Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    The Vikings will have a top three pick again next year. It's an opportunity that has been rare in Vikings history. Last time they had such a high pick, Spielman traded back one spot, took Kalil, and people thought he was masterful in gaining an additional draft pick in addition to getting the player he wanted. He later moved up to snag Harrison Smith in the first round.
    Both Luck and RGIII were gone when Kalil was chosen and Ponder 'the reach', was already on the roster.
    No second round pick after moving up to grab Smith.
    With the third pick of the third round, the Vikings took Josh robinson .
    Russell Wilson went with the 12th pick of that round, Nick Foles with the 25th, and Kirk Cousins with the 7th pick of the fourth round.
    This gives me little hope of the Vikings finding a diamond in the rough at QB in any round.

I want to see a new GM and coach select a point scoring player with the high first round pick the Vikings will have; preferably a QB. An opportunity to pick this high should not be squandered on a non point scoring player unless a blue chip appearing QB or WR aren't available.

Though Kalil is a good player, I would not have taken a lineman with that high of a pick.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I think fans will be slightly more accomodating if they do a full restart. All new coaches/coordinators. Somebody proven. Have to be straighforward, it's a 3-year project. Groom a QB, build a D, rebuild the OL, keep Sully, Load and Kalil.,.EVERYBODY else better improve, or find a new team.

Scrap the T2, hell, since we're losing JA and KW anyway, now's a good a time as any to start the 3-4 transition.

We can make it work.

Griffen----Erin----Greenway---- Robison
    -----Floyd---Draft/FA-----Guion
    Only one thing will appease fans...winning. They shouldn't give a rat's ass what we think about any pick they make or any coaching change they make. All they need to do is find a way to make this team competitive and the fans will be on board.

If we reshuffle the entire coaching staff (which I'm in favor of), pick a sexy QB in the draft and revamp our offensive and defensive schemes, it may bring hope to the fan base for a year or so, but it's blind hope. Until they show a winning product on the field, they haven't accomplished anything.

I agree with PF that there may be some very solid QB's to be had after the first round. They may not be the sexiest dual threat guys, but solid passing QB's like McCarron, Mettenberger and Petty. Of these 3, I think Petty throws the best ball, but McCarron and Mettenberger are more battle tested and especially McCarron has shown consistent play when it matters most.

Mike Glennon is a good example of a guy who scouts thought was a great QB from the pocket, but his lack of scrambling ability and weak competition knocked him down to the 3rd round. I think he was the 3rd QB taken though in a historically bad QB draft. This year looks much stronger, even if there isn't a no brainer like Luck in it. However, if Bridgewater is an option without having to package a bunch of picks, I would have hard time passing him up.

Mike Holmgren's take on scouting a QB:

[QUOTE]Holmgren would frequently tell the scouting staff to place a greater emphasis on intangible traits like football intelligence, confidence, leadership ability and mental toughness over physical attributes like arm strength. He believed a quarterback with average arm talent could succeed in the NFL, if he was an outstanding decision maker in the pocket and delivered accurate throws to receivers on the move. Holmgren would also point out that a quarterback must have the supporting cast around him to succeed, regardless of his individual talent.[/QUOTE]

This was a plug for McCarron on NFL.com.

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni
    The bad news isn't really news at all: We Need a QB. The good news, is that there are several with potential coming out this year. In addition to Bridgewater, Mariota, and Johnny Football (none of whom I am fully sold on) there is also Hundley at UCLA, Boyd in Clemson, McCarron from 'Bama, Mettenberger in LSU and Derek Carr from Fresno State.

According to drafttek (link below) that is 7 QBs ranked in the top 42 picks and we currently have 2 of those, So the possibility of a decent project later in the first or early 2nd is definitely there...and, would open up the chance for us to replace one of our aging vets on the DL with an upgrade (at this point) like a Louis Nix, DT Notre Dame. And, if we are really considering going 3-4, guys big enough, mean enough and fast enough to play NT in that scheme are pretty rare, and grabbing a guy like Nix could go a long, long way toward making that scheme successful.

However, I for one am super sick of gambling on the QB position, and will also be fine with pulling the trigger on one of the earlier guys, if they are convinced he has the mental makeup to work hard, stay out of trouble, and be a leader who inspires his team to work hard.

Lots of the mocks I'm seeing have us going with Hundley at either 3 or 5, which is where I see us picking. He's got pro size at 6'3" and 227 lbs and has completed nearly 70% of his passes over the past 2 seasons. Then, instead, maybe we spend the later 1st (move up) or our 2nd, on the local kid, Hageman, to bolster the inside of our DL...

2014 NFL Draft Prospects | 2014 NFL Draft Board | Top 100 NFL Prospects |

2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni
    I just wanted to add to what Tasty is saying. Thing is, we have running the ball pretty well covered, what we don't have covered is Passing. So, the dual threat QB isn't so sexy to me. Yeah sure, you want an athlete who can buy time when needed, but passing accuracy and team leadership are way more important to me. Besides, most of these dual threat guys end up oft-injured anyway!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    The bad news isn't really news at all: We Need a QB. The good news, is that there are several with potential coming out this year. In addition to Bridgewater, Mariota, and Johnny Football (none of whom I am fully sold on) there is also Hundley at UCLA, Boyd in Clemson, McCarron from 'Bama, Mettenberger in LSU and Derek Carr from Fresno State.

According to drafttek (link below) that is 7 QBs ranked in the top 42 picks and we currently have 2 of those, So the possibility of a decent project later in the first or early 2nd is definitely there...and, would open up the chance for us to replace one of our aging vets on the DL with an upgrade (at this point) like a Louis Nix, DT Notre Dame. And, if we are really considering going 3-4, guys big enough, mean enough and fast enough to play NT in that scheme are pretty rare, and grabbing a guy like Nix could go a long, long way toward making that scheme successful.

However, I for one am super sick of gambling on the QB position, and will also be fine with pulling the trigger on one of the earlier guys, if they are convinced he has the mental makeup to work hard, stay out of trouble, and be a leader who inspires his team to work hard.

Lots of the mocks I'm seeing have us going with Hundley at either 3 or 5, which is where I see us picking. He's got pro size at 6'3" and 227 lbs and has completed nearly 70% of his passes over the past 2 seasons. Then, instead, maybe we spend the later 1st (move up) or our 2nd, on the local kid, Hageman, to bolster the inside of our DL...

2014 NFL Draft Prospects | 2014 NFL Draft Board | Top 100 NFL Prospects |

2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com
    Brett Hundley looks the part of an NFL QB and certainly has a strong arm, but I think he is still pretty raw.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Taking an inaccurate QB and thinking you can fix him by working on his mechanics doesn't seem to be a reliable formula. I believe accuracy is somewhat innate and only rarely learned.
    Rodgers has unbelievable accuracy and arm strength as well as the other qualities Holmgren looks for.
    I agree with Holmgren but would add accuracy as a trait I would look for.
    Last edited by smegmavike; 11-19-2013 at 04:13 PM.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    I might be against the masses but i wouldnt pick Mariota in the first round.

My QB Top 5 Right now should be something like

1. Bridgewater
    2. Manziel
    3. Murray
    4. Mariota
    5. McCarron

Id pick Bridgewater #1 Overall and Manziel proberly has value about the 10th pick to me.

Murray is a late first rounder in my eyes and then Mariotta in the second early.

I still don't know if i would like Manziel and the drama that comes with it, he has a lot of talent, but will veterans respect him and play hard for him if he comes in to the team with an attitude?.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

PInfante97 is offline Rookie
    give me Teddy, give me Johnny, or give me death!!!! Mariota = 100% bust - he sux

Ranger is offline Coach
    Just draft the top rated QB in every round. One of those guys will have to pan out.

I'm only half-kidding, anymore. I'm so desperate to have a good, home-grown quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Taking an inaccurate QB and thinking you can fix him by working on his mechanics doesn't seem to be a reliable formula. I believe accuracy is somewhat innate and only rarely learned.
    Rodgers has unbelievable accuracy and arm strength as well as the other qualities Holmgren looks for.
    I agree with Holmgren but would add accuracy as a trait I would look for.
    Here's the article, they also stressed accuracy.

Scout's Take: AJ McCarron's winning traits will attract NFL teams - NFL.com

Now, I know my assessment of McCarron's game runs counter to the popular opinion that a franchise quarterback exhibits excellence as a passer in all aspects (arm talent and range), but offensive coaches will quickly point to judgment and accuracy as the most important part of playing the position. This is an opinion voiced by veteran NFL coaches, and it is one of the tenets that I learned from Mike Holmgren during my time working as a scout for the Seattle Seahawks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast