Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Dumbbells can't handle Birk's work

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    the way Winfield wasn't there last year?
    I haven't heard you getting on his case about it, which makes me think that there's something more to it.
    LMAO! You know there's more to it. CCtheMarrdro is a hater!
    ;D ;D ;D

Well not really. But he's still pissed about those linebackers coming thru untouched in the Chicago game.

I have no problem with Birk skipping OTA's. If he was skipping training camp I would be concerned.
    Those who think he is washed up must realize he is still going to get pushed around sometimes by more physical and bigger defensive tackles. But he will hold his own most of the time. And he is still one of the best pulling and downfield blocking centers in the game.
    I expect him to continue with the Vikings beyond this year.
    Best center in the league. No. But still pretty good and likely much better as an integral part of this unit than a rookie would be.
    Now your just cracking me up my friend.

By the way, I like CCtheBests stuff.
    Don't always agree with him but he does make me re-think a stance every now and then.

;D
    I'm glad he is here as well. And he has been proven to be right more often than most want to give him credit for. He takes a lot of grief and is still here. I respect that.

My only beef with Birk was the way he played the sport hernia card way back when.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

what don't you like about it?
    the fact that he was willing to play through the injury if more of his contract was guaranteed?
    Seems like a pretty safe stance to me.
    If he reinjures, at least he has money coming in.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Nice read.
    Great to see that Birk is taking his training seriously, and not slacking like some certain other members here seem to think he is.
    If he truly is in the best shape he's ever been in, I look forward to see him dominate defensive tackles and Linebackers all day long.
    Some people think that some people are worried about what shape he is in when really some people are more worried that he wasn't there helping the youngsters the way all to the other vets were.

:P

Seriously, my beef with Matt has, and will always be, that he wasn't in camp providing the example that the young guys needed this year as well as working with TJ and the other guys when it comes to last years issues related to pre-snap read/adjustments, blocking schemes etc via film study.
    I could swear Birk was in mandatory mini-camp and will be in training camp.
    I assume you are talking about the VOLUNTARY OTAs.
    I don't think this is a problem.
    If my boss wanted me to come in on a weekend for no pay to help train a person to replace me.
    I think I would have a problem too.

Vikes FO should get their heads out of their a$$ and sign him for a few more years. The only way I would accept them not signing Matt is if they take the cash they save on him and use it to sign a top right tackle.
    Otherwise losing Matt will make a questionable OL into a unquestionably poor OL.
    Your assumption is correct.

Hey, do you think Sharper was an idiot for showing up and helping STJ?
    Isn't he the guy tagged to replace him?

As to the RT comment.
    I think you will be happy with our RT this year.

;D
    I didn't say "idiot" anywhere... I just said it's his choice to do what he wants on HIS free time and it shouldn't be held against him for doing so.
    I would consider Birk an idiot if he didn't show up to mandatory functions.

I also didn't say I'm dissatisfied with Cook, I also think I will be happy with his play, but there is alot of players out there that are better, and if Birk is let go, I would hope they would find a upgrade to the OL... either Cook or Herrera and maybe McK (given his salary vs. pass protection).
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Nice read.
    Great to see that Birk is taking his training seriously, and not slacking like some certain other members here seem to think he is.
    If he truly is in the best shape he's ever been in, I look forward to see him dominate defensive tackles and Linebackers all day long.
    Some people think that some people are worried about what shape he is in when really some people are more worried that he wasn't there helping the youngsters the way all to the other vets were.

Seriously, my beef with Matt has, and will always be, that he wasn't in camp providing the example that the young guys needed this year as well as working with TJ and the other guys when it comes to last years issues related to pre-snap read/adjustments, blocking schemes etc via film study.
    I could swear Birk was in mandatory mini-camp and will be in training camp.
    I assume you are talking about the VOLUNTARY OTAs.
    I don't think this is a problem.
    If my boss wanted me to come in on a weekend for no pay to help train a person to replace me.
    I think I would have a problem too.

Vikes FO should get their heads out of their a$$ and sign him for a few more years. The only way I would accept them not signing Matt is if they take the cash they save on him and use it to sign a top right tackle.
    Otherwise losing Matt will make a questionable OL into a unquestionably poor OL.
    Your assumption is correct.

Hey, do you think Sharper was an idiot for showing up and helping STJ?
    Isn't he the guy tagged to replace him?

As to the RT comment.
    I think you will be happy with our RT this year.
    ;D
    Who did we sign that I missed?

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni

Good read.

Birk is obviously a smart professional.
    He is using time that is his to use to get ready for the season.
    What on earth is wrong with that?
    The only possible point (IMO) is that he is not fulfilling a leadership role in the continuity and unity of the offensive line as a whole, which, could be valid.
    However, he has not missed anything that is mandatory and is getting ready for another great season...I am much more interested in what some of his teammates would have to say.

Maybe the Vikes should look into Mike Morris' training methods rather that whine about Birk (a seasoned vet and multiple time pro-bowler) being at a voluntary function.
    Seems to be working for him.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MaxVike" wrote:
    Maybe the Vikes should look into Mike Morris' training methods rather that whine about Birk (a seasoned vet and multiple time pro-bowler) being at a voluntary function.
    Seems to be working for him.
    Couple of things......

a.
    I don't hear the Vikes Whinning at all about Matt. In fact I think they have been pretty professional about it.

The only possible point (IMO) is that he is not fulfilling a leadership role in the continuity and unity of the offensive line as a whole, which, could be valid.
    b.
    That has been my beef with him the whole time.
    I never once brought his physical conditioning into any of my arguements.
    I wonder how many hours of film study he has done during the offseason with TJ to work on thier pre-snap reads?

Some pooooh poooooh that away as not necessary cause he was a "Pro-bowler" last year, but I just don't buy into it.
    He had some significant issues related to how/who he helped in the blocking scheme.
    A bit of film study would have helped IMHO.

Again, that is my beef, nothing more, nothing less.

c. Very nice point on the Morris physical training regimine.
    I'm not sure about how we stand in the league with respect to injuries to players per year, but it seems to me that we have had a few injuries.

Maybe the staff should look at replacing/updating our Strength and Conditioning staff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"Upchuck, Greek God of Projectile Vomitting..."
    Love it...
    8)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    "Upchuck, Greek God of Projectile Vomitting..."
    Love it...

8)
    as was " ejecting my morning Starbuck" ...
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123