Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Dungy: Jackson in mold of McNabb

[size=16pt]Dungy: Jackson in mold of McNabb[/size]

Posted by Sean Jensen on September 10, 2008 7:47 PM

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/..._of_mcnab.html

"People play man coverage and he can get out of the pocket and move around. So he kind of dictates what you are able to do. He’s a tough guy to defend. I think he is going to be very, very good," Dungy said of Jackson. "I think he is throwing the ball much better this year than he did on last year's tapes."

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Dungy: Jackson in mold of McNabb

He is just being nice the week he is playing an opponent. If he would have said Jackson reminded him of Akili Smith there would have been all kinds of billboard material.

There is no way he is anywhere near where McNagg was at this point in his career and I am no fan of McNagg.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Jackson would be a Pro Bowler if he could just be consistent.
    Unfortunately, for every nice pass he throws there are passes that are way off.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

nailhead77 is offline Starter

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Every qb would be a probowler if they were "consistent"
    I put a sig on here before, but it expired?
    Now i have tried again but seem to be retarded.......oh well,

Floop the bears!

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

LOL....

That's great!
    So since McNabb had a 106.0 QB rating in his 2nd game of his 3rd season... we should expect that from TJ?

"I know McNabb and TJ is no McNabb"

Dungy is the antithesis of the trash talker.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

I think we'll no more in the future, what I know right now is that Tarvaris Jackson was brought in as a very raw talent. I think he's had 2 years in this leauge with 15 starts to his name, it usually takes 4-5 years to fully develop and with the case of Tarvaris thats what its gonna take. Tom Brady and other QB's who fire off the line are rare.

Whats most important in my evaluation of Tarvaris is progress and so far I think this has been accomplished. If Tarvaris is still wildly inconsitent over the next 2 years it will have been proven that he is uncapable of being a consistent NFL QB. One thing I know for sure is the guy has a work ethic and a poised deminor. I think this gives him a chance to be really sucessful in this league with the talent he has.

On the other hand I fully agree with Coach Dungy's assessment of Tarvaris being a improved player from last year and one that is difficult to defend. Give him some more experience along with the ability to grow with his weapons and our offense has the opportunity to be very good.

I think its still premature to make any Rash decisions with Tarvaris at this point, not the mention he's the best Quarterback on our roster.

vikingsblitz is offline Training Camp

I have alot of respect for Dungy and if he sees talent, then I believe it. The only thing is I wonder if the coaches are giving him a good enough game plan to work with.

IMO, we weren't doing enough 10-15 yard passes and too many deep bombs. I like taking a few chances but I would prefer seeing the chains move downfield.
    We come from the land of the ice and snow...crying Valhalla, I am coming!

Check out Vikings Blitz and feel the rush!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"nailhead77" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:

Not really, some just can't make the throws or read a defense.
    I think T Jack is getting a lot better at reading a defense, sometime his passes are just way off, other times they're perfect.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingsTw]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

That excuse was valid 3 years ago, when he was just starting out.
    It no longer holds water.
    He can either play or he can't.

"VikingsTw]I" wrote:
    [quote]

Wow, every time a Tarvaris Jackson Apologist posts, the time span it takes to develop a QB gets longer.
    In another couple seasons you'll be telling me it takes 8-12 years to fully develop an NFL QB.
    You have the luxury of time to develop if you are not the starter.
    When you ARE the starter, you have to produce, and the time span you have to produce is about 2 years.
    After that, they start drafting replacement players who can possibly produce (Booty).

"VikingsTw]Tom" wrote:
    [quote]

Tom Brady is rare talent, sure, but guys who can produce aren't as rare as you imply.
    There are QB's out there with the ability to complete passes...Tarvaris just hasn't consistantly been one of them.

"VikingsTw]Whats" wrote:
    [quote]

Whereas I believe that he hasn't.
    I didn't see much difference between last seasons play and the first game this season.
    To be FAIR, I will wait another 3 games before making a determination, but Tarvaris didn't impress me at all versus Green Bay.
    The guy completed less than 50% of his passes and had a QB rating of 59!!!!!!
    That's progress?
    Not in my book.

"VikingsTw]If" wrote:
    [quote]

If Tarvaris is wildly inconsistant?
    How about is "simply inconsistant"?
    And 2 years?
    How about "this season"?

The clock is ticking on Jackson, and if he's going to make good it HAS to be soon.

"VikingsTw]One" wrote:
    [quote]

Well, it gives him a better chance than a guy who is grumpy, lazy, and fidgity, but in the end he has to PRODUCE.
    Talent doesn't mean squat if you can't get the job done, and Tarvaris has never shown that he can.

"VikingsTw]On" wrote:

Again, I do not agree with Dungy....but then I think Dungy was just blowing Politically Correct smoke to give the media an answer.
    If Jackson was all that difficult to defend, don't you think someone would have had some difficulty with him by now?
    No one has.
    Not one single team has respected the passing game while he's been the starter.
    Do you think Indy will be the first?
    I don't.
    Not unless Jackson turns the corner and MAKES them.

[quote author=VikingsTw]I think its still premature to make any Rash decisions with Tarvaris at this point, not the mention he's the best Quarterback on our roster.
    No rash decisions....but that goes both ways.
    Both pro and con opinions are premature at this point.
    Although the Con opinions currently have more validity due to his past performance levels.
    But, that being said, I'm waiting a few more weeks.

As for him being the best QB on our roster....I wouldn't go that far just yet either.

Caine

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "nailhead77" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:

Not really, some just can't make the throws or read a defense.
    I think T Jack is getting a lot better at reading a defense, sometime his passes are just way off, other times they're perfect.
    Thats what we don't here about, I can't wait to see some of the Williamson drops turning into Long TD bombs to Berrian. Garrett Mills and Shancoe's(controversial) drops were beautyful passess, the second Berrian slant was awesome along with a few more. What everyone wants to see is consistency and while I can't blaim them I do think its to come.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast