Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

Re: Don't give up yet on Childress yet!!

"davike" wrote:
    We gave Childress one year. How many times does a team that gets a brand new coach with a brand new system come in and make the playoffs the next year? Not many, it would be different if we brought in a coach with a relatively same system that we had before, because we would have a lot of the personal needed to run that system already. But Childress has a brand new system, and he needs a couple years to get the personal to run his form of WCO and the cover 2 defense. He brought in a bunch of new players last year, and most of them helped out the team. We questioned why he didn't bring in a big name RB, instead we got a no name Chestor Taylor, who out preformed any of the available free agent RBs last year. Many questioned McMullen, he turned out to be one of the bright spots in our offense and by the end of the year most wanted him to see more playing time. He brought in low mile vets that weren't well known because they were over shadowed by bigger players. I believe they got 3 out of the 4 free agents they pursued this year, he is waiting for the right players. To many teams make the mistake of picking players that are big names but wouldn't excell in their system, I think Childress is waiting for the right players that would work best for him. Just about every player he has brought in lived up to expectations or better.

I am going to give Childress a couple years to get HIS team that he wants together. It may take longer but I think he has a long term plan and will stick to that. He can't throw together a team in 2 offseasons. He needs a little more time....I haven't been impressed by some of his moves, but I think he knows what he is doing and what players are going to work best for him. Some times I gotta kick myself and remind myself that he knows about 100 times more about the game of football then I do and he knows building a winning team is not about keeping every fan happy.

Also we need to remember that he is fairly new at this head coaching business, he is still learning too, it is unreasonable to expect him to come in and just know exactly how to do it, I'm sure he has had to make adjustments and will continue to do so. I think if we give him a year or two then the Vikings will start to come around and take shape.

I realize that a lot of fans aren't giving up, and good for you, I just wasted my words on you, but I hope this will encourage everyone that the Vikes aren't doomed under Childress yet and don't give up!!
    i can name 2 from last year.
    new york jets and n.o saints, both teams with much worse records than us the year before.
    but i am just gonna judge him based on the job he's done so far and one year is not a whole lot.
    but who pays if this lack of movement and a bad record results from that.
    the leeway we are giving him i cannot imagine gives him the oppurtunity to have a 4-12 year and a still poor offense.
    does he come back for a 3rd year if thats the case, i dont think so just cuz management will have to answer for the steps backwards.
    all speculation of course, but that's what talk is for.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

I agree with davike...but bigbad, I'm also with you.

I'm on a Vikes Email group on Yahoo, and I'm one of the few people there who aren't calling for Childress's (or Wilf's) head this year.
    I think it's ridiculous how people are bashing him for our 6-10 record last year and "inactivity" in FA this year.
    Everybody pretty much agrees that this has been a weak FA crop, but yet they still expect Childress to run out and grab a bunch of stars.
    Regardless of whether or not BC is done in FA, I have faith that he knows what he's doing, and will have another good Draft.

HOWEVER...and this is the part where I side with bigbad...IF Childress actually goes backward, or doesn't improve to at least 9-7, then I think it will show that any improvement on our team will take too long, and he should be shown the door.

Perhaps so Wilf can start wining and dining Cowher to come out of retirement.
    LOL

BigBagso'rags; did NO and NYJ change their offensive systems from 'Std NFL pro offense' to 'WCO', or vice versa?
    Did those two teams change from a 4-3 front to a 3-4 front?
    From a 'std NFL 4-3 Zone' to 'Cover 2 - TB version', or vice versa?
    The Vikings changed both their offense and defense under Tice to a WCO and TB C2, respectively.
    Those changes require a 50%-75% turnover of personnel on the roster.

Addendum:
    If a coach were fired in his first season, no QUALITY coach would sign on as the new coach, under the ownership group that fired the first coach.
    The reason is that they (QUALITY COACHES) realize from that ownership's actions that they have only one season to turn things around, which isn't possible in the days of multi-year contracts, free agency, and the salary cap.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

I agree.. I can relate to it in this way.
    I'm in my first year of teaching elementary school.
    I have had my share of mistakes and mishaps, but I also have my share of good ideas and lesson plans.
    Don't shoot the rookie right out of the gate, give them time to LIVE AND LEARN.
    That's what life is all about.
    Now if Chilly can't learn from his years and stack on experience to become a better coach, then that is when you show him the door.
    He wants a young team so when he gets all of the right players that he wants, the team wont be residing in the community elderly home.
    Give it time, give it time....

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"VikesFan787" wrote:
    Yeah, lets get s-h-i-t poppin in here. I dont know bout you but i
    usually am lookin down on Minn. Lets turn this sh** around,. Minnesota has a shot next year. If we get Carr. Damn.

Imagine Williamson better now that his vision problem is better, don't forget Billy McMullen, Travis Taylor, CHESTER TAYLOR, our #1 run defense. A. winfield in the backfield with Griffin and Blue. come on now. lets step it up and cheer em on.

TANK and GREENWAY comin back. Leber!

GO MINNESOTA!!!!!
    Actually you should probably forget about McMuffin if your trying to think positive.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Actually, McMullen did well in a possession WR role.
    He was not brought in to run deep routes and catch passes on the fly.
    He did well converting a lot of 3rd downs into first downs.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

also. TONY RICHARDSON!

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote]
    davike,

I can see you are a man of sound mind and deep wisdom.
    I feel that you can be entrusted to use the following quote whenver you see fit.

[I like it when someone blames Childress. Its like it is a secret code for "My opinion is worthless because I don't know what I'm talking about"/quote]

Seriously though, great post man.
    ;D
    YES!! I can use the 'I like it when someone blames Childress. Its like it is a secret code for "My opinion is worthless because I don't know what I'm talking about"' phrase now.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

davike is offline Team Alumni

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    We gave Childress one year. How many times does a team that gets a brand new coach with a brand new system come in and make the playoffs the next year? Not many, it would be different if we brought in a coach with a relatively same system that we had before, because we would have a lot of the personal needed to run that system already. But Childress has a brand new system, and he needs a couple years to get the personal to run his form of WCO and the cover 2 defense. He brought in a bunch of new players last year, and most of them helped out the team. We questioned why he didn't bring in a big name RB, instead we got a no name Chestor Taylor, who out preformed any of the available free agent RBs last year. Many questioned McMullen, he turned out to be one of the bright spots in our offense and by the end of the year most wanted him to see more playing time. He brought in low mile vets that weren't well known because they were over shadowed by bigger players. I believe they got 3 out of the 4 free agents they pursued this year, he is waiting for the right players. To many teams make the mistake of picking players that are big names but wouldn't excell in their system, I think Childress is waiting for the right players that would work best for him. Just about every player he has brought in lived up to expectations or better.

I am going to give Childress a couple years to get HIS team that he wants together. It may take longer but I think he has a long term plan and will stick to that. He can't throw together a team in 2 offseasons. He needs a little more time....I haven't been impressed by some of his moves, but I think he knows what he is doing and what players are going to work best for him. Some times I gotta kick myself and remind myself that he knows about 100 times more about the game of football then I do and he knows building a winning team is not about keeping every fan happy.

Also we need to remember that he is fairly new at this head coaching business, he is still learning too, it is unreasonable to expect him to come in and just know exactly how to do it, I'm sure he has had to make adjustments and will continue to do so. I think if we give him a year or two then the Vikings will start to come around and take shape.

I realize that a lot of fans aren't giving up, and good for you, I just wasted my words on you, but I hope this will encourage everyone that the Vikes aren't doomed under Childress yet and don't give up!!
    i can name 2 from last year.
    new york jets and n.o saints, both teams with much worse records than us the year before.
    but i am just gonna judge him based on the job he's done so far and one year is not a whole lot.
    but who pays if this lack of movement and a bad record results from that.
    the leeway we are giving him i cannot imagine gives him the oppurtunity to have a 4-12 year and a still poor offense.
    does he come back for a 3rd year if thats the case, i dont think so just cuz management will have to answer for the steps backwards.
    all speculation of course, but that's what talk is for.
    I'm sorry but did they change systems? Notice how I bolded new system in my first post.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

He noticed it.
    He conveniently ignored it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast