View Poll Results: Biggest need/best fit BPA at no.23?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • WR

14 66.67%
  • DT

3 14.29%
  • S

1 4.76%
  • OG

0 0%
  • MLB

2 9.52%
  • OLB

1 4.76%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Great read! i am looking forward to more articles, thanks.
    Here's one on Hopkins:

The Tape Never Lies: Clemson’s DeAndre Hopkins has quick feet, burst

Hopkins is unlikely to be be the sexiest receiver on the draft board for some because he’s probably not going to light up the Combine with blazing speed but he has quality balance, burst, quick feet and proper pad level. The combination of these traits could very well make him one of the most productive receivers in this class if or when he learns the finest points of route-running. To his credit, he’s already on the way to becoming a better route-runner than some of his comrades due to flashes of discipline and ability to move defensive backs with his upper body.
    This is a quality route by Hopkins, which could have been made even better if he would have looked back at the football while he was cutting inside. However, it worked out because of his quick cuts and route discipline. Both of these traits are very important for a receiver and much more vital to getting open in the NFL than sheer speed. They also are similar traits to the Atlanta Falcons’ Roddy White, who my Rotoworld colleague Josh Norris aptly compared Hopkins to.
    He only stands 6'-1", but has large hands and long arms:

2013 NFL Scouting Combine: Wide Receivers

I think this guy will be a solid NFL WR, but maybe doesn't have the raw measurables to warrant a 1st round pick?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Fusco needs to learn to pass block and Ponder needs to step up in the pocket and deliver or drafting a wide receiver wont help much.
    Better add Loadholt to that list since both Loadholt & Fusco gave up 4.5 sacks last year. (Loadholt also gave up 9.5 sacks in 2011)

Of course though, in 2012 Loadholt had 11 penalties to Fusco's 0.

But hey, let's pay Loadholt boat loads of money or better yet slap him with a tag.

STATS Hosted Solution | Player Stats - Phil Loadholt - Minnesota Vikings - NFL - Football

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Better add Loadholt to that list since both Loadholt & Fusco gave up 4.5 sacks last year. (Loadholt also gave up 9.5 sacks in 2011)

But hey, let's pay Loadholt boat loads of money or better yet slap him with a tag.

STATS Hosted Solution | Player Stats - Phil Loadholt - Minnesota Vikings - NFL - Football
    From an article I posted in the offseason forum (in what is now apparently dead) on an offseason plan for the Vikings:

First up is the easiest to fathom—Phil Loadholt.

Phil Loadholt might have the hardest contract to predict. He's had an up-and-down career, but ranked as the seventh-ranked right tackle by Pro Football Focus. In 2011, he was a dominant run-blocker but a very weak pass protector. The opposite was true the two years previous. An enigmatic tackle who may have finally come into his own this year in all phases of the game, he could command less than he's worth.

Free agent right tackles have had a number of deals offered to them, making Loadholt a particularly difficult puzzle to solve, but there's a good chance his cap hit for 2013 would be between Tyson Clabo's 2012 hit ($4.8 million) and Todd Herremans' hit ($3.7 million).

Clabo had an extraordinary 2011, so it is more likely that Herremans' deal will match Loadholt's. A 5-year, $28 million deal that has a $6 million dollar signing bonus with $8 million total guaranteed makes sense. The low guaranteed total is to ensure a safer deal from an inconsistent player. That should make Loadholt's cap hit $4.3 million in 2013.

Loadholt played like a very good right tackle, but still has penalty problems and cannot prove that he plays well consistently. I have given him the bottom of the high-end right tackle deals.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator

I agree. The run blocking was pretty good but the pass blocking needs improvement.
    Ponder could help by stepping up in the pocket and throwing the ball rather trying to bail out the back and run. He can avoid the ends if he steps up and delivers. But that means Johnson and Fusco need to do their job.
    I would let Loadholdt walk before I would franchise him. I hope they get him signed to a long term deal, but he's not worth huge money.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    It has to be WR or DT. Both positions appear to have depth that will go into the first two rounds and maybe beyond. Of course, you usually don't have Randy Moss types fall into your lap at #23, but really no one is talking about any of the WRs being that "special" (which is why most, if not all of them, will fall down around to where the Vikes pick). That said, I think maybe we stand the best chance of getting the biggest bang for our buck by going DT in the 1st and WR in the 2nd. Some pretty stout DTs like Hankins and Jenkins are projected to probably be there when the Vikes pick at #23, and we stand a good chance of a Hopkins/Woods/Williams type WR to be there at #54. Not sure what kind of DT we could get at #54 (the kid from Missouri Southern?), but I just suspect taking the DT at #23 is the way to go.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    From an article I posted in the offseason forum (in what is now apparently dead) on an offseason plan for the Vikings:
    I would rather lose some on run blocking to gain quite a bit on pass blocking as we need linemen who aren't 1 dimensional.

I'm also not sold on the idea that Loadholt is a great run blocker just because AD got a lot of yards running to the right side.

AD is AD & the fact that he is our RB makes it appear that where ever he runs it makes our lineman appear better blockers than they actually are.

McKInney was a good run blocker too, but we aren't relying 100% on the run. Not even 60% of the time.

Last year we had 483 pass attempts & 486 runs. The OL has to be equally as good at pass blocking as they are at run blocking & hopefully above average at both. That is where we need to be.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Holy Crappola Batman!!??!??? Can you believe this? The latest, combine updated drafttek mock has Star Lotulelei falling to pick no.23!? Check out this dream scenario (assuming he passed our doctors physicals and will play 10 years for us...)

1. Star Lotulelei, DT...best DT of draft?
    2. Robert Woods, WR...very reliable hands and route runner
    3. Jon Bostic, MLB...team leader on top SEC defense ran top 3s in 40 and 3-cone
    4a. Robert Lester, SS...another top defense player and champion from Bama
    4b. Josh Boyce, WR TCU...faster than 4.4, a deep threat to complement our reliable route runner guy! NICE!

That might be 5 starters someday! And, some CB and OLB depth, this would rock! Other than NE getting Austin and GB stealing Swope!! D'oh!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I would rather lose some on run blocking to gain quite a bit on pass blocking as we need linemen who aren't 1 dimensional.

I'm also not sold on the idea that Loadholt is a great run blocker just because AD got a lot of yards running to the right side.

AD is AD & the fact that he is our RB makes it appear that where ever he runs it makes our lineman appear better blockers than they actually are.

McKInney was a good run blocker too, but we aren't relying 100% on the run. Not even 60% of the time.

Last year we had 483 pass attempts & 486 runs. The OL has to be equally as good at pass blocking as they are at run blocking & hopefully above average at both. That is where we need to be.
    Pass blocking isn't the problem. The dud(e) passing the ball is the problem. We could draft several high draft pick OL like the Jets did and still have no passing game like they do if we don't have the right QB which they prove to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Pass blocking isn't the problem. The dud(e) passing the ball is the problem. We could draft several high draft pick OL like the Jets did and still have no passing game like they do if we don't have the right QB which they prove to be the case.
    They are both the problem & both need to be fixed. Re-signing one of them only prolongs the problem.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345