Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Early look at Vikes vs. Titans

Just thought I'd get some conversation started on next weeks game.

I'm thinking that the Titans might be as good as any team we play this year based on what we've seen so far.
    And that basically is some dominating performances by their defense.

In their three games against the Jaguars, Bengals, and Texans they have given up 10, 7, and 12 points, respectively (9.7/game, #1 in the NFL).
    They also have given up less than 250 yards/game (#3 in the NFL).
    They get after the passer (11 sacks so far), and they have 7 interceptions to 1 passing TD allowed.

The advantage for the Vikings will be our defense against their offense.
    They move the ball using a power running game.
    They average more than 150 yards rushing/game with the tandem of LenDale White and Chris Johnson, but only have one run of over 20 yards.
    Their passing game has been effective but not heavily used with Kerry Collins, with under 200 yards/game.
    That should feed right into the Vikes' strength, as I expect they'll have trouble moving the ball on the ground with the Vikings' big tackles controlling the line and the solid tacklers behind them.

My initial thought is that the keys will be controlling the clock so that our defensive line does not get worn down and, of course, turnovers.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Early look at Vikes vs. Titans

Titans are going to pound Gus sooo hard.
    We're bringing purple back.

Krumb is offline Pro-Bowler

Other then Lendale White out weighing Pat Williams theres nothing too exciting about the Titans , There offensive philosiphy plays right into our strength like you said , I'm excited too see Collins rather then Young , Collins isn't going to scramble and wear those big tackles out , I predict a low scoring defensive dominated game ( a big reach I know ) , but Vikes win 13 - 9

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

Agreed, it will be a very low scoring game and there defense has looked like an even more impressive version of ours. BUT they have also went against some sorry teams, Bengals couldn't do anything, and Texans have not looked good thus far.
    It'll be an interesting game and i'm assuming, very low scoring.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It could go either way. This is a team we should beat and hopefully some of the momentum carries through.

My game plan would be to go to the pass early again and also a few screens to negate the rush and then when the defense softens, let AD run, run, run in the second half.

I would also like to see them pitch the ball to CT and take the ball outside the tackles in the first half to get the interior line running laterally as this will wear them down in the 4th quarter and make it easier to move them as we pound it inside late in the game for big yards.

huxx is offline Pro-Bowler

A win in this one would turn on some truly positive momentum.
    They're a good team and to beat them on the road would be a huge boost for us.

Collins could be a threat to go deep, but I'm seeing that Tyrell Johnson's getting better every game, so he'll be our counter-punch.
    Is there any talk of Young coming back?
    I'd almost rather play against him b/c we could really contain him and he's not as much of a deep threat from what I've seen.

Their backs are different than any ones that we've seen so far.
    Our front seven will turn it up and crush them.

Our offence will definitely have to produce a lot of sustained drives so that our D can stay fresh.
    The way we controlled the ball today in the second half is a sign of good things to come.

"Yfz01" wrote:
    Agreed, it will be a very low scoring game and there defense has looked like an even more impressive version of ours. BUT they have also went against some sorry teams, Bengals couldn't do anything, and Texans have not looked good thus far.
    It'll be an interesting game and i'm assuming, very low scoring.
    I agree with the low scoring game prediction, except if turnovers become a huge factor.
    I would not be surprised at all to see multiple defensive/special-teams TDs in this game by either or both teams, which could decide it one way or another.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that the teams they've played have been sorry.
    The Jaguars just beat the Colts today, and the Bengals hung with the Giants into OT.
    Palmer, who had a very good game today, struggled against these guys to the tune of 134 yards and 2 INTs.
    Yeah, he did poorly in week 1 too, but that was against the Ravens.

And most importantly, no matter how good or bad the opponents have been, their defense has shut them down.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Definitely not an easy game!!
    We'll be lucky to come out of TEN with a win!
    They look a lot like us...tough D, good running game, questionable WRs and passing game in general.
    Hopefully our boys can build on the confidence gained with this weeks win and gametime together, and look even better next week!!

We'll need another solid performance from the Defense and enough firstdowns to keep the D fresh late!!
    And, look out for Chris Johnson...the kids got ridiculous speed!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

I'm ridiculously excited for this game. With these two powerful defenses going up against two inept offenses, the final score could be 4-2.

I love it.

In all seriousness, I think whichever defense holds the other offense to less than 10 points wins (now watch the final score be something like 48-40).

We're also going to need AD healthy and ready to have monster day. Gus is going to be treated like livestock with as much turf as he'll be munching (and for the record--to keep the QB discussion out--I think Tarvaris would be on the ground just as often). So a strong running game will be huge.

Albert Haynesworth scares the shit out of me and eats babies. Birk, Hutch, and Herrera will have their work cut out for them.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

I believe you will see improvement on both sides of the ball.
    The more the O plays with Gus, the better the rhythm and production.
    The D is good, but the pass rush is getting better each game.
    Allen seemed to have problems with the Panther OT, but as the game progressed he either found the OT's weakness, or the fat tub of lard couldn't physically keep up with him.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast