Thread: Dominating

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

Dominating

I only got to watch the game through cbssportsline but i must say the d is dominating BJ looked good and TJ had a 77 yard touchdown pass.Running game is still iffy but i believe it will come around.I cant wait for the season to start SKOL VIKINGS!

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Dominating

Yeah Baby! The D looks good so far! The depth looks good! I am happy with the D!

Tanner_QBRB8 is offline Pro-Bowler

the D has stepped it up each game so far they really punished baltimore tonight i can wait to see what they do next week

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Speaking of dominating, have ya'll taken notice to Farwell?
    This guy is absolutely tearing it up this pre-season.
    I think the Vikings might have a very solid future starting linebacker in that guy.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_BalGameRecap82506.html

Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

With the help of a fourth quarter explosion, the Minnesota Vikings (2-1) defeated the Baltimore Ravens (1-2) 30-7 on Friday night at the Metrodome. Two defensive touchdowns catapulted the Vikings to victory as defensive back Fred Smoot and defensive end Khreem Smith each scored touchdowns.

The night began well for the Vikings, as quarterback Brad Johnson connected with tight end Jim Kleinsasser on a 14-yard pass reception for a first down on the first play of the game. Two plays later, Johnson and second-year receiver Troy Williamson hooked up on a short pass. Williamson broke a tackle, lost his helmet and scampered on for an 18-yard gain. The Ravens defense stiffened up however, stopping running back Chester Taylor on two plays and forcing Johnson into an incompletion on third down. Kicker Ryan Longwell then split the uprights on a 45-yard field goal attempt to give the Vikings a quick 3-0 lead just 3:03 into the game.

The Ravens, led by veteran signal-caller Steve McNair, had a tough go of it on the night. Their first drive seemed to be stalled thanks to solid plays by linebackers E.J. Henderson and Ben Leber. An unsportsmanlike penalty on second down on Napoleon Harris gave the Ravens an automatic first down and extended the drive. Baltimore would not threaten after that, however, and the Vikings took possession at their own 20 yardline after a Sam Koch punt sailed into the endzone.

The Vikings second possession moved much like their first possession. Johnson connected immediately with Kleinsasser for a nine-yard gain and on third and short Travis Taylor hauled in a short pass for a first down. A 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty was called on Ravens defensive end Lee Suggs two plays later, giving the Vikings another first down near midfield. The Vikings came inches away from scoring just two plays later, as Johnson threw a pass to receiver Marcus Robinson downfield. Robinson clearly had one foot in bounds, but the referees ruled he was unable to put a second foot down in time. Head Coach Brad Childress challenged the call, but the referees ruled the play would stand as called. On third and five, Johnson again connected with Robinson, this time for a first down at the Ravens 25 yardline. The Vikings drive would stall after that however, as Taylor was held to little or no gain on two runs and Johnson's third down pass was dropped by receiver Travis Taylor. Longwell again came on to attempt a field goal, but was unable to convert, as his 44-yard attempt sailed wide right.

After the teams exchanged multiple punts, the Ravens finally seemed to be mounting a productive drive. McNair scrambled for one first down and threw for two more as the Ravens drove into Vikings territory. The encouraging drive came to a sudden halt, however, as Vikings defensive back Fred Smoot jumped a short pass and returned the interception 69 yards for a touchdown. The play ignited a sold-out Metrodome crowd and gave the Vikings a 10-0 lead with 4:50 remaining in the first half.

"It's something defensive backs dream about, even when they're professionals," Smoot said. "But it feels good to do it against a quarterback like Steve McNair who's just a great player in this league."
    The Ravens showed some resiliency on the following possession, quickly driving into Vikings territory. McNair connected on multiple short and intermediate passes and then hooked up with tight end Todd Heap on a key third and short conversion. The play resulted in a Ravens first down at the Minnesota 25 yardline with just 2:00 remaining in the first half. A Keneche Udeze sack on second down forced the Ravens into a third and long situation with just over a minute to go until halftime. A short pass from McNair to Clayton was not enough to garner a first down, forcing Baltimore to attempt a 46-yard field goal. The usually ultra-dependable Matt Stover missed the kick, however, and the Vikings took over on their own 37 with their 10-0 lead preserved.

Despite a beautifully timed out route from Johnson to Williamson on the first play of the drive, Minnesota was unable to move deep enough into Ravens territory to get a scoring chance. Time ran out in the first half, and the Vikings took a 10-0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

After a rough first half for both offenses, the second half didn't start much better for either team.

The Ravens and Vikings were unable to mount any kind of productive drive early in the third quarter. After Baltimore was forced to punt following a short three and out possession, Minnesota started a drive that resulted in the first points of the second half.

After a six-play, 51-yard drive, highlighted by a Wendell Mathis 19-yard rush, Longwell booted a 38-yard field goal through the uprights to give the Vikings a 13-0 lead with 5:15 remaining in the third quarter.

"It feels good to get out there and get my feet wet," Mathis said. "I just want to go out there and help this team any way I can, whether it's returning kicks or running the ball."

The Ravens were finally able to put points on the board during their next possession. Clarence Moore was the star of the drive for Baltimore, as he hauled in two spectacular catches of 44 and 16 yards. The first reception came on a first down play from the Ravens 34 yardline. Moore reached for the ball and held on while tip-toeing the sideline. The second catch came on the opposite sideline near the corner of the endzone. Moore leaped over Dovonte Edwardsd to make a catch on the Minnesota two yardline. The Ravens were able to score two plays later as quarterback Kyle Boller was able to reach the ball and hit the pylon on his way out of bounds. Stover added the extra point and the Ravens cut the Vikings lead to 13-7 just before the start of the fourth quarter.

The teams then exchanged punts on the next two possessions, with neither squad able to gain much yardage. Rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who entered the game on the Vikings previous drive, lengthened the Vikings lead back to 13 points as he hooked up with Jason Carter on a 77-yard touchdown strike. On the play, Carter was able break away from the coverage into the open field and Jackson threw a perfect strike to him as he burned down the sideline. The score gave the Vikings a 20-7 lead with 11:47 remaining in the fourth quarter.

The Ravens tried to spark their offense on the following possession, employing a no-huddle offense. After a long scramble by Boller to give the Ravens a first down near midfield, third-year receiver Devard Darling caught a pass across the middle and fumbled the ball after linebacker Heath Farwell put a crushing hit on him. Defensive back Ronyell Whitaker was there to scoop up the ball and the Vikings had the ball on their own 42 yardline.

Minnesota was unable to capitalize on the turnover, however, and they were forced to punt after just three plays. Kluwe hung his punt high enough for the Vikings coverage unit to make a fantastic play near the goalline. Whitaker was able to leap and grab the ball before it entered the endzone, batting the ball back to teammate Tony Beckham who downed the ball on the one with 7:27 remaining.

The Ravens began to dig themselves out of their own territory, garnering two quick first downs. Minnesota quickly ended the drive when safety Willie Offord intercepted an errant pass by third-year quarterback Brian St. Pierre and returned it 17 yards to the Ravens 26 yardline.

J.T. O'Sullivan came on to replace Jackson on the following drive and he led the Vikings on a seven play, 21-yard drive that resulted in a 23-yard field goal by Longwell, giving the Vikings a 23-7 lead.

The Vikings were not done scoring, however, as the defense would strike again before the game was over. On first and ten from their own 43 yardline, the Ravens were attempting to mount one last scoring drive. St. Pierre was sacked by Ray Edwards and fumbled the ball. Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards was there to scoop up the ball and return it 29 yards for the team's second defensive score. That gave the Vikings a 30-7 lead and would end the scoring for the night.

The Ravens were able to run just five plays on the next drive before time ran out.

The win lifts the Vikings pre-season record to 2-1, while the Ravens fall to 1-2. Baltimore will play next at Washington (8/31) and the Vikings travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys (8/31) for a their pre-season finale.

The Vikes 1st and 2nd and 3rd defenses all looked good and created mayhem in the backfield all night for the Ravens!
    Pressure on the QB's and tight coverage resulted in turnovers and 2 TD's for the defense.
    Smoot with a nice interception for a TD, but quit showboating and get into the endzone.

The 1st string offense looked good in the short passing game but the running game and O-line struggled and never really established themselves as we hoped they would by know.

The Vikes need to get the ball into Troy Williamsons hands more and let him make plays after the catch.
    He had 3 receptions for around 43 yards and he needs to be more involved in the offense.

McMahon looked bad again he looks lost and unsettled, should be cut.

T-Jacks first series was not great he looked a little off, but his second series he ran 8 yards on 3rd down for a 1st and then throw a 77 yard TD to Jason Carter, he should be the backup to Brad.

Heath Farwell had another great game all over the field and caused a fumble and broke up at least 1 pass and was the leading Viking tackler again by far.

Rookie DE Ray Edwards had a good game and I think he will make the team, he has been having a good rookie camp.
    Tonight he had another sack and forced a football that was taken for a TD.

All in All I was pleased with the game and hope we keep improving!
    Each week has been a big improvement in all areas of the game.

Longwell missed another field-goal from about 49 yards. but made 3 others (all short), and 3 extra points.

Kluwe punted the heck out of the ball again and looks to have no ill effects from the knee surgery, could be in the top 3 punters in the NFL this season.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Who ever moved my thread into this one, you could have at least moved this thread into mine.
    It at least had a name that said what it was about and was in the right forum.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet Guest

I was having flashback to the purple people eater days.
    Love it.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

From what I'm seeing on here, and read on NFL.com I'm really looking forward to seeing this game in an hour on NFL Network!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

to call our D dominating is an understatement..

they never let the ravens gain rythem.
    they stood up and made plays when it was needed
    they didn't do the mistakes we saw over the last few years
    they preasured qb's
    they stuffed the rb's
    and they hawked the ball's batting them down, swarming the inteded WR QUICLY

i am sooo impressed with this D.. not just the starters but our DEPTH!!

we will be turning heads in the league this year.. and it won't be with our one touch scoring ability..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall