kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Drew Brees Syndrome

As fans we have the ability to say were are never wrong. When it comes to signing players we often play the fence and get to talk when things go wrong.

Peyton Manning was available and who hear was championing for us to sign him? Had we sign him and he was doing what he is doing now, no one would talk about how bad signinng an old QB with neck issues is. Had he busted, everyone would be saying we are throwing away the future for the present.

Brees - had he been a bust, he would have been dumb signing and fans would have been mad they didnt go after Culpepper

This brings me to Freeman. Had we not signed him or tried to sign him and he went to Buffalo and played great, many of us would have questioned why we didn't take the chance with obvious talent steering us in the face. So I say drink the Koolaid and be happy that we are taking a chance to have a great QB. If he bombs... there is plenty of time to show how much of you know about the game of football and why you never would have signed him.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Brees was a wonderful surprise for the Saints, but I believe we WERE trying to sign Peyton. I know our team was at least mentioned, but Manning wanted to stay in the AFC to avoid his brother.

Evaluation of talent is one thing, but I don't think anyone is arguing about Freeman's talent; its there. But it's the 10 cent head we are worried about, and everyone one of the QBs you mentioned were proven leaders.

For me, its done, and I'm just venting the frustration I am feeling. I REALLY wanted Ponder to break out this year!!!! Now, I just don't want the team to panic and sign another long-term flop. I am not freaking out about the 1 year contract, but I'm concerned we aren't done yet.

Overall, I am now just willing to see how it all shakes out...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I will go on record as being a huge proponent of bringing in Brees and have held a grudge for the whole time that they didn't bring him in.

That being said:

Brees never had the character issues freeman does. He is responsible in large part for his first coach getting fired and he certainly has not made it easier on his second coach.

He missed the opening day bus,missed meetings, missed team pictures and that is not the kind of guy I would bring in if i wanted to build the high character team that the vikings claim they are building.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I will go on record as being a huge proponent of bringing in Brees and have held a grudge for the whole time that they didn't bring him in.

That being said:

Brees never had the character issues freeman does. He is responsible in large part for his first coach getting fired and he certainly has not made it easier on his second coach.

He missed the opening day bus,missed meetings, missed team pictures and that is not the kind of guy I would bring in if i wanted to build the high character team that the vikings claim they are building.
    My point was when things go good, we wonder why we didn't sign the guy. When things go bad and we get involved...we wonder what the hell they were thinking. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda situation.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    As fans we have the ability to say were are never wrong. When it comes to signing players we often play the fence and get to talk when things go wrong.

Peyton Manning was available and who hear was championing for us to sign him? Had we sign him and he was doing what he is doing now, no one would talk about how bad signinng an old QB with neck issues is. Had he busted, everyone would be saying we are throwing away the future for the present.

Brees - had he been a bust, he would have been dumb signing and fans would have been mad they didnt go after Culpepper

This brings me to Freeman. Had we not signed him or tried to sign him and he went to Buffalo and played great, many of us would have questioned why we didn't take the chance with obvious talent steering us in the face. So I say drink the Koolaid and be happy that we are taking a chance to have a great QB. If he bombs... there is plenty of time to show how much of you know about the game of football and why you never would have signed him.
    I've said it before, and I"ll say it again, but Brees was never a bad QB. I'm not going to dig up the stats again, but he's had 3 above average seasons. Excellent seasons by Vikings standards.

You're kidding yourself if you think he's throwing 5000 yards with us, we simply don't run the type of offense to facilitate that. He was a good player, the only reason they got rid of him, was the Chargers had Rivers waiting, so Brees became expendable. He also dislocated his throwing shoulder, so it was an uncertainty whether he'd be able to play properly again.

I think most here were a fan of bringing in Brees, but I don't think we were ever in consideration. Seems to me like it was between Miami and New Orleans.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I've said it before, and I"ll say it again, but Brees was never a bad QB. I'm not going to dig up the stats again, but he's had 3 above average seasons. Excellent seasons by Vikings standards.

You're kidding yourself if you think he's throwing 5000 yards with us, we simply don't run the type of offense to facilitate that. He was a good player, the only reason they got rid of him, was the Chargers had Rivers waiting, so Brees became expendable. He also dislocated his throwing shoulder, so it was an uncertainty whether he'd be able to play properly again.

I think most here were a fan of bringing in Brees, but I don't think we were ever in consideration. Seems to me like it was between Miami and New Orleans.
    Good point. Often us fans forget the fact that maybe the player does not want to play here, instead we blame the organization for not trying hard enough to get them here. I also Believe Brees had no intention on coming up to Minnesota to live and play, no matter how hard we tried.

Now from what I heard earlier on NFL network and ESPN that Freeman hand picked us because he felt he could start here. That is good and bad. The good being he shows interest and wants to play, the bad is that we actually need his services.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Good point. Often us fans forget the fact that maybe the player does not want to play here, instead we blame the organization for not trying hard enough to get them here. I also Believe Brees had no intention on coming up to Minnesota to live and play, no matter how hard we tried.

Now from what I heard earlier on NFL network and ESPN that Freeman hand picked us because he felt he could start here. That is good and bad. The good being he shows interest and wants to play, the bad is that we actually need his services.
    For those thinking our FO never tries hard to get stuff done, who remembers a couple years ago when we were trying our best to get LT here?

Who remembers TJ Houshmandzadeh? We were in the mindset he'd make us the best thing since sliced bread. Well, that never worked out. He flamed out in Seattle and I think he's out of the NFL now.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    For those thinking our FO never tries hard to get stuff done, who remembers a couple years ago when we were trying our best to get LT here?

Who remembers TJ Houshmandzadeh? We were in the mindset he'd make us the best thing since sliced bread. Well, that never worked out. He flamed out in Seattle and I think he's out of the NFL now.
    I'm not focusing on the why we didn't bring Brees here. I was illustrating that we have the luxury of being able to second guess every choice made. Bring a guy in and it fails.. they are idiots. Don't bring a guy in and sets the league on fire, we're stupid for not seeing his talent.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    You will NEVER make all of the fans happy.

But I will settle for "smart" moves, and cut a lot of slack if they don't work out. I will agree reluctantly that signing Freeman could be considered the "smart" move, but let's hope to God they don't decide to give the guy the same amount of time they gave Ponder.

Yes, it COULD happen.