Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Erin Henderson

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    My thoughts in a lot of ways are the same as yours. We keep trying to rebuild, but as we add them very slowly, other blocks are being removed. Too much focus was put on resigning our own mediocre to average players the day FA opened that it gave Spielman little time to focus on signing anyone outside the organization. Many of those should have already been in place.

I think Spielman dreams of building a SB team with a boat load of players under rookie contracts, FA that work for $1 mil a year with 2 or 3 top level players that are paid prime salaries.

It's just not going to happen on his watch the way he's going about it. Yep we had some starters added via the draft last year, but I'm not banking on it every year, It's essentially the same scouting team we've had for several years, only now via FA, Spielman keeps bringing in mediocre players at wholesale prices hoping to find diamonds in the rough.
    I agree. By the time he gets enough draft picks to get us over the hump, the ones before them will be moving on or retiring. Its going to be a losing battle if he only tries to build the team through the draft. You have to have that balance of good free agents and the draft. However he will sign second rate free agents because of price, if he signs any at all. He is an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Let's see, we have no WR's, a mediocre QB, 1 solid DB (Smith), 1 very good LB (Greenway) a DL that is going south based off of stats against the run and pass (which this could very well be the last year of Allen, Robison, and Williams on this team)

I guess for me, the immediate future is not looking the brightest. What are your thoughts, I would love to hear them.
    My thoughts in a lot of ways are the same as yours. We keep trying to rebuild, but as we add them very slowly, other blocks are being removed. Too much focus was put on resigning our own mediocre to average players the day FA opened that it gave Spielman little time to focus on signing anyone outside the organization. Many of those should have already been in place.

I think Spielman dreams of building a SB team with a boat load of players under rookie contracts, FA that work for $1 mil a year with 2 or 3 top level players that are paid prime salaries.

It's just not going to happen on his watch the way he's going about it. Yep we had some starters added via the draft last year, but I'm not banking on it every year, It's essentially the same scouting team we've had for several years, only now via FA, Spielman keeps bringing in mediocre players at wholesale prices hoping to find diamonds in the rough.
    good lord, were you not sick and tired of seeing the Vikings scraping the scrap heap of washed up QBs who were on their last leg and giving them one more shot of glory? Or the other marginal players like bobby wade and shank that they overpaid for in FA and didn't make all star status?

Hell you still bitch about Carlson and the contract he got yet when spielman doesn't go out and overspend this year.

I don't like all of the moves he has made but I am certainly glad they are trying a new approach and bringing in new, young talent and not dumpster diving for guys who should just take up golf instead.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    good lord, were you not sick and tired of seeing the Vikings scraping the scrap heap of washed up QBs who were on their last leg and giving them one more shot of glory? Or the other marginal players like bobby wade and shank that they overpaid for in FA and didn't make all star status?

Hell you still bitch about Carlson and the contract he got yet when spielman doesn't go out and overspend this year.

I don't like all of the moves he has made but I am certainly glad they are trying a new approach and bringing in new, young talent and not dumpster diving for guys who should just take up golf instead.
    There's a huge difference between spending money on talented players & overspending on marginal players. There's also going to extreme the other way & signing mediocre players in the name of "will work for cheap".

Here's Spielman's last years FA signing from outside of our team. Sure they are younger, but how many are above marginal?

RB Joe Banyard
    FB Jerome Felton
    WR Jerome Simpson
    WR Chris Summers
    TE Lamark Brown
    TE John Carlson
    TE Chase Ford
    OT Troy Kropog
    OT Geoffrey Schwartz
    LB Marvin Mitchell

BTW, Spielman was VP of players when they brought in Favre (what was your opinion on that) & is now trying to get Urlacher. That doesn't scream youth movement to me.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Erin Henderson

On Brett, I would rather have had them cut Jackson his second year and focus on getting a younger starter but that didn't happen. I did not want him but it was a better option than Jackson.

I am also not sold in ponder and hope behind the scenes and away from the press they are looking for other options that are young, not ready to retire.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123