Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Dwight Smith agrees to 3 year deal with Vikes!

I really hope that D.s doesn't get irked by this move. Though i do agree that in the tampa 2 system the FS and the SS have not the normal roles so we'll have to see what happens here.. other then that.. i luv the depth that we have brought into this Defence!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/574434.html

Smith, 27, will compete with free-agent acquisition Tank Williams for a starting safety spot. Smith almost certainly will have the edge on Williams because of his familiarity with the Tampa-2 scheme that Tomlin is installing. If Smith starts, Darren Sharper likely would be moved to strong safety. Smith also can play cornerback and could be used in that role in the nickel defense.

I wonder how DSharp at SS is gonna work out?I'm thinking that even tho we're hearing Sharper at SS, he will still play FS in a way. The cover 2 uses both of its safties like Free Safties.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Another article on the Dwight Smith signing;

[size=18px]Vikings bolster secondary with Dwight Smith[/size]

Sports Ticker
    7/25/2006 8:35:22 PM

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minnesota (Ticker) - Less than a week before the start of training camp, the Minnesota Vikings made a move to bolster their secondary.

The Vikings on Tuesday agreed to terms with free safety Dwight Smith.

Terms were not disclosed, but ESPN.com reported Smith's deal is for three years and worth $6.5 million.

Smith, 27, found a new team just four days after being released by the New Orleans Saints. He registered 86 tackles, one sack and two interceptions in 15 games last season.

In Minnesota, Smith will form a solid 1-2 punch with Pro Bowl strong safety Darren Sharper.

"There's no such thing as having too many good players," Vikings first-year coach Brad Childress said. "We're glad to add a player of Dwight's quality to our defense."

Smith also will be reuniting with Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, who was his secondary coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for four seasons.

In 78 career games, Smith has recorded 309 tackles and 14 interceptions. He returned two interceptions for touchdowns in Tampa Bay's victory over Oakland in Super Bowl XXXVII.

Veterans report to training camp for the Vikings on Sunday.

Vikings bolster secondary with Dwight Smith

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

I'm not overly concerned about who will sit and who will be let go. The deal for Smith is pretty light on the pay scale this year. In 2007 he has some potential to hit bigger money.

There is no reason we can't hold onto a lot of our secondary people. They will just play on special teams. Look for us to not carry over 6 TE's lol. Fox, Blue, Offord..........they could easily find themselves playing special teams and to be honest that isn't a bad thing.

[size=18px]Smith the final piece to Vikings puzzle[/size]

By Eric Krupka on July 26, 2006 12:29 AM
    realfootball365.com

It's been a long time since I could say this, and truly believe it. Here goes...opposing quarterbacks should be very afraid of the Minnesota Vikings ' defense. For many, it feels like an eternity since the defense could put pressure on the oppositions' offense, rather than its own, to score points.

After boasting one of the worst pass coverage units for years, slowly but surely the organization has brought in the personnel needed to revamp a once porous defensive backfield. It started two years ago, when the team made a last-second move to essentially steal free agent cornerback Antoine Winfield from underneath the New York Jets ' nose. Prior to last season, the Vikings added Pro Bowl-caliber cornerback Fred Smoot and Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper to the mix. Then this offseason, they continued to put the pieces together, signing free agent safety Tank Williams to a one-year contract, and drafting cornerback Cedric Griffin in the second round.

If all that wasn't enough, on Tuesday, the Vikings added another impact player to their already deep secondary, agreeing to a three-year, $6.5 million contract with free safety Dwight Smith. Defensive coordinator Mike Tomilin and vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman view their newest addition as the final piece to a puzzle, which is an outstanding defensive backfield.

Widely regarded as a standout safety, Smith was released by the New Orleans Saints last Thursday in their quest to turnover the defensive roster. To be fair to the Saints, they did try and trade the 27-year-old before releasing him, but couldn't find any deals to their liking. Smith didn't fit the defensive scheme in New Orleans, but he's hoping to experience a career rebound in Minneapolis now that he's back in the "Tampa 2."

The Saints' loss is certainly the Vikings big coup. By joining the Vikings, the Akron product will be reunited with his former secondary coach of four seasons from Tampa Bay in Tomlin. Smith was a third-round pick in 2001, and developed nicely under his new coordinators tutelage. He is an excellent defender against both the run and pass, and has elite cover skills.

The safety tandem of Smith and Sharper is arguably the best in the NFL, and certainly gives the division-rival Chicago Bears ' duo of Mike Brown and Nathan Vasher a run for their money.

On paper, the Vikings' secondary looks to be second to none. Of course, being a paper champion and a real champion is another story, but I think it's safe to say the play on the field this season should prove that the team's secondary is elite, with Smith completing the puzzle.

-Eric Krupka can be reached at [email protected]

Smith the final piece to Vikings puzzle

Prophet Guest

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL
    Vikings | Smith reunited with Tomlin
    Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:19:32 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Minnesota Vikings FS Dwight Smith is expected to start at free safety with the Vikings. He is reunited with Mike Tomlin, the Vikings' defensive coordinator, who was Smith's secondary coach for four years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Vikings | Sharper likely to start at strong safety
    Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:18:58 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Minnesota Vikings FS Darren Sharper is likely to move to strong safety with the addition of FS Dwight Smith.

Vikings | Smith reaches three-year deal
    Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:18:21 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Minnesota Vikings have reached a three-year, $6.5 million deal with free agent FS Dwight Smith (Saints). He didn't receive a signing bonus as part of the contract, but he will be paid the $1.2 million he was scheduled to earn with the New Orleans Saints. Smith will receive a $615,000 roster bonus and $585,000 base salary. In 2007, he'll receive a $100,000 workout bonus, a $500,000 roster bonus and a $1.6 million base salary. In 2008, he'll have a $2.5 million base salary, $100,000 workout bonus and $500,000 roster bonus.

Vikings | T. Williams to reserve role
    Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:20:34 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Minnesota Vikings SS Tank Williams will play in a reserve role with the addition FS Dwight Smith, as FS Darren Sharper is expected to move to strong safety, where Williams was going to compete for a starting job.
    Hey.. I didn't agree to all this. :shock: I'm not as happy about this move any more. Sharper at SS? He made the pro bowl at FS last year... what is childress thinking?

Well... he knows more than we do so I respect his judgement. I just hope this works out.
    I'm happy about the signing, but Sharper's move to SS befuddles me.
    You have to remember that Pastabelly is the person saying Sharper is likely to move. He has little to no credibility.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Uhmm, I have a feeling putting Sharper at SS will prove disastrous, he's a ball hawk why mess with that... I thought the Sharper/Tank Williams tandem would have been very solid.

I don't see Sharper being very productive at SS, and being up at the line isn't going to help a man at his age, he is getting some mileage on him, really not agreeing with that at all.

Though I think this is a great pickup, he will be a great addition in depth, I agree though we should use him as a Nickel or Dime back, maybe when Sharper hangs it up he will fill the FS spot.

Del Rio Guest

The best thing about Tank Williams is his name is Tank.

If we can have Dwight at saftey it would be way better for the team then having Williams there.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast