Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Don't forget about "Me"welde

[size=18px]Don't forget about "Me"welde[/size]

By Eric Krupka on May 12, 2006 02:13 AM

On March 11, the Minnesota Vikings agreed to terms with former Baltimore Ravens running back Chester Taylor on a four-year contract worth $14.1 million and $5.6 million in guaranteed money. With that kind of investment, there is no doubt that the plan is for Taylor to start and get a plethora of touches. Subsequent to that, there was talk of Onterrio Smith possibly returning from his one-year drug suspension to back up Taylor, but the boat sailed on that saga when he was released last month; no pun intended. The one thing or person that has been lost in the shuffle in all the talk about the Vikings' running back situation is Mewelde Moore.

The third-year pro out of Tulane has impressed when given the opportunity. In his rookie season he made his first career start in week five against the Houston Texans , carrying the ball 20 times for 92 yards, while catching an astounding 12 passes for 90 yards. He followed up the performance the next week with 15 carries for 109 yards, and seven receptions for 78 yards.

Once again Moore set out to best himself the following week. He came off the bench and recorded 138 yards rushing on 20 carries and caught five passes for 30 yards. It was hard to argue with those stats, so Moore was then inserted into the starting lineup for another week. A costly miscue early in the next game against the New York Giants relegated him back to the bench and put him in head coach Mike Tice's "dog house." Tice was furious at Moore for the fumble and for all intents and purposes, that was the end of Moore's rookie season, as he only saw four more touches in the season's final nine regular season games and two playoff games.

This past season, his second in the league, Moore made his first start in week three against the New Orleans Saints . He carried the ball 23 times for 101 yards and caught one pass for three yards. He started the following two weeks posting stat lines of 14 carries for 57 yards in both, and in the first game he caught six passes for 63 yards, while making five receptions for 52 yards in the second game.

After not starting in week seven, Moore returned to the starting lineup for a week eight matchup with the Carolina Panthers , in what is now known as Culpepper's final game as a Viking. Moore scored his first career rushing touchdown on a four-yard plunge in the third quarter. In the game he only touched the ball 10 times for a total of 31 yards, and the aforementioned TD.

In a week 11 matchup on Monday Night Football against the hated Green Bay Packers , Moore displayed his skills for all to see, carrying the ball 22 times for 122 yards, and making two receptions for 16 yards. He followed up the strong performance with an average day the following week, carrying 21 times for 67 yards against the Browns.

Time and again in his young career Moore has shown that he is adept in both running and receiving out of the backfield, a quality than can be utilized greatly in new head coach Brad Childress' version of the west coast offense. The only thing besides the hype around Taylor that is holding Moore back now is his proneness to nagging injuries. In fact, he will be limited in this week's upcoming minicamp because of a sore wrist.

However, despite Moore's injury troubles, he deserves every opportunity to beat out Taylor for the starting job in 2006. In his career, when getting 20 or more touches, he has eclipsed the century mark six of seven times. Also, he has gone for 182, 187, 168, 104, 120, 138, and 76 total yards when receiving 20 or more carries touches. Not too shabby for a "backup" running back.

It's time people start recognizing who he is and as the song made famous by Fort Minor goes, "Remember the name," Mewelde Moore.

-Eric Krupka can be reached at [email protected]

Don't forget about "Me"welde

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Don't forget about "Me"welde

And with our (pray to God) better O-line, hopefully he and Taylor will have a easier time running this year!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet Guest

However, despite Moore's injury troubles, he deserves every opportunity to beat out Taylor for the starting job in 2006. In his career, when getting 20 or more touches, he has eclipsed the century mark six of seven times. Also, he has gone for 182, 187, 168, 104, 120, 138, and 76 total yards when receiving 20 or more carries touches. Not too shabby for a "backup" running back.
    The problem has been that there are very few times that a Vikings RB gets 20 or more touches. If you take any RB, including Bennett, and give him 20+ touches a game he does an order of magnitude better. I'm too lazy to do an analysis right now, but did do a few brief articles back in Sept. 2005 discussing this.

http://purplepride.org/index.php?name=Blogs&mode=user&nick=prophet)

http://purplepride.org/index.php?name=Blogs&mode=user&nick=Prophet&page=2

I'm glad MeMo is still on the team, but he is one of the most replaceable people on the team too. Average.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

I glad we have Memo. I think he has alot of talent especially pass-catching out of the backfield. I hope we keep him as long as possible but i see him leaving in free agency if some one offers him starter money and a chance to start. But then again if Chester doesnt work out for us Memo is more than capable to be the starter atleast for the rest of the year.

MightyVikes12391 is offline Pro-Bowler

Mewelde is inconsistant

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

The kid just gets it done on the field, period. Now if we could only keep him on the field .... Oh My !

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

i don;t like moore too much, but he could be a good backup IMO

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

MeMo is a RB, theres no question. Where the question lies is his health. Another thing to consider was our offensive line last year. IDK if Barry Sanders could have produced behind them.I think with a better line, a line up of Taylor and Moore will be quite good. They compliment each other well, both simular backs but differnt sizes.I love MeMo and I think he'll get his time to shine this year along with Taylor, and Richardson leading the way!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

If we could be sure his ancles weren't made out of glass, he should be up for some fairly good performances on the team.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I disagree with that article on one thing.. MeMo is a excellent backup at best.. If Taylor is healthy now, and has no limitations in camp, then he should be the starter plain and simple.. MeMo has had several chances to prove himself and be the starter. The problem he has, is he can't stay healthy. If he would have stayed healthy all this time, we would never have gotten Chester Taylor, and MeMo would be the starter right now.. The job is Taylor's to lose..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast