Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39
  1. #21
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "Del" wrote:
    I think the rule is well defined and fair. Allen should have his head on a swivel, eyeing the prize and losing focus on your surroundings gets you hurt.

    That being said I think his reaction during the game was valid as well as entertaining. Everyone knows Offensive lineman are dirty players especially centers who like having another man run his finger down their sweaty ass crack until they poke the bean bag.

    Should we have a no helmet to joint rule? Helmet to ankle 15 yards, helmet to writs, shoulder, elbow, 15 yards?

    Then again the horse collar tackle rule is along the same lines, perhaps the cut/chop block will be eliminated in its entirety, would be a sad day for football if that happened.
    Of course you should keep your head on a swivel, but I don't think Allen should have had his head on a swivel at this point in the play, he had his ears pinned back rushing the passer, in that situation I want him focusing on one thing, putting that Big Lug of A QB into the turf.

    I don't mind cut blocks along the line, but in the open field, which I consider this one to be, it should be illegal.

    But what bothers me most, is that it's only illegal to do this to a quarterback.. and a very shaky rule at that.

    Jared Allen was fined for his hit on Schaub, but there was no penalty on Bernard Pollard on his hit on Tom Brady. Both men could really only hit the QB low on those plays, Pollard's more exaggerated because he was actually coming from the ground, but Allen did not have an unrestricted path by any stretch of the imagination.

    Now he gets hit low and half the country is saying that he's getting a taste of his own medicine and what not.

  2. #22
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,275

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    I don't have a problem with the hit. The QB still had the ball and Allen was chasing after him, so stopping Allen was a priority. You can say Allen would have never gotten there in time but you never know, the players know the plays not over till the whistle blows. Allen should have protected himself. Luckily Allen was stopped before he got his revenge or he would have gotten a suspension, or atleast a personal foul. Allens temper tantrum, while entertaining, did not impress me.

  3. #23
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    Helmet to Knee should be illegal

    I don't care what position you play

    My friend got his leg busted and had blood clots and got a collapsed lung from surgerys (idk how all this shit happened with a broken leg)

    But yah direct hit to the leg with a helmet is no joke.. Sucks too because he was a senior and was all state his junior year.. He was able to rehab and continue sports and got minor league baseball offers from the Yankess Mets and Twins and Cardinals I think?


  4. #24
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    Allen's overreacting is hypocritical.
    And to see him go after that OLineman after that hit was borderline handicapped.

    Instead, I would rather see him wet himself and cry to his coach.
    And not come back in the game..

    :
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  5. #25
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "V4L" wrote:
    Helmet to Knee should be illegal

    I don't care what position you play

    My friend got his leg busted and had blood clots and got a collapsed lung from surgerys (idk how all this pooh happened with a broken leg)

    But yah direct hit to the leg with a helmet is no joke.. Sucks too because he was a senior and was all state his junior year.. He was able to rehab and continue sports and got minor league baseball offers from the Yankess Mets and Twins and Cardinals I think?

    +1
    Sucks to hear about your friend.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #26
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,275

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Helmet to Knee should be illegal

    I don't care what position you play

    My friend got his leg busted and had blood clots and got a collapsed lung from surgerys (idk how all this pooh happened with a broken leg)

    But yah direct hit to the leg with a helmet is no joke.. Sucks too because he was a senior and was all state his junior year.. He was able to rehab and continue sports and got minor league baseball offers from the Yankess Mets and Twins and Cardinals I think?

    +1
    Sucks to hear about your friend.
    No way. This is pro football, people get injured but if they are gonna start tossing flags everytime someone gets hit in the knees they are gonna have to extend the game about 2 hours, because it happens all the time. When tackling you are tought from a very young age to go low and take out the legs. Allen took a really bad hit because he was running
    full speed upright and didn't see it coming.

  7. #27
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Helmet to Knee should be illegal

    I don't care what position you play

    My friend got his leg busted and had blood clots and got a collapsed lung from surgerys (idk how all this pooh happened with a broken leg)

    But yah direct hit to the leg with a helmet is no joke.. Sucks too because he was a senior and was all state his junior year.. He was able to rehab and continue sports and got minor league baseball offers from the Yankess Mets and Twins and Cardinals I think?

    +1
    Sucks to hear about your friend.
    No way. This is pro football, people get injured but if they are gonna start tossing flags everytime someone gets hit in the knees they are gonna have to extend the game about 2 hours, because it happens all the time. When tackling you are tought from a very young age to go low and take out the legs. Allen took a really bad hit because he was running
    full speed upright and didn't see it coming.

    That's tackling

    Blocking someone and driving your helmet into their leg is different then wrapping up someones legs and taking them down

    I don't think you should be able to drive your helmet into someones leg

  8. #28
    majek21kg is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    16

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    I'm tired of all the hate this guy gets for playing hard, and trying to make plays.

    At halftime of the CHI vs. JAX game when Boomer Esiason saw the highlight and he said "well what goes around comes around with all those cheap shots he gives."
    >

    We must be top 3 most fined team in the NFL(No Fun League) this year, and its getting ridiculous.


  9. #29
    AKViking is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    112

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "vike_mike" wrote:
    The Matt Shaub play and the play that Cherilus did were not the same at all.
    Jared Allen's job is to attack the QB.
    That's football.
    I would like to see how many 270 lbs people could stop on a dime after running full speed.
    It is not going to happen.
    However Cherilus was on the ground and got up for the soul purpose of stopping Allen at any cost, even if he were to tear his ACL.
    You can't possibly believe the two are related.

    think of it this way, if it were Anthony Hererra making that exact same hit on Kampman, would you all be bitching about the hit?
    No, you'd be arguing it was perfectly legal and you'd be sick of hearing packers fans complaining.
    this is football, hits happen, and this one was perfectly legal, get over it
    .
    Whoa friend! Best speak for yourself.
    You certainly don't speak for me, nor many others I believe. A legal, cheap, dirty play is still cheap and dirty, regardless of it's legality.
    Thus the understanding of not going for knees among players. If you want to make the knees and below off limits for one player, it should be off limits for all. This is a team sport right? So maybe a D lineman isn't your star Qb, but he may be the key support for your D. Wether it's in his play or his team leadership. Personally I think the chop block should be illegal, period. It ends careers and could have lingering effects. Just ask Willie Howard. Another thing that should be illegal is helmet/shoulder to knee from behind on an engaged player, for the same reason. The chop block is just plain dirty, if it's on the line or in the open field. Not only can it end careers, it has. Get rid of it.

  10. #30
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "Del" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I think the rule is well defined and fair. Allen should have his head on a swivel, eyeing the prize and losing focus on your surroundings gets you hurt.

    That being said I think his reaction during the game was valid as well as entertaining. Everyone knows Offensive lineman are dirty players especially centers who like having another man run his finger down their sweaty ass crack until they poke the bean bag.

    Should we have a no helmet to joint rule? Helmet to ankle 15 yards, helmet to writs, shoulder, elbow, 15 yards?

    Then again the horse collar tackle rule is along the same lines, perhaps the cut/chop block will be eliminated in its entirety, would be a sad day for football if that happened.
    agreed, if you listen to the Jared Allen interview, he said himself, it was a legal hit, and now he looks back, he's not as pissed.
    He said there's like a code between players that you don't go for the knee, and he did, thats why he almost destroyed him in game, i think his words were "If i was going to be done for the season, I was going to make sure he was done with me".
    Oh yeah and I think everything he said is true and valid. I always looked at it as a well defined battle, you dont assume anyone is going to do you any favors, you assume they want you dead and play accordingly. To play any other way is dangerous imo.

    Shouldn't that also apply to a QB then?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Robert Smith vs Mike Florio
    By Tad7 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
  2. Florio and Pereira bitching about Vikings
    By FuadFan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 06:20 AM
  3. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 07:34 AM
  4. Florio Disses on Vikes
    By BobbyOShea in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 06:46 PM
  5. Florio: Vikings @ 23.
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 04:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •