Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: E.J. Jobbed Out Of Comeback Player Of The Year

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089894
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089259
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089256
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1089230
    It doesn't matter why Vick was out of the league. Fact is he was incarcerated, and no one thought he would play again, much less have a MVP caliber season. Vick deserved it. But Henderson or Mike Williams are second
    It most certainly does matter why he was out. Being in jail for committing a felony shouldn't qualify you to be a "Come back player of the year" under those circumstances.
    Your opinion. I disagree.
    Using your logic, Plaxico Buress would be eligible when he gets out.
    If Burress came back, put up huge yards and impressive TD numbers while leading his team to the playoffs, something nobody thought he'd do. Then yes, he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation.

If committing a crime & being suspended from football because of it qualifies you to be eligible for CPOY, then Big Ben should have been in the running. After all, he took his team to the SB after overcoming the adversity of being suspended for the first for games. Right?
    Possibly. However, how I see it, Comeback player is usually someone who is in a drought, a backup, or injured, then has an incredible season again. Hell, Pennington won the award twice after crap seasons. Last season, Vick was a backup, this season, he "came back", had a very good season, his best ever and led the Eagles to the postseason.
    We all know why Vick was a backup last year & it had absolutely nothing to do with his performance the year he played in the NFL prior to that.
    We do? Please- Spell it out in case someone missed the memo...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089933
    It doesn't matter why Vick was out of the league. Fact is he was incarcerated, and no one thought he would play again, much less have a MVP caliber season. Vick deserved it. But Henderson or Mike Williams are second
    It most certainly does matter why he was out. Being in jail for committing a felony shouldn't qualify you to be a "Come back player of the year" under those circumstances.
    If Burress came back, put up huge yards and impressive TD numbers while leading his team to the playoffs, something nobody thought he'd do. Then yes, he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation.

If committing a crime & being suspended from football because of it qualifies you to be eligible for CPOY, then Big Ben should have been in the running. After all, he took his team to the SB after overcoming the adversity of being suspended for the first for games. Right?
    Possibly. However, how I see it, Comeback player is usually someone who is in a drought, a backup, or injured, then has an incredible season again. Hell, Pennington won the award twice after crap seasons. Last season, Vick was a backup, this season, he "came back", had a very good season, his best ever and led the Eagles to the postseason.
    We all know why Vick was a backup last year & it had absolutely nothing to do with his performance the year he played in the NFL prior to that.
    Hello! Because he was picked up by a team that already had a starting QB. It was a few weeks before the start of the season. He was fresh out of federal prison/home confinement after serving two years for a feloneous crime. No one knew how well he would play, let alone being on a new team, with a different players to get acclimated to & learning the offense & the playbook.

Did you really think they'd crown him starter the minute he walked into camp?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

The criteria is simply this:

The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance.
    I would say going to prison falls under "overcoming adversity".

And while I don't applaud giving the award to felons, I can't deny that under the current guidelines, Vick was a logical choice.

Caine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1090191

Hello! Because he was picked up by a team that already had a starting QB. It was a few weeks before the start of the season. He was fresh out of federal prison/home confinement after serving two years for a feloneous crime. No one knew how well he would play, let alone being on a new team, with a different players to get acclimated to & learning the offense & the playbook.

So how exactly does what you just posted not qualify him for the award. He paid his price to society and the league brought him back in as a full member. That means they have put the past behind and cleaned his slate.

He was brought onto the Eagles because they felt they could work with him. Then McNabb left and he was moved up to the #2 QB. An injury to the starter gave him an opportunity to start and when he got in there he played at a pro bowl level and took the starting job away from the other QB.

If that isn't a come back then I am not sure what is.

I have dogs, I hate what he did to his dogs, but any person can change and if he did then i am willing to say that while it pisses me off that he did what he did, unless he goes back to doing it again I will consider him a better man for what he has learned.

There is now way that you can say EJ had a bigger impact on our team than Vick had on theirs and us having a 6-10 record really doesn't help the debate at all.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090205

So how exactly does what you just posted not qualify him for the award. He paid his price to society and the league brought him back in as a full member. That means they have put the past behind and cleaned his slate.

He was brought onto the Eagles because they felt they could work with him. Then McNabb left and he was moved up to the #2 QB. An injury to the starter gave him an opportunity to start and when he got in there he played at a pro bowl level and took the starting job away from the other QB.

I have dogs, I hate what he did to his dogs, but any person can change and if he did then i am willing to say that while it pisses me off that he did what he did, unless he goes back to doing it again I will consider him a better man for what he has learned.

There is now way that you can say EJ had a bigger impact on our team than Vick had on theirs and us having a 6-10 record really doesn't help the debate at all.
    You don't have to always comeback bigger & better than before to win that award. Just making it back to be able to play football at a level you once played at, after a devastating injury that potentially could have been career ending is a remarkable comeback in of itself.

EJ fractured his femur, requiring surgery. The injury was described as one of the worst of 2009 & the type that could end a players career.

Vick came back from jail.

Do you think if Vick never had the felony charges against him, never did any jail time & had a season like he did last year, but was still playing for the Falcons in what would have been his 2007 season there, that he would have earned & been given the award?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1090351
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090205

You don't have to always comeback bigger & better than before to win that award. Just making it back to be able to play football at a level you once played at, after a devastating injury that potentially could have been career ending is a remarkable comeback in of itself.

EJ fractured his femur, requiring surgery. The injury was described as one of the worst of 2009 & the type that could end a players career.

Vick came back from jail.

Do you think if Vick never had the felony charges against him, never did any jail time & had a season like he did last year, but was still playing for the Falcons in what would have been his 2007 season there, that he would have earned & been given the award?
    I would say this:

If they had both broken their femurs and had surgery, that by comparing their performance and the success that performance brought to the team that I would give the award to Vick.

Other than that you really have to do better than your example because you gave nothing in there that would lead to him needing to come back from anything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123