Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

Florio's response:

big difference between the two plays

green intentionally went low on a blind-side hit

cherilus was on ground and lunged at allen to stop him

big difference
    My Response:

I respectfully disagree.
    Trent Green did NOT hit Johnson on a blind side hit.
    In fact, his hit was in almost the exact same spot and relative position as the hit Cherilus put on Allen.
    Watch it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxloYLBV0Q

I can concede that Green intentionally went low, while Cherilus was already on the ground.
    If you want to make the case that Cherilus did not have time to get up, I can live with it.
    Other than that, there is very little I see different about the plays.
    So my question remains... why is it unacceptable for the smaller Green to take Johnson out at the knees, but just fine for Cherilus (who probably has 100 pounds on Green) to do the same to Allen.
    Personal dislike aside for the player, it is no less dirty.

Open field chop blocks when the play is perpendicular to the sidelines are dangerous.
    They can end seasons, and even careers, and should not be allowed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler

I agree with NodakPaul, low blocks in the open field should be illegal.
    If the NFL wants to reduce serious injury that should be the case.
    Why not outlaw blocks below the waist entirely?
    It wouldn't be an advantage to either team and knee injuries should be reduced for interior linemen.

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

for the record a chop block constitutes shoulder pads to the thigh, NOT helmet to knee. Helmet to knee is a dirty play regardless of how you look at it. Cherilus deserves a fine to be handed down, just like Oguleye did last week. It was dirty, cheap, and unneccessary. Allen was 10 yards away from the play at best. Had it been a Hines Ward style cleanup i'd be ok with it, but Cherilus made no attempt to BLOCK Allen, he made an attempt to end his season. Watch the hit again, no matter how you look at it, no matter how you spin the words to make it look better, it was a dirty hit with malicious intent, nothing more, nothing less.

I didn't feel sorry for Green when he went low and got killed, he deserved it. Likewise I didn't think Everett deserved as much sympathy for his injury as he got. Any point you lay the crown of your helmet into another player someone is going to get hurt, be it you (in Everett and Greens case) or the other player (in Allen's case).

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Legal yeah I can agree with that, cheap, I can see that as well. But I for one have started to loose confidence in what is defined as what when it is cheap or not. How the hit on Ferotte aganst the Bears was not fined but everything else is is beyond me. Right now Godel needs to step back and re-evulate
    alot of its policies.
    Because it makes no sense.
    The can suspend te guys about the Star caps issue buit let a player whoi is facing felony drug charges still play? Huh?
    One playe have almost 100,00 in fines for "cheap shots" against a QB but a player who hits a QB well after the play from behind does not get one HUH? I am glad Godell is taking a stronger stance on things but there is quite a few of these policies that make zero sense.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Garland" wrote:
    Legal yeah I can agree with that, cheap, I can see that as well. But I for one have started to loose confidence in what is defined as what when it is cheap or not. How the hit on Ferotte aganst the Bears was not fined but everything else is is beyond me. Right now Godel needs to step back and re-evulate
    alot of its policies.
    The can suspend te guys about the Star caps issue buit let a player whoi is facing felony drug charges still play? Huh?
    One playe have almost 100,00 in fines for "cheap shots" against a QB but a player who hits a QB well after the play from behind does not get one HUH? I am glad Godell is taking a stronger stance on things but there is quite a few of these policies that make zero sense.
    +1

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Who gives a shit about the blowhards at PFT anyway?
    Those guys don't know shit.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    alot of its policies.
    +1
    Agreed. This thing is going to backfire when the evidence begins to suggest he is showing favoritism and is no longer impartial.
    Bad idea for the league to be micromanaging hits on quarterbacks, etc.
    I don't disagree with an eye toward safety. But the calls need to be reasonable and consistant.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    alot of its policies.
    +1
    Agreed. This thing is going to backfire when the evidence begins to suggest he is showing favoritism and is no longer impartial.
    Bad idea for the league to be micromanaging hits on quarterbacks, etc.
    I don't disagree with an eye toward safety. But the calls need to be reasonable and consistant.
    You're all slowly starting to see what I've been saying...

Slowly...

But surely...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"BBQ" wrote:
    Who gives a pooh about the blowhards at PFT anyway?
    Those guys don't know pooh.
    BINGO......Post of the week.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234