Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft question.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Draft question.

When it comes to preaseason I'm interested to see what Tyler Thigpen can do along with every other player fighting for the final spots on our roster that what is most important in that and I'm cheering for him to beat out Drew Henson.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

They should have taken Jerry Babb from UL instead...go Ragin' Cajuns!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

maxinator11 is offline Rookie

Although he can't hold onto the football, Tony Romo wasn't drafted at all, he was a undrafted agent signed by the Boys'... I'm not saying he's a for sure starter, but he can be a future opportunity for the Vikes as a 3rd or 2nd QB on the Depth Chart...

I think that if you have a gaping hole at a position you're trying to fill with a seventh round draft pick you may be in trouble.

One thing that I think some coaches think about that a lot of people don't mention is getting enough guys in for practices.
    I can't remember the team off the top of my head, but I remember reading that some teams didn't have enough guys to throw the ball at rookie practices.
    One reason to sign twenty rookie free agents is so that you can run team drills, and get more reps for guys that have to work together (e.g. QBs and WRs).

You can bring a guy in to do that, and then if he has potential after you get a big look at him in practice you can keep him around.

When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"maxinator11" wrote:
    Although he can't hold onto the football, Tony Romo wasn't drafted at all, he was a undrafted agent signed by the Boys'... I'm not saying he's a for sure starter, but he can be a future opportunity for the Vikes as a 3rd or 2nd QB on the Depth Chart...
    Yeah I feel confident (so far) with T-Jack, but Bollinger is not a guy I'd want on my team. Skill wise. Maybe he will take Bollingers job someday, but for now I would rather have Brooks. And this Kelly Holcomb talk is sure interesting. He would be a good backup.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Bollinger does not have the physical attributes to be an NFL QB.
    Thigpen was drafted because NFL teams are always looking for blue chip QBs to develop either as potential backups or future trade value.
    Lets not forget Brad Johnson and Wade Wilson, who both became good Qbs and were drafted in the late NFL draft rounds that no longer exist.

Thigpen has great pocket presence, a strong arm, and good mobility; whether he can adjust mentally to the NFL game remains to be seen.

In the short run, I'd rather see Todd Bouman added to the roster and Bollinger subtracted.
    Bouman has game and is a capable, NFL vetern.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"umaguma1979" wrote:

In the short run, I'd rather see Todd Bouman added to the roster and Bollinger subtracted.
    Bouman has game and is a capable, NFL vetern.

The last time Bouman had game was at the Arctic Blast a few years ago.
    :-

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"baumy300" wrote:
    Brandon Siler (a good MLB from FL) was still on the board then. Wouldn't it have made better sense to get someone who we could maybe use, or maybe get a shot? It almost just feels like we wasted a pick. I haven't heard anything about Thigpen yet, but I just think there is no chance for him to play on this team. Maybe 3rd string at best, but what good is that w/o experience? (He can't help T-Jack from the sidelines is what I mean.)

So I don't know. Maybe we just wasted a 7th round pick. Not a big deal, but still kind of a waste when there are other players at other positions we could have maybe used or gave a fair chance to.

What do you guys think?
    If u look back when it was the sixth round in the Day 2 draft day thread I was screaming for Siler who was projected as a second rounder and to get him as late as the 7th would have been spectacular. I was also shouting for the Tight End Patrick who was taken by Arizona even though they just got The Vernon Davis but yeah that guy was projected second or third and who do we take. Rufus Alexander the undersized OLB and Tyler Thigpen When I shouted for Siler all u guys could say was we already got an undersized OLB we dont need a better ILB
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12