Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

Elling Must Be Cut!

Man we fired the guy cause he sucks, TN took
    a chance than fired him cause he sucks than
    we resign him???? AGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

He still sucks

Anderson may not have the leg, but he can hang one up there. Let him do the job he's paid for.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Elling Must Be Cut!

This is from Tice's Press Conference on Tuesday.

A good hang time in the NFL is 4.2 for a kickoff, judge for yourself what you think of his hangtimes.

Why does Tice judge times differently than the rest of the NFL.

Q: Any thoughts on the kicking game?

A: Yeah, that's just a wonderful thing. I think we all get hung up on guys kicking the ball to the goal line. I actually thought all of (Aaron Elling's) kicks were good except for the last one. They were in the range of 3.89, 3.87, 4.03, 3.91, and then the last one was not very good hang time-wise. The hang time is what we're looking for. Because of the speed we have they can hang the ball up and we're getting inside the 30 on it with our coverage and we're doing a decent job. The one that was returned in the 2nd half, the hang time was good. It was 3.87, 3.89. The coverage was not as smart, or should I say aware, as it should have been. The last kick was not a good kick. The last kick was not a good kick.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

Elling Must Be Cut!

Doesn't really matter. If you don't stay in your lanes, then any hang time is going to get ran back. They were reaching the returner by the 20 yard line then it is up to them to contain and tackle. They have never done that well.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Elling Must Be Cut!

Beats ma as to why Elling was resigned there has to be a better answer.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Elling Must Be Cut!

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Doesn't really matter. If you don't stay in your lanes, then any hang time is going to get ran back. They were reaching the returner by the 20 yard line then it is up to them to contain and tackle. They have never done that well.

think about this, the kickoff is 60 yards (would be the 10 yard line), how fast can you run 60 yards, a good 40 time is 4.4 seconds. Because they get a running start by the time the kicking team hits the 30 yard line (the kicking spot), if they can cover that 60 yards in 6.5 second would be a good time.

The receiver has to catch the ball and start to run, that takes about 1.5 seconds the kick if it takes 4.2 seconds to get there that is 5.7 seconds.

If you have Elling kicking and the hang time is about 3.4 (on his last kick) + the 1.5 for the returner to get started 4.9 seconds. No cover guy is going to be down that far in 4.9 seconds, so the return man is 15 to 20 yards down field and moving fast.

If I am way off base with this than please tell me, but I think this is our main problem!

Del Rio Guest

Elling Must Be Cut!

I understand the logic behind what you're saying and I know you are right. But you are also missing the point that this has been a problem before Elling. Kickoff team has been bad for a long time.

Now when you get to the point of contact wether it be the 10 yard line or the 30 yard line, the contain is designed to herd the returner so he can be cluster tackled. It's not designed for one guy to get a massive hit on the ball carrier.

So if everybody does thier job you should be able to wrangle the returner into a cluster of defenders, this is done by holding your angle and shedding blocks.

i understand your point, but when the ball hits the 8 yard line and our defenders are at the 25-20 yard line when the returner is there is no excuse for not stopping him.

If you want a kicker that can hang the ball up 5 seconds good luck isn't going to happen. His kicks are average, at least that's what Tice said.
    So I think the coverage is to blame.

While we continue to shop for the elusive kicker position we should try to find someone who will put it out of the endzone so it solves everyones worries.

Elling Must Be Cut!

That is my point is his kicks are not average, he is not a good kicker. 44 year old Morten Andersen was just as good on his kickoffs.

It is not the defenders if you line drive kicks you get long returns.

And I don't want someone that hang time is 5 seconds I want someone that can hang them for 4.1 to 4.2 seconds and there are plenty of teams that have kickers that can do it.

Ellings sucks and is not a good kicker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123