Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Edwards Still Wants Out of SD

"grpape" wrote:
    He does have a back that is bothering him (he hasn't be playin much at all). This is what concerns me: he is a bit older, wants a big pay day (probably thinking it'll be his last), and he has a bad back. I do agree that we need some depth, but I'm not sold on Edwards as being the answer. Maybe it's just me, but a MLB with a bad back isn't too appealing.
    Does anyone know the extent of his back pain?
    From my understanding it's nothing that serious.
    He's 33 years old.
    Not that old when you consider he keeps himself in pretty tip-top shape.
    The guy has had over 100 tackles in a season on a consistent basis.
    We don't only need depth at LB.
    We need a field general.
    Edwards provides that leadership that none of the other LBs possess at this time.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"ejmat" wrote:
    Edwards provides that leadership that none of the other LBs possess at this time.

I gotta disagree with this statement. I would like to see us go after Edwards, but I will say that Napo is in the middle right now and getting praised by the coaching staff, because of his leadership skills and ability to communicate and be that QB of a D. That is his biggest asset or strength and why he is the definite starter at MLB for us right now.

I am not as down on Napo playing MLB as some other people are. He is doing a fine job there so far and as many people should remember, I was adimate last offseason when we traded Moss for him, that we put him in the middle, cause it is definitely where he belongs. Do I think Edwards would be an upgrade over Napo at MLB? I would say he probably would be since he has the same leadership skills that Napo has, but seems to be the better coverage LB that we need at MLB in the Tampa 2. But I still think Napo would be just fine for us as a starter in the middle.

The thing I am most worried about at LB, is depth. It's d@mn hard for a LB'ing unit to stay healthy for a full season and I would love to get Edwards just so we have a little bit more depth at LB. I don't have much faith in any of our backups right now.

But again, as much as I would like to see us pursue Edwards, I will not bash(not saying you personally were bashing Napo) Napo as a reason why we should get Edwards, because Napo has done a fine job at MLB so far this year and also did a fine job at that position in Oakland.

If we don't get Edwards I will not be worried about our starting unit at LB, but I will be very worried about any one of them getting hurt and going down. This is the big reason why the Greenway injury sucks so bad for us. Not because he was gonna start, but because he was a good player, provided good depth, and was destined to see the field a lot as a rookie regardless.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

id rather use the money saved on koren as well as the 3rd rd pick to get deion branch
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"olson_10" wrote:
    id rather use the money saved on koren as well as the 3rd rd pick to get deion branch

I'd love to get Branch, however I think looking at this team, that we are gonna be one of those teams that relies on a great D, good ST's play, and an offense that does just enough to win(branch or no Branch). That is the reason why I would probably pick a good D player over adding a guy like Branch to our offense. Even with Branch, I really don't see an offense that will win many games for the team. I think we are looking at a team that will rely on it's D a ton this year, to win games. Edwards would probably give us an upgrade to the D as well as give us some very much needed depth at LB.

I do also worry about our receiving depth too though and wouldn't be pissed if we did go get Branch. Williamson and Robinson are far from guys we can trust to stay healthy for a 16 game season and we are obviously gonna be looking to add a young WR next offseason, so it would seem smart to use a draft pick or 2(obviously not a 1st though), to add a good proven young WR like Branch.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

"olson_10" wrote:
    I highly doubt that we could get Branch for a 3rd round pick.
    From what I read, we would be lucky to get him for a 2nd rounder..... Also, his paycheck would be much larger that Koren's was.

Thanks Lotza!

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

I agree muchluv. Edwards would be great insurance for the season. However, how much would we have to pay for that insurance. If we could get him at fair value, I'd say sign him up! Do you think he would care if he wasn't a starter?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    After looking at Edward's stats ( I know it's not all about stats) he's even better than I realized.
    Let's face it, a LBs stats tells what kind of player you are.
    They also help win games.
    Bottom line is we need a LB.
    This guy wants out of SD.
    I can't understand what people have against the guy.
    He's a solid player year in and year out.
    He's a leader.

Byh the way Fuad, you talk about not wanting to get someone this late in the preseason.
    Can I remind you of when we got Greg Biekert?
    I think he turned out just fine for us while he was here.

Cajun, I think you and I need to go speak with Childress and get this trade started.
    Just let me call and get the Lear jet gassed up and I will fly out to pick you up, then we can go on over to Winter Park and get those guys straightened out!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

"SKOL" wrote:
    Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing him here.
    LB is our biggest question mark.

Skol to that Skol
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    After looking at Edward's stats ( I know it's not all about stats) he's even better than I realized.
    Let's face it, a LBs stats tells what kind of player you are.
    They also help win games.
    Bottom line is we need a LB.
    This guy wants out of SD.
    I can't understand what people have against the guy.
    He's a solid player year in and year out.
    He's a leader.

Byh the way Fuad, you talk about not wanting to get someone this late in the preseason.
    Can I remind you of when we got Greg Biekert?
    I think he turned out just fine for us while he was here.

Cajun, I think you and I need to go speak with Childress and get this trade started.
    Just let me call and get the Lear jet gassed up and I will fly out to pick you up, then we can go on over to Winter Park and get those guys straightened out!
    Let's do it my friend.

Muchluv, that's a fair statement as well.
    I will be very honest and say I don't know what kind of leadership Napo has brought to the team.
    I will say I'm not very impressed with his game time play so far.
    Then again, on a tv I don't see everything that's happening and I'm not able to see the entire play except for what is shown.

If the staff thinks he's showing the leadership needed at practices so be it.
    They know a heck of a lot more than I do about what's going on.
    I will say from what I've seen he hasn't done a whole lot during game time.
    Practices and game time are 2 different things.
    Napo has talent and potential.
    He had a good year in Oakland.
    However, last year with MN was horrible.
    I don't really know what Napo will bring this year because he has been inconsistent.
    What I do know is what someone like Edwards would bring to this team.
    He is consistent every year.
    I think we really need proven talent out there.
    Not just guys that can step it up in practice.
    that's nice and all but when he does it during a game I will be satisfied.
    until then, I will say we are short staffed at LB and we do not have a proven leader on the field.
    If Napo can step it up and be that person I would love it.
    As for now he hasn't proven it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234