Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    Florio's response:

    big difference between the two plays

    green intentionally went low on a blind-side hit

    cherilus was on ground and lunged at allen to stop him

    big difference
    My Response:

    I respectfully disagree.
    Trent Green did NOT hit Johnson on a blind side hit.
    In fact, his hit was in almost the exact same spot and relative position as the hit Cherilus put on Allen.
    Watch it again.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxloYLBV0Q

    I can concede that Green intentionally went low, while Cherilus was already on the ground.
    If you want to make the case that Cherilus did not have time to get up, I can live with it.
    Other than that, there is very little I see different about the plays.
    So my question remains... why is it unacceptable for the smaller Green to take Johnson out at the knees, but just fine for Cherilus (who probably has 100 pounds on Green) to do the same to Allen.
    Personal dislike aside for the player, it is no less dirty.

    Open field chop blocks when the play is perpendicular to the sidelines are dangerous.
    They can end seasons, and even careers, and should not be allowed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #32
    purplehelmut's Avatar
    purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central WV
    Posts
    415

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    I agree with NodakPaul, low blocks in the open field should be illegal.
    If the NFL wants to reduce serious injury that should be the case.
    Why not outlaw blocks below the waist entirely?
    It wouldn't be an advantage to either team and knee injuries should be reduced for interior linemen.

  3. #33
    kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    405

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    for the record a chop block constitutes shoulder pads to the thigh, NOT helmet to knee. Helmet to knee is a dirty play regardless of how you look at it. Cherilus deserves a fine to be handed down, just like Oguleye did last week. It was dirty, cheap, and unneccessary. Allen was 10 yards away from the play at best. Had it been a Hines Ward style cleanup i'd be ok with it, but Cherilus made no attempt to BLOCK Allen, he made an attempt to end his season. Watch the hit again, no matter how you look at it, no matter how you spin the words to make it look better, it was a dirty hit with malicious intent, nothing more, nothing less.

    I didn't feel sorry for Green when he went low and got killed, he deserved it. Likewise I didn't think Everett deserved as much sympathy for his injury as he got. Any point you lay the crown of your helmet into another player someone is going to get hurt, be it you (in Everett and Greens case) or the other player (in Allen's case).

  4. #34
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    Legal yeah I can agree with that, cheap, I can see that as well. But I for one have started to loose confidence in what is defined as what when it is cheap or not. How the hit on Ferotte aganst the Bears was not fined but everything else is is beyond me. Right now Godel needs to step back and re-evulate
    alot of its policies.
    Because it makes no sense.
    The can suspend te guys about the Star caps issue buit let a player whoi is facing felony drug charges still play? Huh?
    One playe have almost 100,00 in fines for "cheap shots" against a QB but a player who hits a QB well after the play from behind does not get one HUH? I am glad Godell is taking a stronger stance on things but there is quite a few of these policies that make zero sense.

  5. #35
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "Garland" wrote:
    Legal yeah I can agree with that, cheap, I can see that as well. But I for one have started to loose confidence in what is defined as what when it is cheap or not. How the hit on Ferotte aganst the Bears was not fined but everything else is is beyond me. Right now Godel needs to step back and re-evulate
    alot of its policies.
    Because it makes no sense.
    The can suspend te guys about the Star caps issue buit let a player whoi is facing felony drug charges still play? Huh?
    One playe have almost 100,00 in fines for "cheap shots" against a QB but a player who hits a QB well after the play from behind does not get one HUH? I am glad Godell is taking a stronger stance on things but there is quite a few of these policies that make zero sense.
    +1

  6. #36
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    Who gives a shit about the blowhards at PFT anyway?
    Those guys don't know shit.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  7. #37
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Legal yeah I can agree with that, cheap, I can see that as well. But I for one have started to loose confidence in what is defined as what when it is cheap or not. How the hit on Ferotte aganst the Bears was not fined but everything else is is beyond me. Right now Godel needs to step back and re-evulate
    alot of its policies.
    Because it makes no sense.
    The can suspend te guys about the Star caps issue buit let a player whoi is facing felony drug charges still play? Huh?
    One playe have almost 100,00 in fines for "cheap shots" against a QB but a player who hits a QB well after the play from behind does not get one HUH? I am glad Godell is taking a stronger stance on things but there is quite a few of these policies that make zero sense.
    +1
    Agreed. This thing is going to backfire when the evidence begins to suggest he is showing favoritism and is no longer impartial.
    Bad idea for the league to be micromanaging hits on quarterbacks, etc.
    I don't disagree with an eye toward safety. But the calls need to be reasonable and consistant.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  8. #38
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Legal yeah I can agree with that, cheap, I can see that as well. But I for one have started to loose confidence in what is defined as what when it is cheap or not. How the hit on Ferotte aganst the Bears was not fined but everything else is is beyond me. Right now Godel needs to step back and re-evulate
    alot of its policies.
    Because it makes no sense.
    The can suspend te guys about the Star caps issue buit let a player whoi is facing felony drug charges still play? Huh?
    One playe have almost 100,00 in fines for "cheap shots" against a QB but a player who hits a QB well after the play from behind does not get one HUH? I am glad Godell is taking a stronger stance on things but there is quite a few of these policies that make zero sense.
    +1
    Agreed. This thing is going to backfire when the evidence begins to suggest he is showing favoritism and is no longer impartial.
    Bad idea for the league to be micromanaging hits on quarterbacks, etc.
    I don't disagree with an eye toward safety. But the calls need to be reasonable and consistant.
    You're all slowly starting to see what I've been saying...

    Slowly...

    But surely...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  9. #39
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "BBQ" wrote:
    Who gives a pooh about the blowhards at PFT anyway?
    Those guys don't know pooh.
    BINGO......Post of the week.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Robert Smith vs Mike Florio
    By Tad7 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
  2. Florio and Pereira bitching about Vikings
    By FuadFan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 06:20 AM
  3. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 07:34 AM
  4. Florio Disses on Vikes
    By BobbyOShea in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 06:46 PM
  5. Florio: Vikings @ 23.
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 04:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •