Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

E.J. Henderson excelling, teaching

Posted on Tue, Aug. 08, 2006

[size=18px]Henderson excelling, teaching[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — Chad Greenway does not hesitate in announcing which defender has stood out thus far at training camp.

"E.J. Henderson," Greenway said. "He's had a good camp. Ask the coaches. He probably has had the best camp of anybody on our defense so far, and that's just the way it is."

The Vikings didn't want to thrust Greenway into a starting role, and the rookie linebacker has not put pressure on himself to start. But veterans have praised fellow linebacker Henderson's play, and he has been one of the most consistent playmakers.

"I think I've had a good opening to camp," Henderson said. "But it's still early, and I've still got to do it in the preseason games.

"But as a whole, (the linebackers are) having a good camp."

Although this is his third season in the NFL and second as a starter, Henderson said he isn't bothered by the questions about his ability to handle a starting spot.

"I'm not a Pro Bowl linebacker, and I haven't been dominating. So I've got to come in and earn my spot," Henderson said. "So, ain't nothing wrong with earning what you deserve."

But Greenway, the Vikings' top pick in April's NFL draft, has appreciated Henderson's willingness to help him, in spite of their competitive situation.

"E.J. is not a selfish guy, and he's out there trying to help me as much as possible," Greenway said. "I'm just trying to get better every day. If I do that, then I'll be in a position to help this team, and that's really all I'm looking to do. I don't want to force anything, and I don't want to take a job that's not mine."

Besides, Henderson has something he doesn't, Greenway said. "Experience."

Henderson said he has no reservations about helping Greenway because of the veteran leadership he benefited from as a rookie in 2003.

"I had older guys show me the ropes," Henderson said. "I'm an older vet, so it's my job to help him out."

Tank down: The Vikings placed veteran safety Tank Williams on the injured reserve Monday, officially ending his 2006 season. Williams, who suffered a broken kneecap Saturday, was replaced on the roster by defensive back Ahmad Treaudo, who spent the 2005 season on the Atlanta Falcons' practice squad.

Treaudo was one of five defensive backs to try out Monday morning.

Meanwhile, cornerback Dovonte Edwards did not participate in the afternoon practice. He reportedly has a strained left groin.

Running back Chester Taylor participated in part of the morning practice and all of the afternoon session, but he still is slowed by a muscle strain.

Briefly: Veteran Mike Rosenthal worked at left tackle Monday.

"We're swinging guys around, trying to find out where everybody's going to fit in, what their skill sets are," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "Can a right tackle swing over to left? Can a left guard play right guard? Can a center play guard? All that kind of stuff."

• Fullback Richard Owens did some work at his former position, tight end.

• Running back Ciatrick Fason got some looks with the first-string offense, with Taylor resting on the sidelines during the morning practice.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Henderson excelling, teaching

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: E.J. Henderson excelling, teaching

""I'm not a Pro Bowl linebacker, and I haven't been dominating. So I've got to come in and earn my spot," Henderson said. "So, ain't nothing wrong with earning what you deserve."

I love that quote. Shows a real quality character.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It's great to see EJ is having a good camp. I just hope it lasts for the rest of the season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

I have always liked EJ and could never figure out why he hasnt produced more in the D, maybe this will be his break out year

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

It feels good to read stories like this one, i've gone far doing my best to defend EJ. I think he's gonna make a great LB, hopefully he does so well we re-sign him after this season. Hopefully the things he's doin well in camp convert over to the field, i'm confident he'll get the job done.

I agree Wiggles this will be his break out year, SOMETIMES it takes more than one year or two years for a LB to start producing, its a tuff position. IMO this is the year for EJ to prove he's a beast.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

I agree with Wiggles, he was a standout playmaker at Maryland, it's always been a mystery as to why he hasn't done much more than he has, hopefully this is his year to break out.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

To years ago when he started at MLB he looked really lost out there at times. I remember more than a few times when he looked like he didn't know if he where to go forward, or drop back in coverage, which resultet in him loosing a step or two, and being burned on the play.

Last year he had a really good performance when he moved over to WLB, and I think he really benefitted from getting to do what he do best, tackling.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    I agree with Wiggles, he was a standout playmaker at Maryland, it's always been a mystery as to why he hasn't done much more than he has, hopefully this is his year to break out.
    Well for one thing, it hasn't been all that bad, his first season he shined at times. Second season was a disaster, not only for him but for the whole defense. He was running around with a floppy knee, very painful injury that can alter your mental alertness on the field. He still lead the team in tackles. Most players would not play with that injury.

Last year he was our best IMO, he looked healthy, strong and fast. His awarness was up too. The guys we have on defense will give him a huge boost in confidence and now he's a veteran teaching other guys.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Our linebackers will be-

ROLB- Chad Greenway
    MLB- Napoleon Harris
    LOLB- EJ henderson.

To me that is a really young and good linebacking core. If EJ is improving like he says he is, Napo goes out and plays a leadership role proving that it was the coaching last year, and Chad becomes the rookie phenom we hoped for on draft day then we are set. Of course those are all big ifs. We'll start to see how good they really are during preseason and the regular season.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Our linebackers will be-

ROLB- Chad Greenway
    MLB- Napoleon Harris
    LOLB- EJ henderson.
    Don't count on it. Leber will start on the strong side.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast