Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Drafting under Childress: Pretty good, or was it?

One thing always thrown out there is how much better we are at drafting with Chilly, than without him.

At first, that seemed plausable, but looking back now. Are we really that well off?

Lets go back:
    2006:
    1: Chad Greenway
    2: Cedric Griffin
    2: Ryan Cook
    2: Tarvaris Jackson
    4: Ray Edwards
    5: Greg Blue
    This one actually is not bad. We got a very good LB, a skilled, yet injury prone CB, a versatile backup OL, servicable backup QB(Reach though) and a good starting DE.
    Verdict: 5/6 Some good starters and role players
    2007:

1: Adrian Peterson
    2: Sidney Rice
    3: Marcus McCauley
    4: Brian Robison
    5: Aundrae Alison
    6: Rufus Alexander
    7: Tyler higpen
    7: Chandler Williams
    Verdict: Peterson is a no brainer, Rice worked out well. Other than that, McCauley, Alison, Alexander, Thigpen and Williams are off the team, Robison doesn't contribute, and only Thigpen actually plays for another team.
    Peterson really brings this draft up, for an otherwise poor draft.

2/8

2008:
    2: Tyrell Johnson
    5: John David Booty
    5: Letroy Guion
    6: John Sullivan
    6: Jaymar Johnson
    Verdict: Ummmm.. what? Tyrell Johnson is easily the best of the group, but that's not saying much. Sullivan is ok, but should be a backup on any other team with a real C. So one starter, three backups, two of which see very little field, one who doesn't even get activated.

I'll give this a generous 3/5

Too early to call on our last couple drafts, so I won't include them. However, given enough time, some p0layers we though were good at the time, turned out not to be.

Guys like Greg Blue, brian Robison, Jaymar johnson, Aundrae Allison. Well, lets just say they're not starting/in the NFL for a reason.

Our drafts so far IMO have been wildly mediocre.

The one thing I'm missing, is we have not yet hit one of those diamonds in the rough. Aside from our first round picks, we have no superstar players. Guys like Peterson and Harvin, well, we knew what we were getting. Just once can we grab a late OL with elite physical skills who turns out great. Or maybe a good RB, that we don't take early in the draft.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Drafting under Childress: Pretty good, or was it?

I agree with a lot of things you say, but I have to strongly disagree on this one, i_bleed_purple.

I'm gonna try to keep it short as I've already made a post about this before.

2006 Draft grade: A (3 good to great starters, and 2 decent backups. You can't ask for much more than that!)

2007 Draft grade: A (I like this even more than last year's draft because we got 2 exciting starters and a good backup in Brian Robison. Unfortunately, we lost a decent QB in waivers.)

2008 Draft grade: C (Okay, I admit this was not a sexy draft, but keep in mind that the Vikings didn't have much to work with. One decent starter in John Sullivan is the only thing worth mentioning. Tyrell Johnson was a major risk and has definitely disappointed. he didn't exactly have much competition for the starting job.)

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The good news is we will be getting a fairly high draft pick this year. Yee Haw :woohoo:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Since we don't have a GM, so many people influence & ultimately decide who we take in the draft including Spielman & Studwell & crew.

Childress is only a part of that team, so to solely credit him or criicize him for our picks is not accurate.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

singersp wrote:
    Since we don't have a GM, so many people influence & ultimately decide who we take in the draft including Spielman & Studwell & crew.

Childress is only a part of that team, so to solely credit him or criicize him for our picks is not accurate.
    Blame him anyway. :woohoo:

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

singersp wrote:

I never once said that childress makes the picks in this post, just simply stating that under Childress, our drafting hasn't really been as good as some would like you to believe.

There are certain members here, who feel Childress does an excellent job drafting, while at the same time, will try and convince you that Spielman is the one making personnel decisions. That is an argument for another thread. However, it still stands, our drafting outside of the first round, has not been very good IMO.

We had one pretty good draft, the 2006 draft. Other than that, our 2nd round and later picks have been lackluster I believe. All I'm sayin.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Drafting is only part of the player development. Very very few players come out of college and are ready to play at a high level. Most need good coaching and mentoring in order to improve and be productive and thats where some of the players listed have fallen down under the Childress regime.
    A good example of that is TJ. He may indeed have been a true diamond in the rough that would have gone onto to be a top calibre QB. His biggest downfall is that he was drafted to be coached by Childress who is often touted as an offensive guru, He may well have flourished under another HC with a different offensive philosophy but in Minny he hasn't looked to have moved forward much at all. from that point of view I feel sorry for TJ as he is now tarred with the Chilly connection and is unlikely to lose that whilst he is here. If he went elsewhere then he may well become that starting calibre QB seen by some.
    Likewise Rice wasn't outstanding with his first two years and only improved dramtically last year - I believe a good part of that was working with Favre and getting good feedback on routes etc and working with the QB. So that again comes back to coaching and I don't believe that is something that has been and currently is on this team.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Chad, AD and Percy are the heart and soul of this team. El Syd would be right up there if he could stay healthy.

I saw some good things out of Guion the last couple of games, and Everson chipped in a few really good reps yesterday.

Sully is playing better than as a Backup as you contend.

TJ has a winning record as a starting QB, most of which was on a team that was being rebuilt.

Cook, again, stepped in and played a decent game at RG and is developing into a pretty good swing man.

Cook and Toby are contributing with Toby getting better and better each game. Young Cook, has shown flashes, but has also shown the inconsistency that one would expect from a young CB.

Asher has, like Cook, looked good at times but looked bad just as well. I think he has played better more times than not this year.

Load has made a few mistakes this year, but that is to be expected. Its his second fricken year. I think he has the talent to move to LT next year if the team needs him to.

Jasper came in when EJ went down and looked great.

Ray has done alot better playing at LDE than I would have imagined and was tops in the league for 2 years at QB pressures.

Thigpen, Allison are still in the league and playing at a level equal to were they were drafted. Heck, Thypen is one of 2 QBs out of that draft that is even on a team right now.

Not sure about any of you, but I wouldn't say this staff has drafted anything better than great, especially when you consider how bad we sucked at it under the last regime.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

delviking is offline Starter

compared to the Drafts before Childress, then Heck yeah we have had some pretty good drafts.

Plus most take into account JA as a draft selection since we did give up picks to acquire him.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I think we have done great with the 1st and 2nd round picks but haven't had much luck deeper into the draft.

I feel last years draft was our worst because we treated the draft as if it was our free agency. We didn't go BPA but we looked to fill holes in taking Cook and Gerhart. Something that will hurt us moving forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast