Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: Dungy: Jackson in mold of McNabb

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think we'll no more in the future, what I know right now is that Tarvaris Jackson was brought in as a very raw talent. I think he's had 2 years in this leauge with 15 starts to his name, it usually takes 4-5 years to fully develop and with the case of Tarvaris thats what its gonna take. Tom Brady and other QB's who fire off the line are rare.

Whats most important in my evaluation of Tarvaris is progress and so far I think this has been accomplished. If Tarvaris is still wildly inconsitent over the next 2 years it will have been proven that he is uncapable of being a consistent NFL QB. One thing I know for sure is the guy has a work ethic and a poised deminor. I think this gives him a chance to be really sucessful in this league with the talent he has.

On the other hand I fully agree with Coach Dungy's assessment of Tarvaris being a improved player from last year and one that is difficult to defend. Give him some more experience along with the ability to grow with his weapons and our offense has the opportunity to be very good.

I think its still premature to make any Rash decisions with Tarvaris at this point, not the mention he's the best Quarterback on our roster.
    So your willing to gamble 2 more years on the TJ experiment?
    TJ doesn't have to be great, he just needs to keep the D honest by making plays.
    Until he does that then he should be on the hot seat.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    [quote]
    "VikingsTw]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

That excuse was valid 3 years ago, when he was just starting out.
    It no longer holds water.
    He can either play or he can't.

"VikingsTw]I" wrote:
    [quote]

Wow, every time a Tarvaris Jackson Apologist posts, the time span it takes to develop a QB gets longer.
    In another couple seasons you'll be telling me it takes 8-12 years to fully develop an NFL QB.
    You have the luxury of time to develop if you are not the starter.
    When you ARE the starter, you have to produce, and the time span you have to produce is about 2 years.
    After that, they start drafting replacement players who can possibly produce (Booty).

"VikingsTw]Tom" wrote:
    [quote]

Tom Brady is rare talent, sure, but guys who can produce aren't as rare as you imply.
    There are QB's out there with the ability to complete passes...Tarvaris just hasn't consistantly been one of them.

"VikingsTw]Whats" wrote:
    [quote]

Whereas I believe that he hasn't.
    I didn't see much difference between last seasons play and the first game this season.
    To be FAIR, I will wait another 3 games before making a determination, but Tarvaris didn't impress me at all versus Green Bay.
    The guy completed less than 50% of his passes and had a QB rating of 59!!!!!!
    That's progress?
    Not in my book.

"VikingsTw]If" wrote:
    [quote]

If Tarvaris is wildly inconsistant?
    How about is "simply inconsistant"?
    And 2 years?
    How about "this season"?

The clock is ticking on Jackson, and if he's going to make good it HAS to be soon.

"VikingsTw]One" wrote:
    [quote]

Well, it gives him a better chance than a guy who is grumpy, lazy, and fidgity, but in the end he has to PRODUCE.
    Talent doesn't mean squat if you can't get the job done, and Tarvaris has never shown that he can.

"VikingsTw]On" wrote:
    [quote]

Again, I do not agree with Dungy....but then I think Dungy was just blowing Politically Correct smoke to give the media an answer.
    If Jackson was all that difficult to defend, don't you think someone would have had some difficulty with him by now?
    No one has.
    Not one single team has respected the passing game while he's been the starter.
    Do you think Indy will be the first?
    I don't.
    Not unless Jackson turns the corner and MAKES them.

"VikingsTw]I" wrote:

No rash decisions....but that goes both ways.
    Both pro and con opinions are premature at this point.
    Although the Con opinions currently have more validity due to his past performance levels.
    But, that being said, I'm waiting a few more weeks.

As for him being the best QB on our roster....I wouldn't go that far just yet either.

Caine
    3 Years ago Tarvaris Jackson was beginning his Senior Season as the Quarterback for Alabama Sate. Two years ago Tarvaris began his carear as a Vikings QB. Everybody and there brother new the type of raw talent he had, after 15 starts we still have fans that expect more than they should. By the way the Kid can play and we havn't even seen the rest of the season.

I picked up the 4-5 year phylosophy from Coach Childress, there will be no extending these numbers and even though Tarvaris isn't to his 4th year I expect better things in his third. I think its unfair to say Tarvaris HAS to develop faster, infact he's A kid that shouldn't have even taken snaps, he more than Aaron Rodgers needed the time on the bench, decisions from guys like Culpepper and inept play from Brad Johnson began the Jackson era quicker than anticipated. One thing he did do was show enough in terms of the playbook to be ready.

I think alot of things on this team have been inconsistent wether we're talking Specail Teams, Offensive Line play, WR play, Coaching, this pretty much goes for the team as a whole. Infact if we could have just remained consitent Monday we would have won. Self Destructing on two plays can have a massive impact on a outcome leading to Tarvaris Bashing all week long.

I'm a little surprised you've aloud the numbers to tell you the story, evertime I go back and watch the first game I come out with the conclusion that he porgressed, esspecailly in terms of pocket presence and using the pocket when available. I won't argue to much here as I know your mind is made up.

This season plays an important role in wether he remains the starter but I also consider it wise to let more than 6% of the season to pass before making a decision. 3 games will certainly give us more to gauge where Tarvaris is at and if we play like we're suposed to they will be W's in the win colum.

I can agree Tarvaris has not shown he's gonna bring us from behind to win games in the last seconds. The important thing for Tarvaris will be the rest of the season to prove himself to fans like yourself. Production is very important and he knows it and I expect it.

Tarvaris is hard to defend no matter what you say, we had a packer fan on here frustrated because he was able to scramble with great success, how can it be easy to defend a guy that has a nice arm and mobilty to kill you on the ground? How man sacks has he evaded because of his great athleticism. Tuff to defend and once he becomes a more consistent passer its gonna get even harder.

Keep in mind its hard to get anyone to respect your Passing game when you dont' have adequate weapons, lets give Jackson some more time before determining wether we are a threat or not. It will only be a matter of time before Jackson is hitting Berrian, Rice or Allison.

Jackson is the best QB on our Roster at this very time, he might not be the most experienced one but certainly the one that gives us the best chance to win football games. Booty and Gus are standing ducks in our Pocket, personally I don't think either of them give us the best chance to win on Sundays. If we were able to create the type of QB protection the Cowboys afford Tony Romo a guy like Gus or Booty could have a field day but who's to say Tarvaris couldn't either. We won't know untill the Oline plays as consitent as the Checks are being signed.

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    [quote]
    "Caine" wrote:
    [quote]
    "VikingsTw]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

That excuse was valid 3 years ago, when he was just starting out.
    It no longer holds water.
    He can either play or he can't.

"VikingsTw]I" wrote:
    [quote]

Wow, every time a Tarvaris Jackson Apologist posts, the time span it takes to develop a QB gets longer.
    In another couple seasons you'll be telling me it takes 8-12 years to fully develop an NFL QB.
    You have the luxury of time to develop if you are not the starter.
    When you ARE the starter, you have to produce, and the time span you have to produce is about 2 years.
    After that, they start drafting replacement players who can possibly produce (Booty).

"VikingsTw]Tom" wrote:
    [quote]

Tom Brady is rare talent, sure, but guys who can produce aren't as rare as you imply.
    There are QB's out there with the ability to complete passes...Tarvaris just hasn't consistantly been one of them.

"VikingsTw]Whats" wrote:
    [quote]

Whereas I believe that he hasn't.
    I didn't see much difference between last seasons play and the first game this season.
    To be FAIR, I will wait another 3 games before making a determination, but Tarvaris didn't impress me at all versus Green Bay.
    The guy completed less than 50% of his passes and had a QB rating of 59!!!!!!
    That's progress?
    Not in my book.

"VikingsTw]If" wrote:
    [quote]

If Tarvaris is wildly inconsistant?
    How about is "simply inconsistant"?
    And 2 years?
    How about "this season"?

The clock is ticking on Jackson, and if he's going to make good it HAS to be soon.

"VikingsTw]One" wrote:
    [quote]

Well, it gives him a better chance than a guy who is grumpy, lazy, and fidgity, but in the end he has to PRODUCE.
    Talent doesn't mean squat if you can't get the job done, and Tarvaris has never shown that he can.

"VikingsTw]On" wrote:

Again, I do not agree with Dungy....but then I think Dungy was just blowing Politically Correct smoke to give the media an answer.
    If Jackson was all that difficult to defend, don't you think someone would have had some difficulty with him by now?
    No one has.
    Not one single team has respected the passing game while he's been the starter.
    Do you think Indy will be the first?
    I don't.
    Not unless Jackson turns the corner and MAKES them.

"VikingsTw]I" wrote:

No rash decisions....but that goes both ways.
    Both pro and con opinions are premature at this point.
    Although the Con opinions currently have more validity due to his past performance levels.
    But, that being said, I'm waiting a few more weeks.

As for him being the best QB on our roster....I wouldn't go that far just yet either.

Caine
    3 Years ago Tarvaris Jackson was beginning his Senior Season as the Quarterback for Alabama Sate. Two years ago Tarvaris began his carear as a Vikings QB. Everybody and there brother new the type of raw talent he had, after 15 starts we still have fans that expect more than they should. By the way the Kid can play and we havn't even seen the rest of the season.

I picked up the 4-5 year phylosophy from Coach Childress, there will be no extending these numbers and even though Tarvaris isn't to his 4th year I expect better things in his third. I think its unfair to say Tarvaris HAS to develop faster, infact he's A kid that shouldn't have even taken snaps, he more than Aaron Rodgers needed the time on the bench, decisions from guys like Culpepper and inept play from Brad Johnson began the Jackson era quicker than anticipated. One thing he did do was show enough in terms of the playbook to be ready.

I think alot of things on this team have been inconsistent wether we're talking Specail Teams, Offensive Line play, WR play, Coaching, this pretty much goes for the team as a whole. Infact if we could have just remained consitent Monday we would have won. Self Destructing on two plays can have a massive impact on a outcome leading to Tarvaris Bashing all week long.

I'm a little surprised you've aloud the numbers to tell you the story, evertime I go back and watch the first game I come out with the conclusion that he porgressed, esspecailly in terms of pocket presence and using the pocket when available. I won't argue to much here as I know your mind is made up.

This season plays an important role in wether he remains the starter but I also consider it wise to let more than 6% of the season to pass before making a decision. 3 games will certainly give us more to gauge where Tarvaris is at and if we play like we're suposed to they will be W's in the win colum.

I can agree Tarvaris has not shown he's gonna bring us from behind to win games in the last seconds. The important thing for Tarvaris will be the rest of the season to prove himself to fans like yourself. Production is very important and he knows it and I expect it.

Tarvaris is hard to defend no matter what you say, we had a packer fan on here frustrated because he was able to scramble with great success, how can it be easy to defend a guy that has a nice arm and mobilty to kill you on the ground? How man sacks has he evaded because of his great athleticism. Tuff to defend and once he becomes a more consistent passer its gonna get even harder.

Keep in mind its hard to get anyone to respect your Passing game when you dont' have adequate weapons, lets give Jackson some more time before determining wether we are a threat or not. It will only be a matter of time before Jackson is hitting Berrian, Rice or Allison.

Jackson is the best QB on our Roster at this very time, he might not be the most experienced one but certainly the one that gives us the best chance to win football games. Booty and Gus are standing ducks in our Pocket, personally I don't think either of them give us the best chance to win on Sundays. If we were able to create the type of QB protection the Cowboys afford Tony Romo a guy like Gus or Booty could have a field day but who's to say Tarvaris couldn't either. We won't know untill the Oline plays as consitent as the Checks are being signed.
    Very good assessment of the situation. A very rational point of view when looking at the whole scheme of things. I too watched the game for the third time. What I saw were some bad passes (which I think are a combination of being out for the last two pre-season games, and not having the chemistry with Rice and Berrian ). I was pretty impressed, however, how he moved the team downfield (during the adversity of having to catch up) to score twice. Those who say it was his fault we had to play catch up, kaka del toro. The team put themselves in that situation.

The interception. Let's talk about that. Can we agree with no time outs you make passes to the side lines to stop the clock? With this thinking, the pass was where it was supposed to be. Shank pulled up way short. A good QB isn't supposed to throw a teammate under the bus. So he said it was his fault, and he rushed the throw. Hell, maybe he did. If you watch the play again, watch the route Shank runs.

I also watched TJ take some huge hits standing in the pocket waiting for his receiver to get open (made the completion). The bomb that was underthrown wasn't his fault. Watch it again, he is hit head on when trying to step into the throw (O-lines fault). He did make some bad throws (every QB is gonna make them). Look at Manning "the pocket passing god" against the Bears. If you're rusty, you're rusty.

I can see how many of you are frustrated. But what did you really expect? We all knew it was a rebuilding situation from the get go. Chilly stated this. He didn't blow smoke up anyone's a**. Year three just started. We played a team that lost (by one play) to make it to the SB. Sure they lost their starting QB. Who else important? Their D is pretty much the same (I believe top five or so in the leauge). Their O is still intact with a QB who was brought up the right way. We were in the game till the last minute. The last frikin' minute.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"VikingsTw" wrote:

So tell me.... what is it going to take for you to realize TJ isn't the answer?

What is the QB rating?
    What is the # of INT's to lose games?
    What is the completion percentage?

Or is it just wins or losses?

If TJ has a below 50 QB rating, AD runs for over 200yds, and D and ST score 2 TD's and the Vikings win.
    Then it should be a TJ win?
    If TJ has a below 50 QB rating, AD runs for over 200yds, and D and ST score 2 TD's and the Vikings lose.
    Then it should be a TEAM loss?

What does it take to pull the plug?

IMO, unless TJ has a QB rating above 70 with at least a 4-4 record by week 9.
    Below 70 and a 3-5 record, I would pull the plug on the TJ experiment.
    A change in QB might still make the playoffs, like Jeff George did when RC started 2-4.

I'm not hoping any of this happens, I truly wish I am wrong about TJ, but I still think it's important to set metrics for him to keep his job.
    Without them you will have to just go by gut emotions and that is not the way to lead a successful business.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

"gagarr" wrote:

What is the QB rating?

If TJ has a below 50 QB rating, AD runs for over 200yds, and D and ST score 2 TD's and the Vikings win.
    If TJ has a below 50 QB rating, AD runs for over 200yds, and D and ST score 2 TD's and the Vikings lose.

A change in QB might still make the playoffs, like Jeff George did when RC started 2-4.

I'm not hoping any of this happens, I truly wish I am wrong about TJ, but I still think it's important to set metrics for him to keep his job.
    Without them you will have to just go by gut emotions and that is not the way to lead a successful business.
    First off I'll tell you where I stand with Tarvaris. He's still a young guy with plenty of talent but he needs the opportunity to sink up with his weapons and get the continuity thats important to have. I think that last year was a wildly inconsistent season but certainly one that was expected. I like the way he did things in the offseason and how he dealt with the Favre situation ect. In his first game this season I was happy about some things then vastly dissapointed about others. Most notably the easy 2Pt convertion to Rice thrown behind him. I think he's making quicker decisions, I think he looks far more comfortable especailly in the passing game and I think when he's accurate he's very accurate giving alot of the TE's and WR's an opportunity to make plays. Overall I can see his decision making speeding up, he knows when to move and when to run the ball. I think the season is very early and I need to see more to make any claims for complete sucess or failure.

The bottom line with Tarvaris and what we ask him to do is to play a sound game without making bad decisions. On Monday we asked him to throw it 35 times because we found ourselves in a whole and he nearly broght us back. You would hope with that experience its something he can build on and improve from and I know thats where he stands on the situation. I think as long as Tarvaris is not loosing games for us he'll be our Quarterback and "If" he starts loosing games for us I'll be as ready for him to ride pine as yourself. I want nothing more than to "Win", so there's your million dollar answer.

To add to what you said about statistics and how to gauge Tarvaris's play I will look no further than the game film itself. Like I said earlier when Tarvaris starts loosing games for us is when a change should be made. I'll also look to see how his offensive line protects him or how well his Targets play, there is so much that goes into statistics especailly with the way things have gone in our offense as of late. Tarvaris's statistics from the Monday Nights game don't tell the full story.

I think as Tarvaris grows his job description does too, it won't always be about asking Tarvaris to mangage games but he's gonna have to step up and lead us to those comeback wins. I think this is only the begining of his carear as we're yet to even see a full season of play from him. Its still so early and thats what baffles me about the Tarvaris Jackson bashing.

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

What is the QB rating?

First off I'll tell you where I stand with Tarvaris. He's still a young guy with plenty of talent but he needs the opportunity to sink up with his weapons and get the continuity thats important to have. I think that last year was a wildly inconsistent season but certainly one that was expected. I like the way he did things in the offseason and how he dealt with the Favre situation ect. In his first game this season I was happy about some things then vastly dissapointed about others. Most notably the easy 2Pt convertion to Rice thrown behind him. I think he's making quicker decisions, I think he looks far more comfortable especailly in the passing game and I think when he's accurate he's very accurate giving alot of the TE's and WR's an opportunity to make plays. Overall I can see his decision making speeding up, he knows when to move and when to run the ball. I think the season is very early and I need to see more to make any claims for complete sucess or failure.

The bottom line with Tarvaris and what we ask him to do is to play a sound game without making bad decisions. On Monday we asked him to throw it 35 times because we found ourselves in a whole and he nearly broght us back. You would hope with that experience its something he can build on and improve from and I know thats where he stands on the situation. I think as long as Tarvaris is not loosing games for us he'll be our Quarterback and "If" he starts loosing games for us I'll be as ready for him to ride pine as yourself. I want nothing more than to "Win", so there's your million dollar answer.

To add to what you said about statistics and how to gauge Tarvaris's play I will look no further than the game film itself. Like I said earlier when Tarvaris starts loosing games for us is when a change should be made. I'll also look to see how his offensive line protects him or how well his Targets play, there is so much that goes into statistics especailly with the way things have gone in our offense as of late. Tarvaris's statistics from the Monday Nights game don't tell the full story.

I think as Tarvaris grows his job description does too, it won't always be about asking Tarvaris to mangage games but he's gonna have to step up and lead us to those comeback wins. I think this is only the begining of his carear as we're yet to even see a full season of play from him. Its still so early and thats what baffles me about the Tarvaris Jackson bashing.
    Good post, about sums up most of the important points. In gagarr's defense though, he did say he's giving Tjack until week 9 to judge him, which is about 8 weeks more than what some people have given him. That's all I ask out of most people. Don't panic after the first game.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I honestly believe the ONLY place you will still find people that think Jackson is progressing is among Viking fans.
    Some of these time frames being put on how long he has to succeed are absurd.
    I understand being loyal to your team and all that hooplah but a time has to come when people come out of dream land and to the realization that this guy has advanced nowhere.

I did catch a glimpse somewhere in this thread where they said opposing players complained about how good of a scrambler Jackson is.
    All I have to say to that is it won't be hard for people to stop his scrambling when that is the only part of his game they have to defend.

I'm coming to the conclusion that he is a slower runner and worse passer than dare I say, Michael Vick.
    Oh yea, and less herpes carrying...
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I hate this kind of thing. Dungy has Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne and Harrison.
    It is like some guy on a 60-foot yacht going "I bet living in a studio apartment is not that bad". I hate this.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "nailhead77" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Jackson would be a Pro Bowler if he could just be consistent.
    Unfortunately, for every nice pass he throws there are passes that are way off.

Every qb would be a probowler if they were "consistent"
    Not really, some just can't make the throws or read a defense.
    I think T Jack is getting a lot better at reading a defense, sometime his passes are just way off, other times they're perfect.
    Thats what we don't here about, I can't wait to see some of the Williamson drops turning into Long TD bombs to Berrian. Garrett Mills and Shancoe's(controversial) drops were beautyful passess, the second Berrian slant was awesome along with a few more. What everyone wants to see is consistency and while I can't blaim them I do think its to come.
    What?
    One...maybe two plays a season?
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    I honestly believe the ONLY place you will still find people that think Jackson is progressing is among Viking fans.
    Some of these time frames being put on how long he has to succeed are absurd.
    I understand being loyal to your team and all that hooplah but a time has to come when people come out of dream land and to the realization that this guy has advanced nowhere.

I did catch a glimpse somewhere in this thread where they said opposing players complained about how good of a scrambler Jackson is.
    All I have to say to that is it won't be hard for people to stop his scrambling when that is the only part of his game they have to defend.

I'm coming to the conclusion that he is a slower runner and worse passer than dare I say, Michael Vick.
    Oh yea, and less herpes carrying...
    Your correct with your fist sentence but nobody else has really watched all the games other than Viking fans. When some say he's progressed we don't mean into a Pro Bowl QB. There is certainly things that he's doing better and things that he can get better at.

I think its fine to allow a QB 4-5 years to "fully" develop especailly in Tarvaris Jackson's case. One thing I do know is that everyone wants to see improvement this year, wether you have seen any or not is up to your observations but we're just getting started. We are garunteed another 15 games this season, Tarvaris has barely played 15 up to this point, berring injury he gets to double those numbers then we get a real clear picture.

Tarvaris being Slower than Vick is no biggy as Vick was the fastest QB to play in the history of NFL. As for the passing game I disagree. Tarvaris will be better passer because he's dedicated to his job and he doesn't whine about a difficult West Coast Offense, nor does he endure in illegal activities. This kid works and he moves foward.

We'll see if Tarvaris's running is all that teams have to defend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast