Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Erasing the past: Erasmus James looks for a fresh start

Published August 01, 2006 12:46 am

Defensive end Erasmus James is more comfortable in his second training camp.

[size=18px]Erasing the past[/size]
    Erasmus James looks for a fresh start

By Shane Frederick
    The Free Press

MANKATO —
    Even as he was starting the final nine games of the 2005 season, even as he was compiling four sacks and 34 tackles, Erasmus James never felt completely comfortable during his first year in the NFL, he said Monday.

Fresh out of an ice bath after the first full-team practice of training camp, the defensive end said this may be his second time through the league, but he’s feeling like a rookie all over again.

“It feels good,” James said. “It feels like a fresh start.”

Actually, this is James’ first, first-week experience in Mankato.

A year ago, the first-round draft pick (No. 18 overall) was a holdout before signing a five-year contract 10 days into training camp.

“He had a good offseason. We expect him to make a jump,” Vikings coach Brad Childress said. “You should make a jump your second year. He’s had one lap around the track, but he (was late for camp last summer) so this is new for him.”

Everything’s new, James said, considering the new coaching staff and the changes Childress and his assistants brought with them.

James said he thought last year’s coaches held his holdout against him most of the season, even when he was a starter, and he never felt like he ever figured out the team’s ever-changing defensive system.

“It wasn’t the right type of coaching staff for me,” James said. “When I got here, I felt a lot of pressure because I got here late, even though guys come in late to camp all the time.”

Now, with defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin’s “Tampa 2” defense, the 6-foot-4, 266-pound end already seems more comfortable than he was last season.

“Last year is out the window,” he said.

James’ success will be key to the success of the defense, both coaches and players said.

James compiled 18 sacks during his career at the University of Wisconsin and had 16 quarterback hurries in 15 games with the Vikings as a rookie.

“It’s important for the edges (to get pressure),” Childress said, “but it’s also important to push the pocket into the quarterback’s lap.”

Safety Darren Sharper said James and third-year defensive end Kenechi Udeze are up to the task, and if they’re successful, Sharper will be licking his chops.

“It’s important how (the defensive ends) play,” Sharper said. “I think they can carry the team. Those two guys can create a lot of turnovers. Those defensive ends can get up the field and cause some easy turnovers.”

The pads will go on today, and James is ready to erase the past and look forward to the rest of camp and the upcoming season.

It’s not unlike his job as a pass rusher.

“It’s just about getting on that edge,” he said, “then it’ll be full speed ahead.”

[/b]Erasing the past[b]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Erasing the past: Erasmus James looks for a fresh start

"singersp" wrote:
    “It wasn’t the right type of coaching staff for me,” James said. “When I got here, I felt a lot of pressure because I got here late, even though guys come in late to camp all the time.”
    I remember they were commenting last year that they were concerned about him not being in on time, and it would be bad for his performance. But this sounds allmost like they were mocking him instead of helping him when he got in.

Or perhaps I overinterpret.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | E. James more comfortable in Tomlin's defense
    Tue, 1 Aug 2006 05:13:27 -0700

Shane Frederick, of The Free Press, reports Minnesota Vikings DL Erasmus James said he had a hard time figuring out the team's ever-changing defensive system during 2005. James said, "It wasn't the right type of coaching staff for me. When I got here, I felt a lot of pressure because I got here late, even though guys come in late to camp all the time." James is more comfortable in new defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin's "Tampa 2" defense.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I have written this before even with Hutch signing the biggest move of the off season was getting rid of Tice and Cottrell.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    I have written this before even with Hutch signing the biggest move of the off season was getting rid of Tice and Cottrell.
    The more I read the more I agree with you that this coaching staff was a mess last season. How we ever went 9-7 is a miracle and shows that this team with the right coaching can be a top team.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Rasmus is gonna breakout this year.He showed is excellent speed last year, and he showed his Viking blood(Bye sacking Farve)Hes a beast and I really think hes gonna have a great year.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

A lot of optimistic articles out today. I'm in a great mood now after reading all of this. Of course the same could be said last year and the season didn't turn out real great. It really seems like the players are happy so far with the coaching staff and thats a huge deal.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

and had 16 quarterback hurries in 15 games with the Vikings as a rookie.

that's a really good sign - this year at least 10 of those hurries will be sacks :wink:

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Looking forward to seeing that D-line!

3 of the people on there are capable of 10 sacks IMO!

One love

tke0933 is offline Pro-Bowler

With his speed and power he should be a major force on that d-line. Looking forward to more picks because of the pressure he will bring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast