Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guruzen is offline Starter

Double standards for our Offense and Defense

I don't understand why AFTER JUST ONE GAME everyone is jumping on our defensive bandwagon and yet criticises those that suggest our offense is having problems because it's "JUST ONE GAME".

Our defense "dominated" against an offense with Brian Griese, a rookie RB and a rookie TE... not exactly Manning, James and Clark is it? And how can you say we "dominated"??? The rookie RB burned us for 148 yards while the rookie TE scored 2 TD's!!! However, when it comes to our "atrocious" offense, we simply brush it off as "a wake up call" or "we'll bounce back". Granted, the O-line sucked but the entire offense was anemic in general.

To those that have been preaching that a poor showing from our offense doesn't prove anything because it's JUST ONE GAME... well, the same goes for our defense! Drop your double standards and decide whether "JUST ONE GAME" does or doesn't show how good/bad a team is. My view is that you can't conclude anything until at least 4-5 weeks into the season. However I'm seeing comments being posted along the lines of "Bengals have a good offense but don't worry we have a great defense so the game will be decided by how well our offense plays. Our offense will bounce back after last week's wake up call and dominate like we did last year".

Make up your mind people!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Double standards for our Offense and Defense

I do not think our Defense dominated, nor do I think our Offense stinks.

We will have it together soon...this weekend of course!

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

It has to do with us looking for positives about that game and none existed on offense while the defense forced many three and outs and made great tackles and the only really bad plays were when our nickel and dime guys were covering the starting WR and the only good run we gave up on Williams which he never would get in a normal defensive front. The bottum line is we look at the defense and special teams as positives and some may be buying into the media saying we suck without Moss.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"FuadFan" wrote:
    It has to do with us looking for positives about that game and none existed on offense while the defense forced many three and outs and made great tackles and the only really bad plays were when our nickel and dime guys were covering the starting WR and the only good run we gave up on Williams which he never would get in a normal defensive front. The bottum line is we look at the defense and special teams as positives and some may be buying into the media saying we suck without Moss.
    Good post Faud!

True, it was the only thing that we could find positive, so we may be making it out to be greater than it is, that goes for the bad O, not just the good D.

Totally agree with you guys... we have to look at the positives and not jump to conclusions too early.

All we know now is that the D did well against an average offense and the O had a bad game against a good defense.

I kinda like that fact that despite how poorly we played, we were still in the game until that last pick.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"Guruzen" wrote:
    I don't understand why AFTER JUST ONE GAME everyone is jumping on our defensive bandwagon and yet criticises those that suggest our offense is having problems because it's "JUST ONE GAME".

Our defense "dominated" against an offense with Brian Griese, a rookie RB and a rookie TE... not exactly Manning, James and Clark is it? And how can you say we "dominated"??? The rookie RB burned us for 148 yards while the rookie TE scored 2 TD's!!! However, when it comes to our "atrocious" offense, we simply brush it off as "a wake up call" or "we'll bounce back". Granted, the O-line sucked but the entire offense was anemic in general.

To those that have been preaching that a poor showing from our offense doesn't prove anything because it's JUST ONE GAME... well, the same goes for our defense! Drop your double standards and decide whether "JUST ONE GAME" does or doesn't show how good/bad a team is. My view is that you can't conclude anything until at least 4-5 weeks into the season. However I'm seeing comments being posted along the lines of "Bengals have a good offense but don't worry we have a great defense so the game will be decided by how well our offense plays. Our offense will bounce back after last week's wake up call and dominate like we did last year".

Make up your mind people!
    Did you even watch the game?

Your right it is only one game, but come on. When was the last time you actually seen this type on intesity on the vikings defense. They played great against a team that ranked 16th overall in offense last year. That might not be a great O, but its far from the 320 yards that we gave up to washington last year, which was 30th in offense. Or the 700 yards we gave up to the bears last year (380yards game 1, 318 yards game 2), the 32 ranked offense.

I dont think anyone is saying the D is going to be a top 5 this year but look at what they did. They played awsome.

148 yards rushing by caddie, if you see the game he was held to 2.9 yards per carry, 77 yards rushing for 58:30 of the game. When was the last time we did that to any running back.

I dont think getting burned by there TE on 2 scores is that bad. I see only one of the 2 was really our D's fault. That one turned out to be a LB that took on a block instead of falling back into coverage on the TE.

The other one was when Cowart left with a shoulder stinger and his replacemet had good coverage, it was just a well thrown ball. I dont think much could have been done about that one.

Sure bwill stunk it up on a couple plays, missed a tackle that led to a 41 yard gain for clayton. Didnt turn to the ball on a 14 yard gain on a 3rd and 9, and gave up a 1st down.

Brown was burnt once for 30 some yards on his 1st play in the game, and if you watch he fell down at the start of the play. Nothing major there.

Look at the field position that DC gave the defense. I mean tampa started on our 23 yard line and didnt score any points for that drive.

Sure the defense might still suck like last year, but we never played like this last year for one game, or the year before now that im thinking of it. But I will wait before I call the defense great just like I will wait to call the offense great but you cant take away the fact that they played a great game and even after 5 turnovers we were still in a position to win the game with 2:00 left to play thanks to the Defense.

hehe, wow. everything I wrote was covered, before I hit submit, by you guys.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

All GRURUZEN is saying is you can't call Tampa Bays D great after only one game and they were the ones that shut someone out on Offense by not letting them score a TD. You have to have a measuring stick and after one week there isn't one.

He is also saying that the D played well.

Coming to the conclusion that the D is great is counting chickens before they are hatched.

I don't think anyone has said our D sucks.

Holding the horses is a good defense mechanism.

smootpepper you got a point dude... the D had a certain attitude that was lacking last year. It would be interesting to see if they can keep this level of intensity the whole season.

I remember the only time our D even came close to that kind of intensity was our playoff win against the Packers.

Yeah, I see what he is saying. But still, last year Tampa's D ranked #1 vs the pass and #5 overall. Saying there an ok D, for even a good D might be putting it lightly. But it is a new season and who knows if they play like last year, but they sure got off to a good start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast