Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Here's some last seasons NFL final tallies that show we put our offense on the field far too little...

Minnesota Defense

31st overall - only Dallas gave up more yards.

32nd points allowed -Very important category because we had to outscore many teams and we had to outscore those teams that we specifically mentioned in those five games.

32nd 3rd down conversions - You want to talk about our D being on the field for so long, here is one reason!

30th yards allowed on third down. Only Tampa and Balt gave up more yards on third down.

As I said before, we are going to have to agree to disagree because our offense was not that bad (middle of the road). Our Defense was one of the worst in the league in all the important categories. How you can even think about blaming the O for the Dallas loss is mind boggling. The Bears, they went 10 play and 66 yards, the browns, almost the exact same thing. Long sustained drives are not the fault of the offense, and those games I saw those drives the D was pathetic if you really want to know the truth.

The Baltimore game the offense gave them the lead three times inside of a 1:02. The D failed us last year and there is no real evidence that you brought up that would lead anyone to believe the offense was the problem. Maybe we shouldn't be blaming the offense for the defense being on the field too long, maybe, just maybe it was the defense's fault their were on the field. 32nd in the league on the third downs does make for a long day.
    I agree with the obvious. The defense was to blame. I also feel the offense was a little better than middle of the road, not because they were good, but because the Packers and Bears defenses were terrible, and there were few defensive powerhouses in the entire league. It was a down year for the league. Only a few teams good on both sides of the ball.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    LOL!! Had to share this one, cracks me up!

Rickspeak, Starring Norv Turner - Daily Norseman

What Norv Meant: Bill Musgrave installed an offense that guys who played 30 years ago would look at and go 'sweet baby Jesus is this offense simple.' We're going to add things like motion, wide receivers, and downfield passes that go more than 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. It's going to be something that will be new and terrifying for fans, but it'll be okay. I promise. Oh, and Adrian Peterson will still be awesome. That won't change.
    hahahahahahaha!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    LOL!! Had to share this one, cracks me up!

Rickspeak, Starring Norv Turner - Daily Norseman
    "Smell the gloves."
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    This sounds good to me. I am really looking forward to seeing our new offense and defense this year.
    Y! SPORTS

Patterson to be number one receiver in the new offense. I like the sound of this.
    Greg Jennings hands No. 1 receiver baton to Cordarrelle Patterson | ProFootballTalk

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Passing on first down? Oh my! I don't know if my heart could take it. I's so used to that 30 year old offense that every team knew what we were doing before the snap.....

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Hard to envision the Offense. Mostly because Norv traditionally runs a Variant of the Air Coryell WCO that is predicated on the QB making his reads 40+ and back vice the way the QB makes his reads in the Walsh Variant, LOS out.

If Cassel is to be the starter, the reads will have to be in accordance with his limp arm strength which is best suited to run the Walsh variant.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Hard to envision the Offense. Mostly because Norv traditionally runs a Variant of the Air Coryell WCO that is predicated on the QB making his reads 40+ and back vice the way the QB makes his reads in the Walsh Variant, LOS out.

If Cassel is to be the starter, the reads will have to be in accordance with his limp arm strength which is best suited to run the Walsh variant.
    Apparently you haven't been reading up or still haven't grasped Turner's variation of the AC offense;

Norv's version of Air Coryell is not as aggressive as the original. It is also less complicated. Norv's version uses more intermediate and sideline routes, and play action than the original. He may not always send out as many receivers in lieu of pass protection as well. His version is run mostly out of a pro-set (2 backs, 1 TE) which makes the run more compelling. He also does not use as extensive a playbook as some other practitioners.
    Fans who think Norv is all about 40+ yard passes will be disappointed. Musgrave called more 40+ pass plays than Turner did last year. In fact Musgrave called twice as many 40+ yard pass plays than Turner called for Rivers in 2012. Only 1 less than Turner called for Rivers in 2011 & 2010 & the same as he called in 2008. Only in 2009 did Turner call significantly more.

What you're going to see are a lot more mid-range passes with receivers being hit in stride & more passes to the TE, namely Rudolph, which is why Turner wanted Cassel in 2013 to QB the Browns & why he wanted him again this year to start for the Vikings.
    Last edited by singersp; 07-05-2014 at 11:50 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

I think we will be seeing more of this ....
    Cordarrelle Patterson Highlights

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Apparently you haven't been reading up or still haven't grasped Turner's variation of the AC offense;

Fans who think Norv is all about 40+ yard passes will be disappointed. Musgrave called more 40+ pass plays than Turner did last year. In fact Musgrave called twice as many 40+ yard pass plays than Turner called for Rivers in 2012. Only 1 less than Turner called for Rivers in 2011 & 2010 & the same as he called in 2008. Only in 2009 did Turner call significantly more.

What you're going to see are a lot more mid-range passes with receivers being hit in stride & more passes to the TE, namely Rudolph, which is why Turner wanted Cassel in 2013 to QB the Browns & why he wanted him again this year to start for the Vikings.
    What is so hard to understand about that? If you have a weak armed QB he isn't going to read Deep to Short for crying out loud.

As I said to you a couple of times already, Norv will (if he has Cassel under center) have to adjust his scheme to the QB under center.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast