Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EJ, McKinnie and the Tell

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/vikings/14662

Here's my latest RF365 article.

I hope Brinkley uses this opportunity to step into stardom.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:EJ, McKinnie and the Tell

Absolutely love your stuff my friend, but as always, gotta couple of comments for ya....

a. The way to alleviate the "Leg" issue with Big Mac isn't so much related to audibles, but rather to change the pace the way the team runs the plays. Trust me, you get up there and do a few quick snaps and that DE/DT won't be looking at Big Macs leg anymore, he will be looking at the ball the way he is supposed to be.

b. I actually like the pickup of Jasper this year. One of the few players I actually did some research on for my mock draft that wound up being a Viking.

When one looks at his production, one needs to look at the story behind his injury and how it affected his play the following year. Dude as blowed up like a baloon because he couldn't work out and get back down to playing weight. Which by the way, eventually was a knock on him and his ability to play MLB. Most thought he was to slow.

Aside from that. Great stuff my friend. Keep posting them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not worried about the depth on the lines right now, the Vikings are sitting good compared to most teams...that, and the QB position depth is solid. EJ sits out again, will be missed and I really am interested to see how Brinkley will pan out. Winfield getting back into the mix should help hide some of the defensive weakness.

The Bengals are coming to town and we match up well with them when comparing their offenses. On defense they lead the Vikings in most categories. Will be a good game.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Thanks, Marrdo.

Good points about the quick snaps. I really think Favre makes Bevel look better than he really is, and can't understand why so much of the razzle dazzle never makes it to the field.

I don't know much about Brinkley, but I'm hoping to learn a lot more, quickly, from him becoming a new star on the team.

Back to McKinnie, though, it's seemed all season that the o-line hasn't protected Favre as well as it seems they should. Maybe this has been a major part of that all along.

And, don't worry, as long as I'm writing Vikings stuff, I'll be posting it here. This is the best forum I've stumbled upon in ten years.

Mike Bullock wrote:
    Thanks, Marrdo.

Good points about the quick snaps. I really think Favre makes Bevel look better than he really is, and can't understand why so much of the razzle dazzle never makes it to the field.

I don't know much about Brinkley, but I'm hoping to learn a lot more, quickly, from him becoming a new star on the team.

Back to McKinnie, though, it's seemed all season that the o-line hasn't protected Favre as well as it seems they should. Maybe this has been a major part of that all along.

And, don't worry, as long as I'm writing Vikings stuff, I'll be posting it here. This is the best forum I've stumbled upon in ten years.
    I hate razzle dazzle. Absolutely love lining up in your base offense and dicating your will on the other team.

Thats why you will see me talk about things like "In Line" TE's. Cats that are big enough to block as well as get out in space and catch the ball. Shanc, IMHO is one of those and why I took so much shit over him the first 2 years he was here. Because he can do both it makes our offense less predictable.

Don't get me wrong though, I see the benifits of a 4 Wide set as well.

I know that there has been some good stuff out there about how poorly our OL has played and almost all of it is probably spot on, but lets not forget.......

a. We have a new C and a new RT (as well as a new RG because of injury).
    b. We run one of the most complex blocking schemes (Zone Blocking) as well as a mix of the more "Hat on Hat" stuff in pass protection.
    c. We have tweaked the ZB scheme a bit this year and are doing some "Tracking" when it comes to who blocks who and who disengages. Again, I profess that I am not up to snuff on that but a High School coach gave me a 101 and he called it "Railroading". If you do a quick google you can find a little on it that explains it.

Mostly it has to do with eliminating the risk of holding penalties when running reverse plays when ZB'ing. Still waiting for someone to join the site (or come back Del)and help with the understanding of this.

Long story short, I have been disappointed with the OL play but believe that sometimes we have just seen the guys on the other side make some damn good plays as well.

Lest we forget, they are over there to make us look silly.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:

I hate razzle dazzle. Absolutely love lining up in your base offense and dicating your will on the other team.

Don't get me wrong, smash mouth football is great, but lining Percy and Adrian in the backfield, in a three wide set with Shiancoe as the slot receiver, then running 1-2 cross with the backs would certainly confuse a defense, even more so if one of the backs ran to the strong side while Shiancoe faked a reverse.

That's the razzle dazzle kind of stuff I'd like to see. It doesn't have to come from a four wide.

Taking a heavy dose of smash mouth and spicing it up with some razzle keeps the defense guessing, and makes THEM look silly at times. That's why I like it. It's amazing how hard it is to think fast and react to a bit of trickery after someone has physically beaten the snot out of you.

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

I'm concerned about Brinkley, the rookie, first start against the Bengals. I'm sure Carson will key on him.

About Mckinnie, for sure if we the fans are discussing this, then the players knew eons ago.

I'm not so sure this is a quick fix. Look at Peterson and his fumbling. It's been three years and his fumbling is not yet fixed.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

Mike Bullock wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Don't get me wrong, smash mouth football is great, but lining Percy and Adrian in the backfield, in a three wide set with Shiancoe as the slot receiver, then running 1-2 cross with the backs would certainly confuse a defense, even more so if one of the backs ran to the strong side while Shiancoe faked a reverse.

That's the razzle dazzle kind of stuff I'd like to see. It doesn't have to come from a four wide.

Taking a heavy dose of smash mouth and spicing it up with some razzle keeps the defense guessing, and makes THEM look silly at times. That's why I like it. It's amazing how hard it is to think fast and react to a bit of trickery after someone has physically beaten the snot out of you.
    I hear ya, but its hard for both teams to think fast and react when the "Trickery" is going on.

Remember the fancy AD/PH double reverse?

Marrdro wrote:
    Remember the fancy AD/PH double reverse?
    Someone needs to invent invisible stickum for AD...

XTAP59 wrote:

I'm not so sure this is a quick fix. Look at Peterson and his fumbling. It's been three years and his fumbling is not yet fixed.
    That thought is certainly a step down the road where good things don't dwell...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast