Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Drafting Sam Watkins makes sense, ranking the top draft picks for the #8 pick.

Drafting Sam Watkins makes sense, ranking the top draft picks for the #8 pick. - Daily Norseman 8th pick

any thoughts? personally I feel we have more pressing needs on Defense, of course, after our QB needs.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    No, as long as we get a good QB and Norv does his thing, I think we have a solid WR crew with Patterson, Jennings, Wright, and Rudolph at TE. No need to draft a WR in the 1st when we have so many other pressing needs.

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Drafting Sam Watkins makes sense, ranking the top draft picks for the #8 pick.

Drafting Watkins make no sense wit that 8th pick we need every position on defense right now

drakkar is offline Rookie
    don't think he will be there, but this defense has to get fixed first anyways..

VikingsFan1234 is offline Starter
    Honestly, that would be a waste of a pick, we have a pretty good wide receiver corps and if the Vikings did not draft Patterson last year, I would not mind the Sam Watkins pick

The defense and quarterback should be number 1 priority
    Last edited by VikingsFan1234; 02-01-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingsFan1234 View Post
    Honestly, that would be a waste of a pick, we have a pretty good wide receiver corps and if the Vikings did not draft Patterson last year, I would not mind the Sam Watkins pick

The defense and quarterback should be number 1 priority
    Isn't that what Vikings fans said about drafting Randy Moss on a team that had Cris Carter and Jake Reed as starters.

BPA is a good long term plan.

I am not saying Watkins is the BPA, but he could be at that spot.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I would have no problem's selecting him. We do not have a a good WR corps. I hate that people have said that for years. We have a great player in Jennings and a guy that is just learning the position in Patterson. He is still a screen, hook, slant guy. He cannot run the entire route tree yet. The NFL has evolved to be a 3 wr and 3 cb league. We haven't realized that as we think NWE is the blueprint to follow...except Hernadez was no TE just a big WR.

This pick makes sense but we would have to spend a lot of money on the defensive side of the ball. There are better options out there but I would not be made to see a 6'5 230 lbs wr get drafted.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Its not that I'm against drafting another WR, specially in a BPA situation. It is just how desperate we are at other positions in comparison. IF Patterson takes a good step forward in year two while Wright continues to flash and our play at QB improves, we could do very well with Jennings, CP, Wright and Rudolf as our top pass catching options. Specially when you include 40-60 passes for AP.

If the top 3 QBs are gone and Watkins is somehow still there we should have a good shot at moving back with a WR needy team like STL (suggested in that other thread from Daily Norseman). Collecting an extra pick in the top half of the third round would be awesome for defensive depth and/or moving back up later (like combining our 2nd with SEA's 3rd to get one of the last 3 picks in the first to snag our QB before the other teams in the top ten get a chance), and, best yet, we can still easily get a difference maker with better value at 13...one of the top three DTs would be there, perhaps Mosley at LB, or Dennard at CB. All great options for a defense with more holes than Swiss cheese.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Why does everyone think our WR corps is so great? People act like Jarius Wright is the greatest slot player to play the game. He hasn't proved anything.

iowa is offline Rookie
    I like Watkins as much as the next guy, but, we don't have anyone to throw him the ball. If none of the qbs they like are there at #8 we need to take the best defensive player available or trade down and accumulate more picks.
    None

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast