Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Don't look for identity of defense to change much

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier was asked last week at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis if he and coordinator Fred Pagac will give the team's defense a different identity........snip..........

I donít know how much the identity will change......

It sure changed when he let Pagac take over.......

Frazier said that Pagac called 100 percent of the defenses last season after he became the coordinator.

"He did a great job for us down the stretch, and I really felt that that was necessary under the circumstances that we were in at that time of the year,
    Could it be that Leslie actually did a self assesment and felt he was actually hindering/hurting the defense?

Frazier said he will remain involved in the defense, but that it won't be to the point it was when he was the coordinator.

.....snip......But I want to be a true head coach. I want to be able to assist Bill [Musgrave, the offensive coordinator], along with Mike Priefer, our special teams coordinator, and really manage our football team and not just be tied to one side of the ball or another. But Iíll definitely have input on defense."
    I guess I can say this. So far I like what I'm hearing out of Coach Frazier.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Don't look for identity of defense to change much

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090427
    Vikings coach Leslie Frazier was asked last week at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis if he and coordinator Fred Pagac will give the team's defense a different identity........snip..........

Frazier said that Pagac called 100 percent of the defenses last season after he became the coordinator.

"He did a great job for us down the stretch, and I really felt that that was necessary under the circumstances that we were in at that time of the year,
    Could it be that Leslie actually did a self assesment and felt he was actually hindering/hurting the defense?

Frazier said he will remain involved in the defense, but that it won't be to the point it was when he was the coordinator.

.....snip......But I want to be a true head coach. I want to be able to assist Bill [Musgrave, the offensive coordinator], along with Mike Priefer, our special teams coordinator, and really manage our football team and not just be tied to one side of the ball or another. But Iíll definitely have input on defense."
    I still believe marr that Frazier was only calling plays within Childress T2/C2 defense. You notice he did not stay with it long after Chilly was out of the way.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1090429

I still believe marr that Frazier was only calling plays within Childress T2/C2 defense. You notice he did not stay with it long after Chilly was out of the way.
    You might be correct, but Leslie has alot more T2/C2 background than he does anything else.

I still believe that coach Pagac got away from it, and the quotes we've read from Leslie kindof bare that out IMHO.

Regardless of who gets the credit, the defense sure did play alot better after Leslie made the move. Again, back to the quotes, I think our new D-coord should get the nod.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Have to agree on that, strikes me thats there's a lot of quiet unstated things going on since Frazier took over. If he has decided that he has been hindering the defence and is willing to step back then that's a hell of a thing to do, especially from a former DC.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1090435

Have to agree on that, strikes me thats there's a lot of quiet unstated things going on since Frazier took over. If he has decided that he has been hindering the defence and is willing to step back then that's a hell of a thing to do, especially from a former DC.
    And if he did do that,
    I really felt that that was necessary under the circumstances
    then I am impressed.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't see it as much that Frazier didn't think he was doing a good job as coordinator but that he is sending the message that it isn't going to be a totalitarian regime any more and that he is going to let his coaches coach their way. He of course will still follow up and oversee what they do but it won't be the top down approach they had previously.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090434

You might be correct, but Leslie has alot more T2/C2 background than he does anything else.

I still believe that coach Pagac got away from it, and the quotes we've read from Leslie kindof bare that out IMHO.

Regardless of who gets the credit, the defense sure did play alot better after Leslie made the move. Again, back to the quotes, I think our new D-coord should get the nod.
    While yes, Leslie is a big T2 guy, remember, when Chilly came here, he hand-picked Tomlin, because he knew the scheme that Chilly wanted to run. Notice Tomlin completely left the D alone in Pittsburgh? Smart move. I think Chilly had the general plan of what he wanted the D to look like, but didn't know the ins and outs well enough to really run it (Like Bellicheck can) I do believe, and this is pure speculation, but I think he was heavily involved in defense. While not drawing up plays and whatnot, but he told Tomlin, then Fraizer how he wanted things done. might explain why we gave cushions to WR's in the cover-2. Chilly's method of confusing the QB? haha

Once Chilly hit the road, I'd say they still stuck with the general scheme, since you can't really change mid-season, but they had the freedom to do what they want, how they want. They have two defensive guys running a defense, without the nagging from some bald moustache-faced QB guru.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090493
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090434

While yes, Leslie is a big T2 guy, remember, when Chilly came here, he hand-picked Tomlin, because he knew the scheme that Chilly wanted to run. Notice Tomlin completely left the D alone in Pittsburgh? Smart move. I think Chilly had the general plan of what he wanted the D to look like, but didn't know the ins and outs well enough to really run it (Like Bellicheck can) I do believe, and this is pure speculation, but I think he was heavily involved in defense. While not drawing up plays and whatnot, but he told Tomlin, then Fraizer how he wanted things done. might explain why we gave cushions to WR's in the cover-2. Chilly's method of confusing the QB? haha

Once Chilly hit the road, I'd say they still stuck with the general scheme, since you can't really change mid-season, but they had the freedom to do what they want, how they want. They have two defensive guys running a defense, without the nagging from some bald moustache-faced QB guru.
    Wait a minute, wait a minute, weren't you one of the cats on here who were trying to say the defense was good cause the Chiller didn't have a say in it? DOUBLE WOW

Guys, Leslies forte/background is the T2. Why would he change from his strength.

In the end, I think Purple Floyd is the closest. Leslie wanted to change the players opinion of the HC's role on the staff and tried to move from the "Authoritarian" leadership style the Chiller used.

When he did that, Pagac got more agreesive with HIS gameplan and HIS playcalling.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier told reporters last week at the NFL scouting combine that the team was going to try to upgrade its defensive line, either through the draft or free agency. Frazier was not happy that the Vikings' four-year streak of finishing first or second in the NFL against the run ended last season as the team fell to ninth.
    Frazier emphasizes improving D-line

Well Duh. Problem is, its to late to try to fix it with the draft. That cat won't be up to snuff for 2 to 3 years.

You can't upgrade it by keeping two of these three cause they are the reason it has slippped.

Frazier focused his comments on the tackle spot, mentioning Fred Evans, Letroy Guion and Jimmy Kennedy. Evans, however, also could end up a free agent.
    Bring in a Vet and draft a DT early (instead of drafting CB every year cause that hasn't fixed anything) and you will see our defense finally playing the way it should play.

On a side note:

The good news is that this draft class of defensive linemen is considered to be extremely deep.
    Take that with a grain of salt. It is deep, at DE and 3/5 technique DT's. Thats good news for our LDE problems, not so good of news when you look at trying to replace Phat Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090443
    I don't see it as much that Frazier didn't think he was doing a good job as coordinator but that he is sending the message that it isn't going to be a totalitarian regime any more and that he is going to let his coaches coach their way. He of course will still follow up and oversee what they do but it won't be the top down approach they had previously.
    Excellent post Purp. Your probably hitting the nail right on the head.

Again, so far I've been impressed with our new HC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast