On either side, Darrion Scott's an asset

Published August 10, 2006 01:04 am

Darrion Scott has moved around on the Vikings defensive line

[size=18px]On either side, Scott's an asset[/size]
    Defensive end adds depth

By Jim Rueda
    The Free Press

MANKATO —
    Third-year end Darrion Scott has been playing the lineman shuffle since he began his career with the Minnesota Vikings in 2004. But the former third-round draft pick out of Ohio State has no problems with learning different positions.

“I played the left side my rookie year and moved over to the right side my second year,” he said. “Now I’m playing left end again and it looks like I might be expected to play inside a little on some passing down.

“I’m really not being asked to do anything differently than I have in the past. My role is still basically the same; nothing has changed except for the scheme.”

Scott’s versatility was apparent last season as he started the first seven games at right defensive end and moved to left end where he started the final eight games at left defensive end. His move coincided with the insertion of Erasmus James into the lineup and helped Minnesota go 7-2 down the stretch.

Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin was not around last season but he’s not surprised that the 6-foot, 280-pound end played well in the second half of 205.

“(Darrion Scott) is a powerful guy and he’s more athletic than you think he is,” Tomlin said. “He’s doing some good things and, quite frankly, we need him to have a great camp and play well.”

Last year Scott ranked second among Vikings’ defensive linemen with 80 tackles and with four sacks. He was also third on the team with 14 quarterback hurries. As of now, he is listed behind starter Kenechi Udeze on the team’s depth chart at left end.

“This team definitely has a lot of depth on the line,” Scott said. “(Defensive line) coach (Karl) Dunbar and (defensive assistant) coach (Brendan) Daly have a done a tremendous job as far as going back and showing us technique. We’ve made some nice progress from back in mini-camps in Eden Prairie up until now.”

Scott says the scheme being implemented is similar to the scheme used by Indianapolis. It relies on smaller, quicker defensive ends who can get after the quarterback.

“They want us getting upfield and they want us to be able to play the whole game and not get fatigued,” he said. “We need to be light and quick and get after it and cause lots of havoc. Even the big guys up front, like Kevin Williams and Pat Williams, are athletic enough to get upfield and to keep the quarterback from stepping up.”

Tomlin is looking forward to seeing how Scott and the rest of the defensive linemen fare against Oakland on Monday night. He says you can tell a lot about a player when they are facing “live bullets” as opposed to their teammates in practice.”

“We need to create competition at the end position and Darrion is doing that,” Tomlin said. “He’s driving everybody in the group. I can’t wait to see those guys play and sort themselves out.”

On either side, Scott's an asset

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: On either side, Darrion Scott's an asset

I'm glad he's on the team. An injury can happen anytime & it's good to know he's versatile.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

He played really good football last year, its nice to have good depth at the DE position. Maybe not the pass rush specailist you want but a solid contributer.

Didn't we get another D Scott from the Chargers this offseason? I think he was also a DE.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Yeah, always nice to have depth, and I always thought he was pretty solid.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

I thought the title said "On either side, Darrion Scott's on acid" ....I was like what? ...ROFL.