Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

E.J. Jobbed Out Of Comeback Player Of The Year

E.J. Henderson Officially Jobbed Out Of Comeback Player Of The Year Award

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/2/5/1977441/e-j-henderson-officially-jobbed-out-of-comeback-player-of-the-year

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: E.J. Jobbed Out Of Comeback Player Of The Year

The point he makes about the award should go to someone who recovered from something out of their control is kind of where I'm at with my take on this award.

Mike Vick and Mike Williams were out of the NFL for their own actions. Vick, everyone knows went to prison for his involvement with the dog fighting operation. Mike Williams ate himself out of the NFL.

Prior to this year, without doing any hard research, it looks like the winner of the AP went to guys who came back from injury every year. Excluding Greg Ellis in 2007, who simply underperformed for a few years and then had a big year. Brady, McGahee, Pennington twice, Tedy Bruschi... guys who came back from real injuries(or worse in Bruschi's case.)

Michael Vick not only created the circumstances he was forced to come back from, but it took him two seasons to come back.

E.J. Henderson coming back from a broken femur is no less amazing than any other injury that a previous winner of the award returned from, Bruschi excluded.

I wouldn't have much of a problem with the award if it went to Welker or Urlacher. I still wouldn't like it, but it would be better than Vick getting it.

Anyone else see that LeGarrette Blount got a vote? He's a rookie. I didn't think they considered your college career for comeback player of the year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Just another reason to dislike all the "Individual" awards. No matter who gets in/wins, someone isn't gonna like it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think people are overreacting a tad bit.

There is no rule that says you can't be coming back from jail and win the award. Vick had an exceptional season, better than EJ did. Yes, he came back from jail, but he's aparantly a different person now. He's convinced Dungy that he's changed, and Dungy seems like a good judge of character.

Thing is, EJ played well, but not exceptional. Yes, coming back from that injury is incredible, as many people thought his career might be done. Vick just simply played better. He "Came Back" from adversity and won. Simple as that. Just because he's not a Viking doesn't make it wrong.

Did EJ deserve to be in the running for the award? Yes. Is it wrong he didn't win it? No.

delviking is offline Starter

EJ deserved it out right, there was plenty of talk about him never playing in the NFL again.
    The training staff had to research how to rehab the injury and they couldnt find one player in the NFL, College, CFL, or any other football leagues that had ever had this injury and returned from it, much less in only 8 months.
    As much as the training staff setting a presedent (sorry for the spelling) it was Henderson who put in the time, effort, and mental strength to stay in Minn and rehab beyond what the doctors and staff thought possible.
    He had a great year 2nd behind Greenway in tackles and tied with AJ Hawk with 3 INTs which lead all linebackers.
    He deserved the Comeback player award hands down, not just because he had a good year after injury but because he came back from an injury that most pegged a career ending injury.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I think Mike Williams deserved it.

V1K1NG L3G3ND is offline Training Camp

EJ should have won, this is bullcrap.

http://min.scout.com/2/1046221.html
    None

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

In my opinion the award is more of a "most improved" award. In that sense EJ can't win because he was just as good or nearly as good in 2009.

Vick is the clear winner in my mind. 18 months ago it was questionable wheather any team would take a chance on him. Now he is the face of a franchise.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1089062
    I think Mike Williams deserved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1089066
    In my opinion the award is more of a "most improved" award. In that sense EJ can't win because he was just as good or nearly as good in 2009.

Vick is the clear winner in my mind. 18 months ago it was questionable wheather any team would take a chance on him. Now he is the face of a franchise.
    Both of you are right IMO

Mike Williams had a great year, after being a bum for the past 5.

Howver, for JMC, the award isn't called the "most improved player award" it's comeback player of the year award. Vick had a hell of a season, there's no doubt he deserves recognition for his achievements. he suffered through adversity but he overcame, and became one hell of a QB.

IMO, Comeback player award was an easy award. It's Vick. no doubt. There's nobody who even comes close

For some reason this society admires comeback criminals more than comeback upstanding citizens. Why?
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast