Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    good write-up mountainviking and the one thing I'm looking for this year? no more having the CBs leave a huge cushion for the WRs. I want to see us press up on the receivers and make their lives a bloody misery and none of the old 'catch and easy 5 yd pick up' crap that we've seen in recent years.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Hold on to your hats and lock up your daughters gentleman, Marrdro's back.

Not to dig up old memories and such, but I seem to remember you saying when we drafted Floyd that we finally had our 1 technique
    Who knows WHAT we have in Floyd??

Frazier's decision to "bring him on slow" was a huge mistake in my mind, and I think it set the DLman back a half year. If we were going to try to survive Rhodes going through the fire, we should have done the same with Floyd.

He is one of the keys to my "10-6 at a minimum!!" prediction. If he falls flat on his face and turns out to be a bust, my glass won't be as half full as it was...
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Who knows WHAT we have in Floyd??

Frazier's decision to "bring him on slow" was a huge mistake in my mind, and I think it set the DLman back a half year. If we were going to try to survive Rhodes going through the fire, we should have done the same with Floyd.

He is one of the keys to my "10-6 at a minimum!!" prediction. If he falls flat on his face and turns out to be a bust, my glass won't be as half full as it was...
    He suffered an ankle sprain in pre-season which bothered him in the early season. I expect to see a much different Floyd this year. Zimmer will get him going.

little write up on NFL.com about players that will "make a leap" next year. This is one talks about Griffen. Love what Griffen had to say about what Zimmer is doing with the defense and attacking rather than "waiting".

Making the Leap, No. 13: Vikings' Everson Griffen

"We attack now. Our coach lets us attack now," Griffen said recently, per KSTP-AM. "We make plays. I feel like we're go-getters. We're not waiting for them to strike. We're going to strike them before they strike us."
    Making the Leap, No. 13: Vikings' Everson Griffen - NFL.com

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Hey, thanks for the comments all ya'all!! Cheers! Here's a bit more from Griffen...

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Z..._defense062114

That's because Zimmer wants his linemen to occupy blockers and enable the linebackers to run free. This is why the Vikings took Anthony Barr in the first round and will line up the rookie at different spots.

So is Griffen concerned he won't get the type of opportunities that will come Barr's way?

"We're going to rush the passer. I'm not worried about the sacks, the sacks are going to come," he said. "You can't have a set number, you just have to go out there and play. I'm not worried about that. Coach Zimmer is going to let us play and let us do our thing within his scheme. The only thing I can do is go out there, be consistent, read my keys and execute my assignment every time. Then big plays are going to happen."
    I've been searching for the other article I wanted to post all morning, but can't seem to find it...must of been a little blurb on some other article, but I swear I read that Barr was lined up as LB and DE, and on Both Rt & Lt sides of the line during OTAs...as in, he will be moved around and set up to attack from different angles. Anybody else see that quote...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Barr was unable to participate in the OTA's but you are correct that they moved him around during mini-camp.

Keeping Griffen happened before Zimmer was hired, and would thus seem to be more of a Spielman signing than a Zimmer guy, but I think he fits the profile of bigger/stronger too.
    Mike Zimmer was hired on Jan. 15th and we re-signed Everson Griffen on March 9th.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    @GoesslingESPN: We only got to see Barr for three days during the Vikings' mandatory minicamp, of course -- he was finishing school during the Vikings' organized team activities -- but it was clear early that the team plans to move him around quite a bit. He was lined up at strong-side linebacker, saw time with Chad Greenway in the first-team nickel defense and lined up as an edge rusher on a few occasions, which at one point led the Vikings to drop Brian Robison into coverage while Barr rushed from the left end spot. The rookie has impressive edge rush speed and looked like he already had a functional swim move. He'll have to develop a number of moves and strategies to beat offensive tackles, but he could open up new wrinkles for the Vikings' defense, particularly when you consider that Everson Griffen has dropped into coverage before and Robison started his college career as a linebacker. Especially in the first few weeks of the season, unpredictability could be an effective weapon for the Vikings' defense.
    From the blog at ESPN, and so is this:

Anthony Barr, Vikes' D look to mix it up - Minnesota Vikings Blog - ESPN

I think he's right too. We will surprise some of those tough teams we play early because they won't know what to expect and don't have any actual game tape to study. They can go look at last year's Bengals Defense, but there really isn't any tape on what Zimmer will do with the Vikings personnel that he has now...and Anthony Barr does have the physical tools to be surprisingly dangerous early, specially if they can get matchup advantages by moving him around.

I am so freaking excited for this season!!! I am loving what I'm hearing about both of our coaches and their respective schemes, AND everything I've heard so far about our top two picks!!

My expectations are still pretty low, as in I'd be happy with 6 wins, and that is what will make watching this year's Vikings so fun! If we win, awesome!! If we lose, so what, we're no threat in the playoffs this year anyway and I bet there will be parts of the game where we do win by seeing moments of brilliance and individual progress from several our many young, developing, and up & coming players!

SKOL VIKINGS!! BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Hold on to your hats and lock up your daughters gentleman, Marrdro's back.

Not to dig up old memories and such, but I seem to remember you saying when we drafted Floyd that we finally had our 1 technique
    I think, if memory serves, I was just calling him a Warpig, not a 1 tech.

In Marrdro's little world, there are 2 Warpigs on the DL. The 3 Tech and the 1 Tech.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think, if memory serves, I was just calling him a Warpig, not a 1 tech.

In Marrdro's little world, there are 2 Warpigs on the DL. The 3 Tech and the 1 Tech.
    Ok, I have NO idea what you are talking about... which is probably why I suck at IDP players in Fantasy Football.

Care to explain? If you go slow and use drawings, I will NOT be insulted; I will be grateful.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Ok, I have NO idea what you are talking about... which is probably why I suck at IDP players in Fantasy Football.

Care to explain? If you go slow and use drawings, I will NOT be insulted; I will be grateful.
    A Warpig is a big, tuff, mean DT (usually in the Phat Pat or Vince Wilfork mold) that eats up multiple blockers and collapses a pocket at will.

We haven't had one since Phat Pat left and I've been chanting for one since about a year before Phat Pat left while everyone else keeps chanting for shutdown DB's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast