Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    I really love PFT - it is one of my top two sites for getting football news.
    I have been a reader for quite some time, and as such I have noticed that you really have a hard time with your bias against certain players.
    Allen is a perfect example.
    You imply that there is no problem with Cherilus deliberately putting his knee into Allen's knee, and in fact at one point say it was a good play, just in case Culpepper doubled back or fumbled.

    Yet last year, when Trent Green went low at Travis Johnson's knee, you sympathized with Johnson, saying that Green shouldn't have gone low.

    http://archive.profootballtalk.com/10-06-07through10-13-07.htm

    "Do we think that a player should take out a guy's legs on a back-side play?
    No.
    We'd prefer to see a shoulder-to-shoulder blast-off.

    And please spare us the "Johnson outweighs Green by 100 pounds" routine.
    With Johnson not braced to deliver (or receive) a blow, Green could have generated one of the all-time great highlights if he had de-cleated an unwary Johnson with a well-placed left shoulder to Johnson's abdomen."

    "Though Johnson's message reduces the sympathy (or is it empathy?) that anyone might have for him, his point is valid.
    Low blocks on guys who aren't looking is frowned upon in league circles.
    Even though Green paid a price for taking on Johnson's knee with his head, Green probably shouldn't have engaged Johnson below the waist when Johnson didn't see it coming."

    Why the double standard?
    Thoughts?
    Honestly, I know that the block was legal.
    It was dirty, with the intention of hurting a player (which I think is shit), but it was legal.
    What I am getting tired of is Florio's endless rant against Allen.
    Implying that he deserved it is just plain stupid.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    It was legal but like Allen said there is a code among players involving knees. It can ruin careers. The rookie needs to think about what he did. I am glad Allen went after him. Peterson should of went after Harris but he just ran him over instead.
    ;D

  3. #3
    Braddock's Avatar
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    1,630

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    Nodak, I liked it. I would have like you to go after him harder than just asking Why the double standard?, but I liked it.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

  4. #4
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    I agree that it was legal.
    Cheap, but legal.
    And Allen is right, and handled it with class after wards.
    But anyone that says that any player "deserves" an injury is an asshat.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #5
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I really love PFT - it is one of my top two sites for getting football news.
    I have been a reader for quite some time, and as such I have noticed that you really have a hard time with your bias against certain players.
    Allen is a perfect example.
    You imply that there is no problem with Cherilus deliberately putting his knee into Allen's knee, and in fact at one point say it was a good play, just in case Culpepper doubled back or fumbled.

    Yet last year, when Trent Green went low at Travis Johnson's knee, you sympathized with Johnson, saying that Green shouldn't have gone low.

    http://archive.profootballtalk.com/10-06-07through10-13-07.htm

    "Do we think that a player should take out a guy's legs on a back-side play?
    No.
    We'd prefer to see a shoulder-to-shoulder blast-off.

    And please spare us the "Johnson outweighs Green by 100 pounds" routine.
    With Johnson not braced to deliver (or receive) a blow, Green could have generated one of the all-time great highlights if he had de-cleated an unwary Johnson with a well-placed left shoulder to Johnson's abdomen."

    "Though Johnson's message reduces the sympathy (or is it empathy?) that anyone might have for him, his point is valid.
    Low blocks on guys who aren't looking is frowned upon in league circles.
    Even though Green paid a price for taking on Johnson's knee with his head, Green probably shouldn't have engaged Johnson below the waist when Johnson didn't see it coming."

    Why the double standard?
    Thoughts?
    Honestly, I know that the block was legal.
    It was dirty, with the intention of hurting a player (which I think is shit), but it was legal.
    What I am getting tired of is Florio's endless rant against Allen.
    Implying that he deserved it is just plain stupid.
    Don't you mean helmet/shoulder in to Allen's knee?


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  6. #6
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,952

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I agree that it was legal.
    Cheap, but legal.
    And Allen is right, and handled it with class after wards.
    But anyone that says that any player "deserves" an injury is an asshat.
    i agree with you... but even though i took issue with Florio's article and ranting against allen as personal seeing as how Allen plays for us...

    I think Florio was just trying to point out the Allen has no reason/basis to be mad or talk.. since he did the same thing to Schaub and then tried to defend it....

    Besides, i think he's just trying to be objective... he's also a Vikings fan i think!

  7. #7
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I agree that it was legal.
    Cheap, but legal.
    And Allen is right, and handled it with class after wards.
    But anyone that says that any player "deserves" an injury is an asshat.
    The legal part is what bothers me.

    If indeed the league is trying to protect players from injury(as was apparently the case in fining Allen for his hits this year), then where is the justice in letting players at other positions legally suffer hits that could just as easily end their careers? It is either right or wrong to hit a player like that whether they are a Qb, Adl or a punter. I just want to see consistency and this is not consistent.

  8. #8
    Del Rio is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    881

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    I think the rule is well defined and fair. Allen should have his head on a swivel, eyeing the prize and losing focus on your surroundings gets you hurt.

    That being said I think his reaction during the game was valid as well as entertaining. Everyone knows Offensive lineman are dirty players especially centers who like having another man run his finger down their sweaty ass crack until they poke the bean bag.

    Should we have a no helmet to joint rule? Helmet to ankle 15 yards, helmet to writs, shoulder, elbow, 15 yards?

    Then again the horse collar tackle rule is along the same lines, perhaps the cut/chop block will be eliminated in its entirety, would be a sad day for football if that happened.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

    My posts are worth 6 of yours.

  9. #9
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "Del" wrote:
    I think the rule is well defined and fair. Allen should have his head on a swivel, eyeing the prize and losing focus on your surroundings gets you hurt.

    That being said I think his reaction during the game was valid as well as entertaining. Everyone knows Offensive lineman are dirty players especially centers who like having another man run his finger down their sweaty ass crack until they poke the bean bag.

    Should we have a no helmet to joint rule? Helmet to ankle 15 yards, helmet to writs, shoulder, elbow, 15 yards?

    Then again the horse collar tackle rule is along the same lines, perhaps the cut/chop block will be eliminated in its entirety, would be a sad day for football if that happened.
    agreed, if you listen to the Jared Allen interview, he said himself, it was a legal hit, and now he looks back, he's not as pissed.
    He said there's like a code between players that you don't go for the knee, and he did, thats why he almost destroyed him in game, i think his words were "If i was going to be done for the season, I was going to make sure he was done with me".

  10. #10
    Del Rio is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    881

    Re: Email to Florio regarding Cherilus's hit on Allen

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I think the rule is well defined and fair. Allen should have his head on a swivel, eyeing the prize and losing focus on your surroundings gets you hurt.

    That being said I think his reaction during the game was valid as well as entertaining. Everyone knows Offensive lineman are dirty players especially centers who like having another man run his finger down their sweaty ass crack until they poke the bean bag.

    Should we have a no helmet to joint rule? Helmet to ankle 15 yards, helmet to writs, shoulder, elbow, 15 yards?

    Then again the horse collar tackle rule is along the same lines, perhaps the cut/chop block will be eliminated in its entirety, would be a sad day for football if that happened.
    agreed, if you listen to the Jared Allen interview, he said himself, it was a legal hit, and now he looks back, he's not as pissed.
    He said there's like a code between players that you don't go for the knee, and he did, thats why he almost destroyed him in game, i think his words were "If i was going to be done for the season, I was going to make sure he was done with me".
    Oh yeah and I think everything he said is true and valid. I always looked at it as a well defined battle, you dont assume anyone is going to do you any favors, you assume they want you dead and play accordingly. To play any other way is dangerous imo.

    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

    My posts are worth 6 of yours.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Robert Smith vs Mike Florio
    By Tad7 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
  2. Florio and Pereira bitching about Vikings
    By FuadFan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 06:20 AM
  3. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 07:34 AM
  4. Florio Disses on Vikes
    By BobbyOShea in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 06:46 PM
  5. Florio: Vikings @ 23.
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 04:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •