Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Don't print that! 04/16/06

Posted on Sun, Apr. 16, 2006

[size=18px]Don't print that[/size]

) Twins Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana said teammate and rookie reliever Francisco Liriano "throws harder than me, and he's got a great slider, very fast."

Does Liriano have the stuff to become another Santana? "We'll see," Santana said.

) It still looks as if the Vikings will try to trade their No. 17 overall pick in the April 29 NFL draft to Atlanta for backup quarterback Matt Schaub.

) Don't be surprised if North Dakota State men's basketball coach Tim Miles is named coach at North Carolina-Wilmington this week and if North Dakota State pursues Gophers defensive whiz Jim Molinari as a replacement.

) A little birdie said former Vikings tight ends coach John Tice, brother of former Vikings coach Mike Tice, interviewed for a position with the Vikings recently.

) The University of Minnesota is waiting for completion of a Minneapolis police investigation before wrapping up its internal investigation into alleged underage drinking by members of the Gophers men's hockey team last year. Regardless, repercussions are expected to be minor.

) Former Twins slugger Jim Lemon, 78, is gravely ill with cancer in Jackson, Miss. And former North Star Garry Bauman has been diagnosed with a form of cancer for which there is no cure.

) Twins outfielder Torii Hunter, with friends at a downtown Minneapolis restaurant on the eve of facing Oakland starter Esteban Loaiza on Wednesday at the Metrodome, quietly predicted he would hit a home run off Loaiza, which he did.

) Word is the Wild are considering making the old John Deere office complex in Bloomington their private practice facility.

) Matt Carle of Denver won the Hobey Baker Award, but the Gophers' Ryan Potulny was named college hockey's best player by SIOncampus.com.

Overheard

) Vikings four-time Pro Bowl center Matt Birk of St. Paul has moved from Prior Lake to Mendota Heights: "I'm back on the right side of the river."

Charley Walters' column appears Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. He can be reached at cwalters@ pioneerpress.com.

Don't print that

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Don't print that! 04/16/06

I really hope we make that trade for Schaub insted of trading our first 3 pics to pick cutler or young

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

Vince Young would be great to see in purple and gold next season or if we can't get him after trying are best to. Go for schaub since he has some talent after backing up Mike Vick.

Formerly Viking24

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

i like the kfan character "charlie balters"

this guy mostly just points out the obvious.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

Get Young! Think about the combo of VY to TW for the next decade! Our offense would once again have that ability and explosiveness that we once possesed when 84 was around.
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Although I like Vince Young, I think Schaub would be an excellant pick-up and would be ready to play right now, as opposed to the usual 2-4 yr growing period for rookies.

norseforce is offline Rookie

schaub would be great he's still very young with skills, but YOUNG would SPECIAL. thats true carta4 VY to TW would be sweet

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"carta4eva" wrote:
    Get Young! Think about the combo of VY to TW for the next decade! Our offense would once again have that ability and explosiveness that we once possesed when 84 was around.
    Heck yah! :grin:

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    Although I like Vince Young, I think Schaub would be an excellant pick-up and would be ready to play right now, as opposed to the usual 2-4 yr growing period for rookies.
    I have to agree with PurpleTide. I can't see Brad Johnson playing more than this year. Shaub would be a legitimate backup this year, and would be ready to start next.

I trust Childress on this one though. He brought along D. McNabb successfully.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Json is offline GM

I love the fact that there's still a possibility of getting Schaub. It's the best move the Vikings can do IMO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast