Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ranger is offline Coach

Re: DR Z Picks the Vikes to Win it All

I'm not quite sure what the beef with Z is.
    He's definitely one of my favorite football writers.
    Because he hasn't been high on the Vikings lately people are pissed, but lets face it, until last year it had been quite a while since there was a reason for anybody other than us to be high on the purple.

However, he likes the same type of football that I do, and values the same positions...probably why I like him.
    He loves teams that can stuff the run, and run the ball well.
    What are the Vikings if not the very definition of that?
    He loves line play, which is another thing I can't get enough of.
    Everybody wants to talk about the skill positions, the loud mouthed receivers and the sexy quarterbacks, the flashy running backs and hard hitting safeties.
    The shut down cornerbacks and their flamboyant celebrations.
    Forget all that.

Give me mauling guards, like Hutch.
    Give me our two defensive tackles, blowing up offensive lineman and crumpling those running backs, clogging lanes and breaking the will of the opponent, forcing them to throw every down.
    That's pretty epic football to watch for me, and it's something Z has frequently mentioned as a huge like of his.

I love what Childress has done with this team.
    I love the blue collar, smash mouth identity of the Vikings.
    Sure, the flashy shit in the late 90s and early 00s was sexy and exciting, but it never got the job done.
    At least when we lose a game here or there this year, the other team will be limping the next week and remembering it.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Ranger" wrote:
    Because he hasn't been high on the Vikings lately people are pissed
    , but lets face it, until last year it had been quite a while since there was a reason for anybody other than us to be high on the purple.

However, he likes the same type of football that I do, and values the same positions...probably why I like him.
    Everybody wants to talk about the skill positions, the loud mouthed receivers and the sexy quarterbacks, the flashy running backs and hard hitting safeties.
    Forget all that.

Give me our two defensive tackles, blowing up offensive lineman and crumpling those running backs, clogging lanes and breaking the will of the opponent, forcing them to throw every down.
    That's pretty epic football to watch for me, and it's something Z has frequently mentioned as a huge like of his.

Sure, the flashy shit in the late 90s and early 00s was sexy and exciting, but it never got the job done.
    At least when we lose a game here or there this year, the other team will be limping the next week and remembering it.
    I don't know squat about Dr. Z, but I have seen this happen here before.

If a sports writer writes something positive about a Vikings player or the team, some people comment about how good the article is.

But when that same writer writes something negative about a Vikings player or the team, some of those same people call the writer a hack or a yutz.

Then there are those who put a lot of faith in what Peter King says. If he says the Vikings are going to have a bad or mediocre year, they believe him 100% & feel the season is doomed before it begins.

When it comes to a Dr. Z, Peter King or any other sports writer predicting what kind of season a team will have, I put little stock into it. It's not much different than you or I predicting it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ranger is offline Coach

"singersp" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    Because he hasn't been high on the Vikings lately people are pissed
    , but lets face it, until last year it had been quite a while since there was a reason for anybody other than us to be high on the purple.

Forget all that.

Sure, the flashy pooh in the late 90s and early 00s was sexy and exciting, but it never got the job done.
    I don't know squat about Dr. Z, but I have seen this happen here before.

If a sports writer writes something positive about a Vikings player or the team, some people comment about how good the article is.

But when that same writer writes something negative about a Vikings player or the team, some of those same people call the writer a hack or a yutz.

Then there are those who put a lot of faith in what Peter King says. If he says the Vikings are going to have a bad or mediocre year, they believe him 100% & feel the season is doomed before it begins.

When it comes to a Dr. Z, Peter King or any other sports writer predicting what kind of season a team will have, I put little stock into it. It's not much different than you or I predicting it.
    Absolutely.
    I enjoy reading other people's opinions about games, and the sport in general.
    Peter King seems like a pretty nice guy, but you have take what he says with a grain of salt because he's easily influenced by his favorite players.
    Favre is a prime example, as King reached near Madden levels of nuthuggery.
    I do think he's a good and entertaining writer, though, and he seems to have interesting insight to the sport.

I like Dr. Z for the reasons I listed, and because he's a big fan of football.
    Not just the football that we all know, possibly back to the Purple People Eaters, but waaaaaay back.
    It's always interesting to hear his old ass talk about players I've never heard of, and how the formations and schemes we all know came about.
    His best articles are when he discusses the periods of time and the players nobody really knows, or when he talks about positions that people usually don't care about.
    He had one a few years ago about run blocking guards, and it was excellent.
    He really breaks down what qualities those players have to have, and what separates them from the run of the mill guards.
    Very interesting.
    In fact, I think that was the first time I started really paying attention to the guard play in games, whereas before I'd usually only watch the offensive tackles on passing plays.
    Shortly thereafter I realized that Hutch (with the 'hawks at the time) was a beast of a man.

[size=13pt]Knowing Roman numerals helps in predicting NFL[/size]

Sunday, June 22, 2008

By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    post-gazette.com

Some extraneous Web surfing this week left me unable to escape the fact that Sports Illustrated's estimable Dr. Z has already selected the Minnesota Vikings to win Super Bowl XLIII, which is astounding when you consider that we're still more than seven months upstream, but not so astounding when you realize that Mel Kiper Jr. has probably already identified the top five speed rushers in the 2013 NFL Draft.....

"singersp" wrote:

Sunday, June 22, 2008

By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    post-gazette.com

As it happens, Dr. Z did the same thing at about this time last year, picking the New Orleans Saints to win it all, but the Saints tweaked his credibility by failing to win until October and winding up 7-9
    Nuff said.....It's still to early to predict the winner with any kind of assuredness.

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

I like Z and the fact he likes football more than he does just players and specific teams. I think he picked the Vikes to win because this team has the talent to cause a lot of upsets. A terrific team on paper everywhere but QB really, but I like TJs chances of being a game manager and letting the run do its thing. Good prediction based on analysis.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Ranger" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    has Dr Z ever been right? my dog picks the games better than he does
    Don't be retarded.
    Z picked the Giants to beat the Patriots, and he's also picked an entire playoff field and the eventual super bowl winners prior to the first game being played.
    He's a far cry more accurate with his picks than most, but at the end of the day, upsets are upsets and you can't get them all right.

Minnesota has the ability to go all the way this year.
    There are some very tough teams to face, and I honestly feel that the destiny of the team will rest in the throwing hand of Jackson.

Don't be an a**hole...there's no need for that kind of talk.

All is know is...whenever "Dr" Z picks a team, I will go the other way, and I'll be ahead more often than he will.

I could not care less if he trashes the Vikings...as a matter of fact, I welcome it...from him and every writer or commentator out there. What difference does it make what some "expert" says? I just want the Vikes to be #1 in the power rankings after the Super Bowl.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"Ranger" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    Don't be retarded.
    Z picked the Giants to beat the Patriots, and he's also picked an entire playoff field and the eventual super bowl winners prior to the first game being played. He's a far cry more accurate with his picks than most, but at the end of the day, upsets are upsets and you can't get them all right.
    You are dead wrong! He picked the Saints last year, not the Giants. One would think you'd be sure of your facts before calling anyone retarded.

As it happens, Dr. Z did the same thing at about this time last year, picking the New Orleans Saints to win it all, but the Saints tweaked his credibility by failing to win until October and winding up 7-9

Want more proof? Here's his article from last year picking the Saints to beat the Chargers Saints 31 - 27.

He has the Giants finishing at only 6-10.

[size=13pt]Dr.Z Prediction Order of Finish[/size]

Ultrapurple is offline Rookie

I do this every year around this time. I search for every positive article I can find about the vikes and use it as justification for my unbridled optimism for the upcoming season. And if the author of the forementioned article, has any kind of national following, then my exuberence & anticipation just go through the roof!

That being said, I must remind myself that I didn't buy into "Dr Z's" opinion whenever he would bury us this early in the year. I don't see any reason to get too excited about his new found love for the Purple & Gold! Do I agree with him,......sure, but I am always optimistic this time of year! It's early times still, and we have plenty of room on the Vikings Bandwagon. Welcome aboard Mr. Zimmerman, pick out your spot carefully, it's gonna get crowded!

I honestly believe the Minnesota Vikings are going to have a fantastic year! I think we will be the NFC North Champions and absolutely contend for a shot at this years Super Bowl. Even though I know I have had these thoughts & feelings before, & been disappointed. We are building a winning franchise!

Drinking the Purple kool-aid,........yep, wearing purple tinted sunglasses,.......uh huh, I am a Minnesota Vikings Fan and I can't wait for the season to start!
    UltraPurple, USAF (Ret)
    The Woodlands, Texas

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    Don't be retarded.
    Z picked the Giants to beat the Patriots, and he's also picked an entire playoff field and the eventual super bowl winners prior to the first game being played.
    He's a far cry more accurate with his picks than most, but at the end of the day, upsets are upsets and you can't get them all right.

Minnesota has the ability to go all the way this year.
    There are some very tough teams to face, and I honestly feel that the destiny of the team will rest in the throwing hand of Jackson.

Don't be an a**hole...there's no need for that kind of talk.

All is know is...whenever "Dr" Z picks a team, I will go the other way, and I'll be ahead more often than he will.

I could not care less if he trashes the Vikings...as a matter of fact, I welcome it...from him and every writer or commentator out there. What difference does it make what some "expert" says? I just want the Vikes to be #1 in the power rankings after the Super Bowl.
    and through one of the regluar season, didn't he go 500 or worse? he would have done better with the coin flip method.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast