Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: A Draft Grade, Five Years Later...

a good system would be,

after 2nd season in nfl
    after 3rd playing season

and review after 5 years.

This way you can see what direction your heading.. and if your.. diamond in the ruff is really gonna shine or if it's a cubic z. look alike.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Redrouster is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del Rio" wrote:
    This is as pointless as looking back five years ago and saying man I get an "F" for putting my money down on red 19, If I was smart I would have put it down on black 20.

They talk pooh prior to the draft, are almost always wrong, then after the draft they pull up old drafts and give you a grade...LMAO. Where is their grade for the suggestions they gave?
    lol, yes, seems they will find a way to write some meaningless article just to keep the NFL fans reading. I wonder if they have the beer and popcorn sales numbers from all the stadiums from 1984. Now that would be interesting!

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Thats a pretty interesting article. I really think these draft grades are alot better than the ones right after the draft. But i would say its better if its 3 years after and not 5.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

What a bunch of critics you all are! Peter King is one of the best writers on the NFL beat anywhere. This is a fair look back at the draft from 5 years ago where he notes not only his criteria for the grades but that it is his opinion. And the "experts" here attack and attack as if you know better.

I'm sure, if the Vikes had gotten an A+, the majority of the PP.O posters would be praising his genius.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"AWZeus" wrote:
    What a bunch of critics you all are! Peter King is one of the best writers on the NFL beat anywhere. This is a fair look back at the draft from 5 years ago where he notes not only his criteria for the grades but that it is his opinion. And the "experts" here attack and attack as if you know better.

I'm sure, if the Vikes had gotten an A+, the majority of the PP.O posters would be praising his genius.

=Z=
    Agreed. This draft critique is a lot better than most, if not all.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

it's not so much that people are bashin his overall evaluation.. it's his personal bias's.. there's always gonna be someone else's side.. always an arguement that someone will bring up as they see things different.

I havn't really seen anyone say this guys blowin hot air out his arnus.

like not thinking K.rob was a stad up choice.. i disagree.. but that doesn't make his whole eval wrong.

DiGiTaL

and yes.. it's offseason and they need to print something.. it's better this then farve lovin madden spoutin his !#$! everywhere.

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"digital420" wrote:
    it's not so much that people are bashin his overall evaluation.. it's his personal bias's.. there's always gonna be someone else's side.. always an arguement that someone will bring up as they see things different.

I havn't really seen anyone say this guys blowin hot air out his arnus.

like not thinking K.rob was a stad up choice.. i disagree.. but that doesn't make his whole eval wrong.

DiGiTaL

and yes.. it's offseason and they need to print something.. it's better this then farve lovin madden spoutin his !#$! everywhere.
    If you read from the top, it's a lot of "they this" and "they that" comments - no one actually talks about "King wrote" or "King says".

And, I reiterate my point on KRob from earlier in the thread. Because he's our guy, we look past that the reality which is he had a mediocre season as a receiver last year and some impact as a KR. But did he have a transcendant returning season? Only 1 for TD and an average in the high 20s? Plus - from Seattle's viewpoint - he never reached #1 receiver status AND he had off-field problems. I think the grade it spot on - for Seattle.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:

=Z=
    OH THE DRAMA!!

The experts here could possibly know better, that is EXACTLY how random the draft is and how no matter how much wind they blow about certain players there is NO guarantee.

I have no issues with the fact that it included the Vikings, I have issue with the report itself, because it is pointless. Things like this can be picked up when a post is actually read. The fact that the Vikings are in the "F" in meaningless to me, just like if they said we got an "A"

Prophet Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    I re-read the posts and many are either agreeing with King's ranking for the Vikings or a few are saying that they (experts) should rate their own projections and give themselves a grade based on how the draft would have gone if they would have listened to the experts. That would be an interesting take, but it's a different article.

=Z=
    I highly doubt that. Since the folks that posted on here agreed with King's grade for the Vikings.

Sure, there are some Homer Vikings fans that see the world through purple shades regardless of the facts. We all do sometimes. I give many people on this site more credit then that though.

The bottom-line from my perspective is that in order for King's article to mean anything in the bigger picture he would have to do a complete temporal analysis of past drafts for every team to show what typical grade distribution would be expected a few years down the line. My guess is that there would rarely be many A-level teams because the draft is a crap-shoot like Del Rio alluded to in his post. A better analysis would be to integrate the trades and transactions that involved people from those draft picks to see how the current team makeup has transpired based on the past picks. Would this work? Probably not, because too much subjectivity would be thrown into the analysis. So, we're stuck with reading contrived stories at a point in time, in this case five years previous, and we're expected to believe that it means something regarding the current makeup of the team. Suffer on. It is the offseason afterall.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Peter King is pretty much right on with the F and the 2001 draft was a bust, Denny's last.

Let's look at the 2000 draft.

1. Chris Hovan
    2. Fred Robbins
    2. Mike Boireau
    3. Doug Chapman
    4. Antonio Wilson
    4. Tyron Carter
    5. Troy Walters
    7. Mike Malano
    7. Giles Core
    7. Lewis Kelly

I have to grade this as a C-. Even tho I think he is very overrated Hovan is still playing and Troy Walters and Tyron Carter are both journeyman.

Looking at the 2002 draft

1. Bryant McKinnie
    2. Raonall Smith
    3. Willie Offord
    4. Brian Williams
    4. Edward Taamu
    6. Nick Rogers
    7. Chad Beasly

I would have to give this draft a B grade.

On the surface it looks good but there has not been a probowl player form this draft yet, so I can only give them a B grade at this point.

I think Brian Williams and mount McKinnie will both be probowl players eventually. Brian Williams looks to be the SOD of this draft in the 4th round, to bad he will make the probowl for Jacksonville. Bryant McKinnie first few years were not as good as you would hope from the 7th pick overall, but he has been getting better the last few years and should be a probowl player soon.

Raonall Smith was a reach in the 2nd round but he has potential, but potential will only get you so far as he needs to produce consistently for the Rams.

Willie Offord was looking like he was ready to be a stub last year on special teams and like a possible starter at safety before he got hurt and hopefully he can return to that form.

Nick Rogers still has a chance to be a solid LB and looked like he was hitting his stride last year, I do not understand the lack of interest by the Vikings or anybody else for his services?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast