Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Is EJ Henderson the answer?

None of us can say for sure whether EJ will or will not succeed at MLB this year. He pretty much failed before, and we have a new DC again.

However.....

Cottrell was pretty much crap as a coodinator, EJ was significantly younger/inexperenced then, and we had NO DEPTH WHATSOEVER. This time around, we have a lot more options if he seems to be failing, and we can try to plug him back into weak-side if need be. The fact is, whether or not he will succeed in that particular position is going to have a smaller negative impact on our LB corps this time around. I'm a little hesitant about his chances, but I'm pretty confident that we won't have a gaping hole in the middle for the entire season.
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

We should have solid run D again...his playing has improved dramatically the past two years, but his pass coverage does worry me a little...they might be planning on letting him play closer, and having the faster, outside guys drop back more...I think he's an all around better player, so hopefully, yeah, I think he'll get the job done.

My question is Does he have the instinct to call what the other team is planning?
    And, I wonder how ready Greenway's knee is...?
    Who do suppose would get weakside if Greenway can't go?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

i think you guys are putting too much of an onus on the lb's pass coverage last year.
    with the amount of time qb's had and with guys like ronyell whitacker getting beat they weren't taht bad.
    it's a zone defense so it's not like guys are playing man to man and really how many tight ends really ripped us up last year.

what i remember about ej playing in the middle was his lack of getting guys in the right place.
    time in the league definitely would have helped that so you gotta feel like he's gonna be fine.
    the bigger question is what we are gonna do to get to the qb this year?
    whether we draft or sign a june 1st cut, a pass rush will make even a poor covering lb corp look good.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

"mountainviking" wrote:
    We should have solid run D again...his playing has improved dramatically the past two years, but his pass coverage does worry me a little...they might be planning on letting him play closer, and having the faster, outside guys drop back more...I think he's an all around better player, so hopefully, yeah, I think he'll get the job done.

My question is Does he have the instinct to call what the other team is planning?
    And, I wonder how ready Greenway's knee is...?
    Who do suppose would get weakside if Greenway can't go?
    Thomas can fill in if Greenway isn't ready, but all accounts I've read seem to indicate he is well along on the road to recovery.

I would guess EJH is the starter in the middle, but Greenway would move inside to replace EJH on obvious passing downs.
    Greenway, according to what I read last year, has good pass coverage skills and good speed.

EJH may need help calling signals, but if he had problems in the past, that may have been due to Ted Cottrell's system, which had to be simplified more than once to be intelligible.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

At least we know EJ can play Weakside, which counts dor something if he isn't successful this year at MLB.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    At least we know EJ can play Weakside, which counts dor something if he isn't successful this year at MLB.
    Its got me nervous....Im not sure if he will be as successful in the middle as the weak side. I hope he learned and will do well.

Childress must have something that tells him he would succeed in the middle or he wouldn't have given him the long term contract this year. We have Leber who has 4 years left I believe, we have Greenway, who has a good number of years left. Leber and Greenway both play the outside, and they will be there for a number of years, we are set in that position. So if Childress didn't think Henderson could play the Middle, he wouldn't have gave such a good contract to him, he would have just let his contract run out and brought back Harris or another middle linebacker.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

vikefan522 is offline Training Camp

EJ could be, if coached well enough and with a decent pass he'll b fine.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Well it's Childress' answer to who will play MLB until he decides to change it. So we will all have to live with it regardless if we think it's the right choice or not.

I just hope he will do better in that role, than he did the previous time they put him there.

Personally, I would have kept him where he was. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. But with Napo being cut loose, someone had to be moved over to that position.

Henderson has the longest tenure & experience as a Viking in a starting role, with Thomas being next.

Leber has only been here a year, but that might not play into it seeing how Napo was cast into the role after being a Viking for only 1 year, but I happen to think he is doing a fine job where he is at also.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    I just hope he will do better in that role, than he did the previous time they put him there.

Personally, I would have kept him where he was. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. But with Napo being cut loose, someone had to be moved over to that position.

Henderson has the longest tenure & experience as a Viking in a starting role, with Thomas being next.
    I think EJ was tossed in there before he was ready.
    I think he's ready now, and there are a couple of reasons why.

I remember from his college career (living outside DC, the local paper is the Washington Post, so they have good coverage on the Terps) that he also started slowly and had to grow into the position of MLB.
    By his senior year (since he stayed for all 4) he was a monster and controlling the defense.

My ardent hope is that he needed an equivalent amount of time to work on his game and leadership in the NFL version of football and now he is ready to be The Man.

MLB is his natural position, as well.
    Although we all are aware of what the MLB is supposed to be in the Cover 2 and there are questions as to how EJ will handle the downfield coverage stuff.
    But he's a tackling machine, so I'm really happy about that.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

While I won't jump to conclusions, I do question his coverage ability. I do hope he can prove everyone wrong and breakout big this year, help solidify our defense once and for all, along with Greenway as well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast