Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Envisioning The New Viking Offense

No matter who play QB i think wright will have a big year he showed flashes of tha ability but wasn't really given tha opportunity to play due to simpson

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    No matter who play QB i think wright will have a big year he showed flashes of tha ability but wasn't really given tha opportunity to play due to simpson
    He should get an opportunity early. I expect the NFL or the Vikings to suspend Simpson for his DWI last year, especially after being suspended just 2 years ago for drugs.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Do not forget about the brain dead calls that muskrat was sending in. Calling pass plays to give the other team free time outs when we should of been RUNNING the clock out. Then again Ponder should of been smart enough to audible into a run play even when Muskrat sent in a pass play. Both sides of the ball had a helping hand in them last second losses.

I honestly blame the offensive play calls more then the defense. We knew our defense wasn't that strong, so calling pass plays and failing to convert them killed us in the end. It still boggles me to this day why we would try to pass the ball with under two minutes left and the lead.
    Which games in particular are you referring to? In our last seconds loss to the Ravens, Ponder wasn't playing & if Cassel hadn't thrown to CP, we wouldn't have even taken the lead.

In the GB game, we were ahead 23-7 going into the 4th. Our defense gave up 19 points. Our 1st drive was run, run, run, pass, pass. Our 2nd drive was run, Ponder run, sack. On our last drive of the 4th there was only 46 secs left. Not enough time to waste running. We threw 3 passes & justifiably so. In overtime it was run, sacked, run, run, pass, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass, FG.

In the Cowboys loss our drive after we intercepted the ball it was pass, run run. We got the ball back with only 35 secs left after giving up the TDwhich again is obviously a passing situation.

In the Browns loss, prior to giving up a TD to the Browns, we ran twice then passed, then punted. When we got the ball back, there was only 51 seconds left. Run the ball? Not exactly a good plan when we had 71 yards to go.

The loss to the Bears In our drive prior to giving up the winning TD & then fumbling the kickoff, we pass, run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, FG. We passed 4 times for 2 1st downs including a 22 yarder. We also ran 3 times. AD pounded the ball for a whopping 3 yards total on those 3 carries.

In a nutshell, I disagree with you that it was play calling & lay the blame on the defense.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Which games in particular are you referring to? In our last seconds loss to the Ravens, Ponder wasn't playing & if Cassel hadn't thrown to CP, we wouldn't have even taken the lead.

In the GB game, we were ahead 23-7 going into the 4th. Our defense gave up 19 points. Our 1st drive was run, run, run, pass, pass. Our 2nd drive was run, Ponder run, sack. On our last drive of the 4th there was only 46 secs left. Not enough time to waste running. We threw 3 passes & justifiably so. In overtime it was run, sacked, run, run, pass, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass, FG.

In the Cowboys loss our drive after we intercepted the ball it was pass, run run. We got the ball back with only 35 secs left after giving up the TDwhich again is obviously a passing situation.

In the Browns loss, prior to giving up a TD to the Browns, we ran twice then passed, then punted. When we got the ball back, there was only 51 seconds left. Run the ball? Not exactly a good plan when we had 71 yards to go.

The loss to the Bears In our drive prior to giving up the winning TD & then fumbling the kickoff, we pass, run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, FG. We passed 4 times for 2 1st downs including a 22 yarder. We also ran 3 times. AD pounded the ball for a whopping 3 yards total on those 3 carries.

In a nutshell, I disagree with you that it was play calling & lay the blame on the defense.
    Let me say it again. I blame both sides of the ball for losing them close games. But you have to blame some of the play calling towards the end of some games. I don't remember which game it was but I do remember the vikings having a first and goal from inside the five yard line and muskrat called 3 pass plays and we were forced to kick a field goal. And by calling pass plays and not connecting on them it gave the opposite team free time outs. Worst case scenario we still only get a field goal but we eat up time off the clock and force the other team to use all their timeouts. Best case scenario is that we run time off the clock and score a touchdown to make it a two possession game.

Either way all we needed was for the offense to make some first downs and run out the clock but the play calls didn't always work that way. Maybe it is just me but I hated when we decided to pass the ball in run situations. Perhaps if we had a quarterback worth of shit it would of been different but we didn't.

Again personally I blame both sides of the ball, but I sure as hell won't put the blame on the defense only as you are saying.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

I can agree that last year was a total team fail. Plenty of blame to go around.

But that was last year, this year has my interest level much higher. I don't expect near as much lack of conviction with this staff.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Let me say it again. I blame both sides of the ball for losing them close games. But you have to blame some of the play calling towards the end of some games. I don't remember which game it was but I do remember the vikings having a first and goal from inside the five yard line and muskrat called 3 pass plays and we were forced to kick a field goal. And by calling pass plays and not connecting on them it gave the opposite team free time outs. Worst case scenario we still only get a field goal but we eat up time off the clock and force the other team to use all their timeouts. Best case scenario is that we run time off the clock and score a touchdown to make it a two possession game.

Either way all we needed was for the offense to make some first downs and run out the clock but the play calls didn't always work that way. Maybe it is just me but I hated when we decided to pass the ball in run situations. Perhaps if we had a quarterback worth of shit it would of been different but we didn't.

Again personally I blame both sides of the ball, but I sure as hell won't put the blame on the defense only as you are saying.
    I blame the defense, that is how the NFL is these days you give the D the lead in the last two minutes and they are supposed to shut it down and win the game. There are teams who are consistently winning divisions and championships and guess what, they would have won those games. You can't tell me SF, Sea, Den, NE, Balt or even GB wouldn't go 5-0 or 4-1 in those games.

The Offense may have sputtered and called some bad plays but the D was still given a lead and couldn't close the deal, that is squarely on the D IMO.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 05-29-2014 at 12:35 PM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I blame the defense, that is how the NFL is these days you give the D the lead in the last two minutes and they are supposed to shut it down and win the game. There are teams who are consistently winning divisions and championships and guess what they would have won those games. You can't tell me SF, Sea, Den, NE, Balt or even GB wouldn't go 5-0 or 4-1 in those games.

The Offense may have sputtered and called some bad plays but the D was still given a lead and couldn't close the deal, that is squarely on the D IMO.
    I think it really does depend on what situation the defense is given. 2 minutes left sounds easily defensible, but how long has the defense been on the field previously? Does the other team have all their time outs? Where is the team starting from?

If the offense has just had 4 3-and-outs, and the defense has done a reasonable job to that point, we are putting very tired players on the field for "one more stop". Worst yet, if the defense KNOWS the other team should not have ANY time outs, but the offense screwed the pooch, that lets out a LOT of air.

Now... I agree that our defense let us down a lot.

But to generically say any defense should make the stop no matter what against no matter who... well, I can't agree to that. Our defense DID put up some good games against some great teams, only to lose it all at the end...with NO help from our offense.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I think it really does depend on what situation the defense is given. 2 minutes left sounds easily defensible, but how long has the defense been on the field previously? Does the other team have all their time outs? Where is the team starting from?

If the offense has just had 4 3-and-outs, and the defense has done a reasonable job to that point, we are putting very tired players on the field for "one more stop". Worst yet, if the defense KNOWS the other team should not have ANY time outs, but the offense screwed the pooch, that lets out a LOT of air.

Now... I agree that our defense let us down a lot.

But to generically say any defense should make the stop no matter what against no matter who... well, I can't agree to that. Our defense DID put up some good games against some great teams, only to lose it all at the end...with NO help from our offense.
    I said good D's that win divisions and championships and as a rule I would stand by it. I can remember a few games last year that I can say the O did a stupid thing that lost their team a game. NE comes to mind against NO. But as a rule the D must stop the O if they have the lead in the last few minutes if you want to be successful in the NFL. I was specifically saying our D let us down last year and I will show you the games that they should have won.

Chicago - Last drive the Bears went 66 yards in ten plays and Cutler hit Bennett with :10 to play, our secondary got burned that whole drive (how do you blame the Offense for that one). One stop was all we needed, the back end didn't play well on that drive. If you thought it wasn't the DBs fault I would like to know why.

Cleveland - Hoyer hit Cameron running free in the back of the end zone with :51 left to win the game, I wonder how the D not defending Cameron was the O's fault.

Dallas -Dallas drives 90 yards in 9 plays; drives right down the field and scores with :35 left when Harris is open in the back of the end zone. This was the biggest disappointment, we should have won this game 90 yards in a little over two minutes, that is shameful!!

GB - We are up 23-7 the D played a great three quarters but they were horrible in the last quarter and made Flynn look like the reincarnation of Favre. They score the last 16 points including the game tying FG, they went 60 yards in ten plays and tied the game.

Balt - The offense scored and took the lead three times in side of a 1:02. How can you blame the offense for that debacle.

I believe in general that the D should be able to stop the offense if you want a playoff caliber team. I also believe that in each instance the Vikings D was the cause of those five defeats and I gave you my reasoning for my opinion. The D let us down and we were 0-5 in those games. I think the O scored enough points to win, the lowest point total was 23 and they scored more than 26 in all the other games. If we are going to be above .500 we are going to have to win at least three of those types of games this year. The D has to hold IMO.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 05-30-2014 at 06:57 AM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Vikings should trade for Dez Bryant dnt think they will resign him and tha vikings should release Jennings after this season, Bryant, Patterson and Wright that would be a nice WR core

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Dez Bryant is a 6th Grader in a great athlete's body…no thanks

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast