Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: End of an era

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

End of an era

Posted on Wed, Mar. 15, 2006

[size=18px]End of an era[/size]

Four years ago, Minnesota's Super Bowl hopes rested on the shoulders of owner Red McCombs, coach Mike Tice, receiver Randy Moss and quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Now they're gone.

BOB SANSEVERE

The Vikings are busy remodeling these days. They're moving walls and adding offices at their Winter Park facility. They're also renovating the roster.

The latest alteration didn't involve a new shade of carpet. It involved Daunte Culpepper.

Just like old wallpaper that everyone tired of, Culpepper is history.
    The Vikings traded him Tuesday to the Miami Dolphins for a second-round draft pick. And now look at the new-look Vikings. They could be an episode of ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."

This is not the team fans came to love and loathe over the past few seasons.

Less than 13 months ago, Red McCombs was the owner. Mike Tice was the coach. Randy Moss was the star receiver. Culpepper was the franchise quarterback.

They're all gone now, reduced to lines of type in the team's media guide. What a difference a sale, a firing and a couple of trades can make. The last time a region saw this much change, the Ice Age hit.

McCombs, Tice, Moss and Culpepper all left us with memories, though not nearly enough worth cherishing. McCombs will be remembered mostly as a skinflint who warbled "Purple Pride" far too often. Tice was the coach who would win some and lose far too many. Moss played when he wanted to play. And Culpepper, well, he was bigger than most quarterbacks and stronger than most quarterbacks. He showed us size and strength aren't what wins games or championships.

Things have changed so much since McCombs purchased Vikings.
    He didn't make any sweeping moves in his first year. Zygi Wilf is taking a bulldozer to the team.

Moss is the only one of the Former Four whose departure was not directly related to Wilf. It was more indirect. Tice knew there would be a new owner soon, and he decided he didn't want to be stuck with a self-absorbed, team-chemistry-fracturing malcontent such as Moss in what could be — and ultimately turned out to be — his final season as coach.
    If there was even a shred of doubt that Wilf wanted a massive overhaul of this team, it disappeared with the Culpepper trade.

Wilf and his handpicked coach, Brad Childress, will be able to take the credit, or blame, for how the Vikings perform from here on out.
    This is their team, their era.

I can't argue with trading Culpepper. If he had a healthy knee and a healthier outlook toward his bosses, I'd feel differently. But the uncertainty about whether his knee would allow him to be the player he once was, coupled with his attitude, made this move the right move.

Immediately after Childress became coach, he let everyone in the organization know he doesn't ever want to hear, "This is the way we've been doing it."

Things will be done his way. And anyone who doesn't abide by his way will soon go away.

That had to be part of Childress' appeal to Wilf. They're both authoritarians. Wilf got that way building a billion-dollar development company. Childress had run-ins with Terrell Owens when he was the Philadelphia Eagles' offensive coordinator, and it apparently stripped away any tolerance he had for obstinacy and insubordinate behavior.

Culpepper's refusal to move back to Minnesota to rehab his knee and learn the new offense did not endear him to Childress or Wilf. They refuse to do what Tice and, before him, Denny Green did. Winter Park has become a no-coddle zone.

So Tuesday, the Vikings' alumni got its latest member. And the Vikings and their fans got a better idea of how the team will look in 2006.
    Unless there's a trade to bring in a starting quarterback, Brad Johnson will run the Vikings' offense. There are Brad bashers out there, but Johnson won't lose games the way Culpepper did early last season. He's steady and reliable, and he helped the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win a Super Bowl running a similar offense.

Actually, with the acquisition of running back Chester Taylor, the re-signing of wide receiver Koren Robinson and the likely addition of all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson, the Vikings' offense could be far more productive than the Buccaneers' offense was the year Tampa Bay won it all. It will have to be like that because the Vikings' defense isn't going to be anywhere near as dominant as Tampa Bay's defense was during its championship season.

Childress is working on improving the defense but so far has added only an unheralded linebacker named Ben Leber. The Vikings still need a standout linebacker in the Derrick Brooks mold, a defensive end who can torment quarterbacks and a strong safety.

There still are plenty of renovations to be done.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at [email protected]

End of an era

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: End of an era

start of a better era where you dont have to worry about distractions and just play football!!

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Start of a new era in football dominance!

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

I am still not understanding the Leber thing. Though I am hoping the scouts know way more than I do and they probably do because that's what they do for a living.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

I remeber reading how Childress was talking about controlling the line of scrimmage...looks like are o-line will be dang good considering we get Hutch.

McKinnie, Hutchinson,Birk.

Childress sounds like a discipline person.

Wilf, two thumbs way up.

-bring on the new era!!!!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Amen.... If we get Hutch, we will have probably the best left side in all of football.. I wonder which side will be Chester Taylor's strong side :wink:

Hopefully we won't have anymore distractions next year.. Smoot seems like he has dedicated his offseason to getting in better shape, and soundslike he has alot to prove to us (the greatest football fans in all of football)

You can bet there will be no activity during the by-week next season :wink:

1. Daunte Culpepper-- Gone

2. Moe Williams-- Likely retiring

3. Fred Smoot-- Has dedicated himself to next year

4. Bryant McKinney-- Will not be a distraction next year

Hopefully now with Pepp history, we won't have to hear much about it anymore..

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Amen.... If we get Hutch, we will have probably the best left side in all of football.. I wonder which side will be Chester Taylor's strong side :wink:

Hopefully we won't have anymore distractions next year.. Smoot seems like he has dedicated his offseason to getting in better shape, and soundslike he has alot to prove to us (the greatest football fans in all of football)

You can bet there will be no activity during the by-week next season :wink:

1. Daunte Culpepper-- Gone

2. Moe Williams-- Likely retiring

3. Fred Smoot-- Has dedicated himself to next year

4. Bryant McKinney-- Will not be a distraction next year

Hopefully now with Pepp history, we won't have to hear much about it anymore..
    I believe it when I see it on the field.

Gift is offline Coordinator

"whiteviking24" wrote:
    I remeber reading how Childress was talking about controlling the line of scrimmage...looks like are o-line will be dang good considering we get Hutch.
    I immedietly took a liking to Childress after he said his 1st prorities we O & D line. I think it had been overlooked for too long. It seemed to me that we had just been hoping the guys we had could do the job rather than getting guys we know can do the job. I think our future looks bright.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

about the pic I edited- My boys! I got NO sleep last night. Its all over. No more Pep. He was my favourite from the start and I liked him the most. The other guys- Robert, Cris and Randy were also great when they left all I could think was "oh well at least we have Daunte" Now I can't say that. Too bad so sad. It actually is sad, I cried and I don't care if you guys make fun of me. Pep is gone. Whatever I bleed purple so lets get Childress and Co. a ring. Hopefully lead by Leinart and not Johnson. If you ask me Brad Johnson is the leagues best backup but he can't start anymore. He was never a top 15 QB. He won, don't give me that shit. His defense won. Don't bring up records. When Daunte has his defense to allow less than 20 points he has one of the best winning percentages. Better W% when defense allows less than 20 points but what is the reason for that? That was only about 8 games. Daunte never had a defense and it is tragic that Cotrell didn't put things together untill after he got injured and Ted felt desprite. I don't want to hear any more negative Daunte crap I am sick of defending him all I have to say its that I will miss him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast