Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream FA?

Renrut31 is offline Training Camp
    Over $40 million under the cap, after today's cuts, but it's going to be tough to get FAs to come here until we get the QB position set.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Remind me, which free agents has Spielman brought in the past couple years that have paid great dividends ?
    I think Jennings may work out, but Carlson was a bust.
    I hope Spielman continues to pursue value free agents from other teams and reserves money to resign Vikings free agents like Griffen and perhaps Cassel.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Remind me, which free agents has Spielman brought in the past couple years that have paid great dividends ?
    I think Jennings may work out, but Carlson was a bust.
    I hope Spielman continues to pursue value free agents from other teams and reserves money to resign Vikings free agents like Griffen and perhaps Cassel.
    I believe Spielman came to Minnesota in 06, so let's a look at his free agents since then that may have worked out. In 06 he bought in Hutchinson, Longwell and Leber.

In 08 he brought in Jared Allen

In 2009 he brought in Brett Favre.

If you look at just those players he was instrumental in getting the Vikings in to the 2009 NFC Championship game. Add in some border line good players like Cassel (it wasn't his fault he didn't get to start) and Berrian and he has done OK in the free agent market.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I believe Spielman came to Minnesota in 06, so let's a look at his free agents since then that may have worked out. In 06 he bought in Hutchinson, Longwell and Leber.

In 08 he brought in Jared Allen

In 2009 he brought in Brett Favre.

If you look at just those players he was instrumental in getting the Vikings in to the 2009 NFC Championship game. Add in some border line good players like Cassel (it wasn't his fault he didn't get to start) and Berrian and he has done OK in the free agent market.
    Spielman was hired in May of 2006. Leber, Hutchinson, and Longwell were already on the team.
    The front office structure in place until Childress was fired in November of 2010, was the concept shared power between Childress, Spielman, and Brzezinski, the infamous triangle of authority , with Wilf as the tie breaker. Childress had full control over the 53 man roster player acquisition was shared.
    So the Jared Allen trade, and Favre signings weren't entirely Spielmans doing.
    It is much clearer who Spielman has chosen since his promotion to GM and scrapping of the triangle of authority power structure.
    That's why I asked about the free agents brought in the past couple of years.
    It seems that Spielman doesn't see the big money free agents as a good investment, given what he has done since he has been in charge. I agree with that concept.
    I like Joseph, Verner, and others, but the only free agents I see Spielman spending much money on would likely be Everson Griffen or Johnson, and a veteran transitional QB, like Cassel. The rest will likely be value, aka. left over, free agents.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    That's why I asked about the free agents brought in the past couple of years. It seems that Spielman doesn't see the big money free agents as a good investment, given what he has done since he has been in charge. I agree with that concept.
    I
    According to Vikings.com, here are the FA's brought in over the last few years:

Draft: CB Chris Cook*, RB Toby Gerhart*, DE Everson Griffen* and WR Joe Webb*
    Free Agency / Waivers: CB Marcus Sherels#
    Draft: QB Christian Ponder, TE Kyle Rudolph, S Mistral Raymond and G Brandon Fusco
    Free Agency / Waivers: RB Matt Asiata, C Joe Berger*, LB Larry Dean#, G Charlie Johnson*and S Andrew Sendejo
    Draft: T Matt Kalil, S Harrison Smith, CB Josh Robinson, WR Jarius Wright, TE Rhett Ellison, WR Greg Childs, S Robert Blanton, K Blair Walsh and LB Audie Cole.
    Free Agency / Waivers: DT Chase Baker, TE John Carlson, FB Jerome Felton, TE Chase Ford, LB Marvin Mitchell* and WR Jerome Simpson*.
    Draft: DT Sharrif Floyd, CB Xavier Rhodes, WR Cordarrelle Patterson, LB Gerald Hodges, P Jeff Locke, G Jeff Baca and LB Michael Mauti.
    Free Agency / Waivers: RB Joe Banyard, LB Desmond Bishop*, QB Matt Cassel*, QB Josh Freeman*, WR Greg Jennings, CB Shaun Prater, T Mike Remmers, FB Zach Line, WR Rodney Smith, CB Robert Steeples, DE Justin Trattou, and T J'Marcus Webb*.
    Following the 2013 season, signed S Brandan Bishop, CB Kip Edwards, T Kevin Murphy, DE Spencer Nealy, RB Bradley Randle, & WR Adam Thielen to reserve / future free agent contracts.
    Free Agency / Waivers: G Josh Samuda, WR Kamar Jorden, DT Kheeston Randall and LB Simoni Lawrence.
    Big money spent on Jennings and Carlson. Decent money spent on Cassell, Charlie Johson, Jerome Felton and jerome Simpson. And of course Freeman's $2M for a 10 week tryout if you want to count that.

Smegma is right that Spielman does not have a track record of chasing big dollar FA's outside of Jennings and Carlson. And he's batting around .500 at the moment on this huge sample size which may make him a bit gun shy unless someone (Zimmer/Turner) pushes real hard for a particular player.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Spielman was hired in May of 2006. Leber, Hutchinson, and Longwell were already on the team.
    The front office structure in place until Childress was fired in November of 2010, was the concept shared power between Childress, Spielman, and Brzezinski, the infamous triangle of authority , with Wilf as the tie breaker. Childress had full control over the 53 man roster player acquisition was shared.
    So the Jared Allen trade, and Favre signings weren't entirely Spielmans doing.
    It is much clearer who Spielman has chosen since his promotion to GM and scrapping of the triangle of authority power structure.
    That's why I asked about the free agents brought in the past couple of years.
    It seems that Spielman doesn't see the big money free agents as a good investment, given what he has done since he has been in charge. I agree with that concept.
    I like Joseph, Verner, and others, but the only free agents I see Spielman spending much money on would likely be Everson Griffen or Johnson, and a veteran transitional QB, like Cassel. The rest will likely be value, aka. left over, free agents.
    He has missed on almost everyone of his signings.
    He's horrible.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    He's horrible.
    Exaggeration on both counts.

He isn't horrible, he just believes that big name free agents are rarely worth the money it takes to acquire them. Of the free agents he does bring in, he is about 50/50.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    He's horrible.
    Most of his signings have been low profile, low dollar signings intended for depth or role play. If your expecting to see a lot of pro bowlers come out of the trash barrel, I think your expectations are a bit high.

Carlson was a clear miss. jennings looks to be as advertised, just didn't have much of a chance to show himself. Cassell went for market value and I don't see that as a bad signing. You can argue that Frazier never gave him a chance so it was money wasted, but hard to put that on Spielman.

Felton has done well, Simpson has pretty much delivered to the salary he is getting. Berger, Johnson, Sandejo have all contributed and played to their pay level. The rest of them were low dollar special teamers and roster fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Most of his signings have been low profile, low dollar signings intended for depth or role play. If your expecting to see a lot of pro bowlers come out of the trash barrel, I think your expectations are a bit high.

Carlson was a clear miss. jennings looks to be as advertised, just didn't have much of a chance to show himself. Cassell went for market value and I don't see that as a bad signing. You can argue that Frazier never gave him a chance so it was money wasted, but hard to put that on Spielman.

Felton has done well, Simpson has pretty much delivered to the salary he is getting. Berger, Johnson, Sandejo have all contributed and played to their pay level. The rest of them were low dollar special teamers and roster fillers.
    Name one player that he has added for a low contact that has gone on to look better than expected. The point is not to sign bums and then have them play like bums. Good GMs sign quality players at low prices. Look at the SeaHawks. A roster loaded with FAs that they signed really low and still got production out of them. I am sorry but Felton's pro bowl season could have been achieved by almost any FB in the league. Jennings was a good signing that we had no choice to make. We had 0 Wrs. 0. Everyone else has done nothing. It's been so long since we have fielded a quality team you guys have forgotten what it means. He wastes millions of dollars going the quantity route instead of the quality route. Do I like big name signings? Nope, I don't think they are worth it most of the time. The key to success are the middle of the road guys that you can get for 2 years on prove it deals. He skips these guys and sign CFL players and Point Guards to play Cb... you member those?

Grading the Minnesota Vikings Free-Agent Signings so Far | Bleacher Report

Nothing but thrash... It's the reason we are averaging 6 wins a season since he took over.

"The approach seems to be: Sign as many mediocre, and basement bargain players as possible and hope that the cream rises to the top and he finds some players to improve the roster."

Outside of Felton who owes a huge part of his pro bowl season to playing with the best RB of all time, everything else has been aweful. I might give you Jerome Simpson...who has had 1 ok season and 2 bust seasons. All this crap was 1 year when we had 40 million to spend.... He gave Favre 20 million when we could have signed other players to restore our roster.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 03-07-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast