Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Erin Henderson

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    When did we stop rebuilding so we could say we started rebuilding again?

We started rebuilding in 2006 & haven't stopped.

People claimed we were rebuilding in 2011 when Frazier took over & we drafted Ponder.

Then they claimed we were rebuilding in 2012 when Spielman took over.

Now there are people claiming we are rebuilding again in 2013.

Let's see, we have no WR's, a mediocre QB, 1 solid DB (Smith), 1 very good LB (Greenway) a DL that is going south based off of stats against the run and pass (which this could very well be the last year of Allen, Robison, and Williams on this team)

I guess for me, the immediate future is not looking the brightest. What are your thoughts, I would love to hear them.

Besides, when you are a 10 win team and a playoff team a year ago, you expect that your front office would improve the team, not take away from it.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    You just have to be realistic about these things. There are 52 roster spots and only 123 million to go around, or roughly an average of 2.35 mill/player. But we all know we have a few stars making quite a bit more than that: Jared Allen is over 17 mil, Peterson is about 9, K-Will around 8 etc...in other words, we have to have some Sanfords and Hendersons on the pay roll in order to fill out the team, or we can't have any Adrian Petersons.

I'm glad we've resigned the 5 guys we have, because that is 5 less spots we absolutely have to add now. IF we score an OLB who excels in training camp and beats out Henderson, great! IF not, well, lucky for us we have a solid guy who knows the system. Sure, he's not spectacular, but he's not all that bad either, and you have to admit, that he and Sanford were part of a 10-6 playoff team last season.

We can only get so many starters out of any one draft, and by my estimation, we still need: 2 WRs, a CB, a MLB and could use a DT upgrade too...and that's just starters, we haven't even talked depth yet.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    You just have to be realistic about these things. There are 52 roster spots and only 123 million to go around, or roughly an average of 2.35 mill/player.
    I understand all that, but its more about what the Vikings don't do versus what they do. For example, how can the Patriots draft Brady in the 6th rd and he turns out to be one of the best QB's of all time? Or how can Seattle draft Wilson in the 3rd or 4th rd and he turns out like that? That dude is not a flash in the pan, he is very good and will only get better as time goes on.

Yet the Vikings reach on Ponder in the 1st rd when he was slated to go in the 2nd rd. That is what I am saying, the Vikings just don't get it right very often. They drafted Troy Williamson 7th overall, we all know how that went. Sure they will strike gold here and there, but this team needs solid players at key positions, not mediocre players at key positions. If you are going to spend big money on certain players, it should be a FRANCHISE QB, at least 1 very good WR, a very good RB, and at least 1 guy on the DL that can get to the QB. We have 2 of the 4, but Allen is going to start dropping off in production if last year was any indication.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    I understand all that, but its more about what the Vikings don't do versus what they do. For example, how can the Patriots draft Brady in the 6th rd and he turns out to be one of the best QB's of all time? Or how can Seattle draft Wilson in the 3rd or 4th rd and he turns out like that? That dude is not a flash in the pan, he is very good and will only get better as time goes on.

Yet the Vikings reach on Ponder in the 1st rd when he was slated to go in the 2nd rd. That is what I am saying, the Vikings just don't get it right very often. They drafted Troy Williamson 7th overall, we all know how that went. Sure they will strike gold here and there, but this team needs solid players at key positions, not mediocre players at key positions. If you are going to spend big money on certain players, it should be a FRANCHISE QB, at least 1 very good WR, a very good RB, and at least 1 guy on the DL that can get to the QB. We have 2 of the 4, but Allen is going to start dropping off in production if last year was any indication.
    You can pick out exceptions for every club (good and bad). Do you really think NE knew what they were getting when they drafted Brady? If they did, I guarantee you he would have been taken before the sixth round. Sometimes, you get lucky. Also, I think a big factor in a lot of these players' success is determined by which team drafts them, how they get coached and how they get used.

The one thing the winning franchises have over most of the others is long term consistency in ownership, management and coaching staff. Something we haven't had in a long time.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I think Henderson is a good LB. Our LB corp as a whole is pretty good.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I think Henderson is a good LB. Our LB corp as a whole is pretty good.
    And we got him signed for 2 years at roughly $2M/yr. Sounds like a pretty good signing.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    And we got him signed for 2 years at roughly $2M/yr. Sounds like a pretty good signing.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    You can pick out exceptions for every club (good and bad). Do you really think NE knew what they were getting when they drafted Brady? If they did, I guarantee you he would have been taken before the sixth round. Sometimes, you get lucky. Also, I think a big factor in a lot of these players' success is determined by which team drafts them, how they get coached and how they get used.

The one thing the winning franchises have over most of the others is long term consistency in ownership, management and coaching staff. Something we haven't had in a long time.
    That's my point. Either the Vikings don't see what others see in players, or they just don't know how to bring players around. There had to be something on Brady that someone that knew what they were looking for picked up on. You don't go in the 6th round and become a instant superstar, there was the makings there, its just that someone knew what they were looking for. The Vikings for whatever reason just aren't capable of getting that franchise QB that will be consistently good for a decade or more, its just not in their DNA.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Let's see, we have no WR's, a mediocre QB, 1 solid DB (Smith), 1 very good LB (Greenway) a DL that is going south based off of stats against the run and pass (which this could very well be the last year of Allen, Robison, and Williams on this team)

I guess for me, the immediate future is not looking the brightest. What are your thoughts, I would love to hear them.
    My thoughts in a lot of ways are the same as yours. We keep trying to rebuild, but as we add them very slowly, other blocks are being removed. Too much focus was put on resigning our own mediocre to average players the day FA opened that it gave Spielman little time to focus on signing anyone outside the organization. Many of those should have already been in place.

I think Spielman dreams of building a SB team with a boat load of players under rookie contracts, FA that work for $1 mil a year with 2 or 3 top level players that are paid prime salaries.

It's just not going to happen on his watch the way he's going about it. Yep we had some starters added via the draft last year, but I'm not banking on it every year, It's essentially the same scouting team we've had for several years, only now via FA, Spielman keeps bringing in mediocre players at wholesale prices hoping to find diamonds in the rough.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast