Picked:
    AFC: Ravens, Colts, Jets, Chargers (Patriots, Chiefs as WC teams)
    NFC: Vikings, Panthers, Eagles, Cardinals (Falcons, Saints as WC Teams)
    Ravens over Vikings in SBXL

Joe Theismann Picked:
    AFC: Steelers, Colts, Jets, Raiders (Patriots, Chargers as WC teams)
    NFC: Vikings, Falcons, Eagles, Cardinals (Panthers, Redskins as WC Teams)
    Steelers over Redskins in SBXL

Mike Golic Picked:
    AFC: Steelers, Colts, Patriots, Chargers (Jets, Ravens as WC teams)
    NFC: Vikings, Falcons, Eagles, Cardinals (Panthers, Cowboys as WC Teams)
    Colts over Falcons in SBXL

Also, there was a rather good article about Culpepper and the Vikings. Unfortunately, I can't copy and paste it, because they posted it in flash. If you have ESPN insider, you can read it on the site, otherwise, you'll have to buy the magazine to get it. Sorry.

Quotes from the article:
    In the National Fixer-up League, Culpepper has become the games unflappable Bob Vila. (Does FUBU sell flannel?)
    And at each function, when NFL players from across the league mingled, they always ended up at the same topic: the suddenly team-oriented Vikings. "With the salary cap, you thought teams could fix only one thing or add one player," says Saints wideout Donte Stallworth. "The Vikes have flipped the whole dam(n) script." And if it works, none of the game's superstars will ever be safe again.
    Tice put up with Moss' occasionally lazy and self-centered play because the coach thought his team's performance would suffer if he didn't. Then Moss missed parts of six games in the middle of the 2004 season with a strained hammy. Instead of collapsing, the Vikes went 3-3, averaged 25.3 points per game and held their ranking as one of the league's top five offenses.
    No one can touch Moss when the ball's in the air, but Burleson carved out a niche by excelling once the ball got into his hands, gaining 456 of his team best 1006 receiving yards after the catch.
    With Moss back in the lineup, Minnesota finished out the regular season 2-4. That included his walk-off in the regular season finale, when he left the field with two seconds remaining during the Vikes' 21-18 loss to the Redskins. As they say in the biz, he'd just lost the locker room. "With the other stuff we just said that's Randy being Randy," says a current Viking. "When he walked out on us, guys started to think he had something wrong deep down inside him and, as great as he is, until he worked it out, he wouldn't be any good to anybody."
    After a May mini-camp in Oakland, Moss said Raiders QB Kerry Collins was better at reading defenses than Culpepper. "When I heard that, I thought he fell and bumped his head," says Culpepper, whose 93.2 passer rating ranks third in NFL history. "He was just talking crazy."
    (emphasis added)
    "You can gather only so many individual accolades," says Culpepper. "He is one of the best, but now it's always, 'Marino never won a championship.' I definitely do not want that to be said about me when I'm done playing."

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Re: ESPN the Mag - Picks and Quotes

Funny - Theisman picks the Redskins in the Superbowl.

Thanks Josdin.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Steelers vs Redskins in the bowl...I'd rather watch paint dry

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That was a great article on Daunte, I would recommend it to anyone.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"SKOL" wrote:
    Funny - Theisman picks the Redskins in the Superbowl.
    Yeah, I noticed that one, too. The thing that I posted that I found most interesting was Stallworth's (the second) quote from the article. I just think it's interesting that other players a paying attention to what the Vikings did, and see it not as getting rid of a player who'd worn out his welcome, but as a change in the model of how teams deal with free agency.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

If the Steelers and Redskins make the Superbowl, I am likely to cut off my left pinkie toe. I think that would be more enjoyable than watching that game. And I'd have a cooler story to tell.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I think Vikings/Colts, Vikings/Chiefs, Vikings/Raidersor Vikings/Ravens would all be interesting superbowl matchups.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

KY Vike is offline Starter

can someone print the screen if its in flash? i really want to read that article about culpepper and/or the vikes winning the superbowl prediction!
    2 Most Favorite Things:
    1) Minnesota Vikings
    2) Kentucky Basketball. Yeah Baby!

vikesfan is offline Starter

Could someone please tell me which ESPN the Magazine this is in. I went to the store the other day and the newest one they had was August 29th and I didn't see any of this in there. So could someone please tell me the date of this one or what the cover looks like so I can try to find it? Thank you!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

"JDogg926" wrote:
    I think Vikings/Colts, Vikings/Chiefs, Vikings/Raidersor Vikings/Ravens would all be interesting superbowl matchups.
    yup lets get the chiefs or raiders so we can get some revenge for our losses to them in the Super Bowls :twisted:

Thanks Josdin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast